Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air bag instead of coil over?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Rigg Fink, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Big difference between a lincoln and an A, Lincolns weighed a freakin' ton, I thinking they're gonna be pretty stiff,
    You might want to check them out "as in" test drive before you commit.
    I like the idea of the coil overs, I'd think you would have more control over the ride than with the bags .02

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I dont know how i would test drive em..no one i know even has an A..heheh except for you:D..well at least no one local.

i hope they are not stiff,, the guy i talked to on the set up said if you set up the upper mount where it needs to go on the correct pressure for ride height and load they should be a good ride.

he stressed the set up (as with most things we do) has to be done right.
    and matched, so its just like setting up a coil over set up..and we all know that can be a bitch too..or stiff..or spongy..or Etccccccc........................
    or 15 sets of springs for sale:mad:

If i go this route Gary..when we meet 1/2 way on our run I'll take you for a ride ..see what you think;)

3. If you do buy them and like them, i'd let you buy me some too, how's that :)

I didn't realize they were adjustable on both ends like coil overs, I might just look into them myself.

4. KaiserKruiser

KaiserKruiser

I have them on my kaiser and they are only stiff when i put alot of air in them. They feel like soft springs like i was on a boat then i install shocks and it felt just as nice as the stock ride. By the way a stock Kaiser rides as smooth as caddy or lincoln.

5. dirty custom 40

dirty custom 40
    from new mexico

I used them on the back only of my 40 coupe.The front is all oem steering.I really hated to get away form the leaf springs but the bags were the only solution to my problem.I had a 32 gallon fuel cell i wanted to install in my trunk.This is my daily driver and this car goes all over the southwest.You get into some pretty good stretches of back road desert and theres nowhere to get gas.I couldnt Z the frame and still put this tank in trunk.I bought some bags made a crossmember for the top,some lower mounts on the differential and made up a 4 link.I just leave the car at ride height,it doesnt go up and down.I got my big tank and an impressive ride in an old turd.They are very easy and versatile to use.I got the bags off a guy on ebay in phoenix for around 85 bucks including shipping.They have been on for almost 2 years trouble free.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sweet..are they like the ones i pictured?
    and so you think running a shock along with them is a good idea?

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

thanks for your input..this will be a cruizer A..no parking lot queen, or drag car..(no offense to the drag cars)
    its plan is to be out there driven in all conditions on all types of roads..the adjustability is very important to me

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i really would like to test em..but they dont let you test coil overs either:mad:

whats up with that?

I got a link at work to the guys i been talking to and looking at..if your interested, I'll try to remember to send it to you

9. dirty custom 40

dirty custom 40
    from new mexico

Not sure which you have pictured but mine are not the shock/coil over type.They are about as big as say coffee cans.Yes i do use a regular shock absorber also.The first one i tried were off a mid 80s gm mid sized station wagon.I recently changed to a 94 chevy van which is fine for my car because of the large fuel cell and a trunk mounted battery.Van shocks would be over kill for a model a.An s10 or a camaro shock would be a good start.Any way definately run a shock,it does make a differene in my opinion.The bo make different rate bags too i believe because i had several different options when i was looking at them on ebay.I have less than a 100 dollars in the bas including plumbing.The rest i made.

10. Please do bro.

11. Clark

Clark

No suggestion on the schrader valves.

I would think the shock/bag would work in that situation. We tried them on the front of a 40's truck and they didn't have enough travel. I would check what te travel is on them. I think the ones we had only had 3 inches of travel.
    Clark

12. Clark

Clark

BTW... ride is dialed in by the amount of air you put in.
    Clark

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i know one of them is
    Air Ride technologies..the other i will haveta get ya

air ride tech..are expensive bro

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

currently the ones im looking at have like 3 or 3.5"..but thats about all i got back there anyways

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

this is how mine would be set up, simular
    with the exception of A rear member, and pan hard, and 4 link

Attached Files:

16. 972toolmaker

972toolmaker
    from Garland Tx

My opinion is neither. Your entire car is riding on 5/8 bushings.Only works well for super light race cars that get changed often. Yes lots of people use them because it is quick and cheap. Will work fine if all you do is cruise the LOCAL D.Q. Michael

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

hey!..you been talking to my X girl friend or somethin?
    lies..all lies i tell ya:eek::D

18. Clark

Clark

3 inches is not a lot of travel to have a nice ride. I would guess you could set it up to allow 2 inches down and one up. Still not a lot.
    Clark

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

true, but from most guys with A's and coil overs..they dont have much more than that either

20. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

Not sure what you base your opinion on,but the previous owner drove my coupe to Texas,B'ville & back to Pa. I don't own a trailer & I drive it everywhere as well. Thats a far cry from the "local DQ".

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

good point..now my turn.

most leaf spring cars are riding on 4- 1/2" bolts ..so im not sure what his point was

and all those lincolns those guys were talking about earlier..were sporting bags ..riding on 5/8" harware too or maybe even less

and coming from a guy who is riding in one with em on ..trumps any assumption one might have

22. sawzall

sawzall

My head hurts

thanks to Clark xand Glasshole I am a bag convert
    I personally would not use the type posted originally
    Unless I alreadyhave a 4 bar or ladder bar
    a trailing arm as posted by Clark works stellar

I use a pump from a 80's era caddy and they are small!!

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well..I am going to see a set of coilovers a local guy has for sale here in Michigan cheap..he bought the wrong ones for his project and cant use them.

the price is right..less than 1/2 price of new, and I think the spring rate is what im going to be looking for too..even if it isnt with the price i can afford to buy some springs if i need to..

so , me being patient paid off again.

I might still buy the bags some day down the road
    A. if i dont like the ride and adjustability of the coilovers
    B. to test the ride of bags on this set up
    C. if i end up with some extra cash after the build is done

so hopefully this weekend i will have some work to do

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

On 30's era Ford cars, I've found that coil-overs ride like shit relative to a traditional spring. I don't know if it's the weight vs. spring rate issue or what, but I've ridden in quite a few coil-over cars and none of them ride well - including my '38. I wish to god I would have never put coil-overs on that car... Great for setting it up at that drag strip, not so great for the ride quality... And I've tried all kinds of spring rates.

As for airbags, I dunno... I wouldn't ever put them in the ass end of a car from that generation. Personal preference I guess. I bet they would ride pretty well though.

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

scored..

[​IMG]

Im going to give these a try..if i dont like them, i saved enough money to try the bag thing if i need to in the future

26. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Keep us updated on this. As I am going through the same crap. Want a good ride in the coupe but done want to have buckets of springs either.

Either going to be bags in the rear or coil overs.

27. I've had great luck with coil-overs for ride quality, but i always fit the longest set-up i can fit in, Usually a 14" spring and around 8-10 inches total travel. Truly think the extra lenght helps out the ride quality.

28. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Congrats dude those look brand new.

29. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

Cool! I cant wait to see how this turns out. I guess it could be whatever I get the best deal on at the time.

Keep us updated!

30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I can see that being an issue..im sure the longer travel you have and a matched set of springs to the ride you desire is the optimal set up.

but i dont have optimal conditions for that, so i have to go with whats out there and offered..these originally came from Pete and Jakes, so im hopeful that they are the quality units.