Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great! Now I'm addicted to vintage gauges!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Mar 10, 2009.

1. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

It's ok I'm starting an anonymous group.Called EBAY
    anonymous .It's for individuals just like yourself addicted to buying things .I'm not just a member Im a client .......

2. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

SCOOTER...SON SON you can buy new peroid correct vintage gauges...POP.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! And some of them are AWESOME!

4. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

SCOOTER...you can buy most peroid correct gauges, but we found a company about 10 yrs. ago who could rebuild the gauges with new parts for about the same price as new gauges...if my memory serves me...POP.

5. Algon

Algon

Did they have different name then? Autometer claims to have been making that gauge series for the last 25 years which would be when I remember them from...

6. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Autometer didn't make those in the 60s. Faria made them as a private label for Autometer. As far as I know that is how Autometer got started.
    Mark

7. Algon

Algon

That's interesting do you know approximately when that was? I've had a few Faria's and they date to at least the early 60's, Eelco sold Faria tachs with thier own gauge packs. All I can think of is 80's ProStreet-Monohrome-tweed sporters when I hear Autometer but many things can be dated much earlier...

8. HanelineJake

HanelineJake

The money clip with the 5 showing is a nice touch.

9. tdoty

tdoty

Totally not vintage gauge related, but didn't some older GM cars have a speedo driven off the front wheel? I think I recall reading that somewhere. Something like that might be the answer to Scooter's quickchange dilema. It might also be an answer for the electric speedo T-5 problem.......which is what has me thinking about a speedo drive off the wheel with a "converter box" to make it read right.

Tim D.

10. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5COwner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:DoNotRelyOnCSS/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; color:windowtext;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hello; can you share that Gauge Re-builder’s name with me?
    Thank you, Ric<o:p></o:p>

11. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I checked our file on Radatron and was able to pull the following info:

Began in January 1960. President was Vernon Siegel.
    Began at 232 Zimmerman St, NT
    expanded to 455 Bryant St, NT in 1964
    moved to Niag. Falls Blvd in 1966

In 1968 it was sold to Iroquois Industries of Buffalo - but apparently continued to operate as Radatron on NF Blvd at least until 1970 - I did not check any further than that in city directories.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Sincerely,
    Ned Schimminger, volunteer
    Historical Society of the Tonawandas

Also, I got received an email from a friend;
    They went out of business by selling their assets. They used to be on Zimmerman Street and then moved out to a old grocery store on Niagara Falls Blvd.

I owned one of his original radar detector units. It was battery operated and had no squelch so you heard static all the time. It was stolen out of my car when I went for a physical just before coming on board as a police officer in 1972.

http://www.guysoflidar.com/museum/the-first-commercial-radar-detectors.html

Company History: Mark IV Industries, Inc. is a manufacturing conglomerate with two main operating units. Mark IV Automotive makes automotive systems and components, including power transmission systems, air intake systems, fuel systems, and fluid-handling systems. The automotive unit is also involved in the automotive aftermarket, producing belts, hoses, and accessories. Mark IV Industrial manufactures power transmission, fluid power, and fluid transfer products for various industrial applications; provides mass transit and traffic management systems; and makes specialty filtration products. Mark IV's greatest asset, however, may be chairman and CEO Salvatore H. Alfiero's propensity for finding and acquiring small technical or industrial companies that are undervalued but are leaders in specialized or niche markets. Mark IV owns more than 70 plants in the United States and abroad.
    Early Years
    Alfiero, with an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnical Institute and an MBA from Harvard, and Clement R. Arrison (Mark IV's longtime president), a graduate of the University of Michigan with a degree in electrical engineering, met in 1967 when they both worked for Radatron, a Buffalo company manufacturing automatic radar detectors.
    After two years, they invested in Glar-Ban International, a small company in Cheektowaga, New York, that manufactured nonglare instrumentation panels for aircraft. In 1970 Glar-Ban bought Radatron, Alfiero's and Arrison's former employer, for $400,000.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  12. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

QUOTE - WANTED-- 1 or 2 <st1:city u4:st="on"><st1:place u4:st="on"><st1:place u5:st="on"><st1:city u5:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">lyons</st1:place></st1:city></st1:city></st1:place></st1:place></st1:city> wheelcovers to help c0mplete my set. thanks.Al.

I have a couple of questions for you; do you have a 100 mph or higher Speedo 2_7/8" face?
    And the <st1:city u6:st="on"><st1:place u6:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Lyons</st1:city></st1:place></st1:place></st1:city> wheelcovers are they just after market?
    Regards; Ric

13. nemlio65

nemlio65
    from northeast

yes me too

Attached Files:

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

If you are building a performance 60s car, all the really hot ones had the large 2 5/8" SW gauges. The wannabes had the little 2 1/8" 2 gauge panel. The big ones infringed on their honey's tootsies.

15. accessoryfreak

accessoryfreak

Looking for one of these radatron space saver II gauges, if you have one let me know. I dont check in here that much so email mail me please [email protected]

Rick

16. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

So Scooter what gauges did you pick? Pictures?

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pile of gauges has grown only slightly, because I've been pretty reserved about buying anything I don't need for the Model A right now, but here's what I've collected up to this point. The pile WILL get bigger... HA! :rolleyes::D:eek:

[​IMG]

I decided to stick with Stewart Warners. Older Stewart Warners, specifically. Here's the line-up so far. I'm having Classic Instruments make me a stepped bezel 6" tachometer to match the rest of the gauges. The CD sort of gives an idea of how big it will be. Also not shown in the line-up is the oil pressure gauge. It's mounted to the engine right now. Should be well-covered for monitoring engine specifics.

Tach, Speedo, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, fuel level, vacuum/motor minder, and voltage.

[​IMG]

18. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Looks good. Nice selection of gauges.

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    Some of you might like how the PO did the dash with the gauges mounted from behind eliminating one of the steps in the bezel. I've never seen it done this way with the usual surface mount gauges.

[​IMG]

I have a complete set of the large logo SWs for the P/U now. I just need to move the oil pressure from the roadster to the P/U and install the large logo gas gauge. Too many projects and the present gauges are working fine. Someday...

20. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

I got theses for my project, don't know much about them except they cam from Hupmobile. Just starting to get into it so hopefully I will be able to get everything to function.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. saveoursteel

saveoursteel

What a great hobby.

Attached Files:

22. saveoursteel

saveoursteel

Good stuff

Attached Files:

23. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

So you have OCCD ,over compulsive car disorder .Being an addict isnt easy ,Im jonsing for your guages

24. saltracer219

saltracer219

1965 Olds full size was one of them.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Saveoursteel, GREAT collection, could you ID the gauge panels, I know some are aftermarket and some are from production cars in the 1930's.

26. razorback

razorback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Sweden

a few new goodies!!

Attached Files:

27. Carter

Carter

Wow! What a fantastic collection!

28. Kinda surprised not to see many industrial gauges. Portland gauge manufacturer ISSPRO made/makes some incredibly accurate gauges and can be found as OEM on many big rigs such as Freightliner trucks.

One industrial gauge maker DATCON (not sure if they're still around) use to make some white on black gauges that were built with SW internals. Just didn't look as fancy but same accuracy.

Now the guys from Classic can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong but their start in the 70s was basicly rebadging Datcon gauges. And since then have expanded tremendously and are a true gauge manufacturer/ restoration business.

So check not only old firetrucks but check out old semis, there's gauge gold in them.

Didn't see any Pyrometers so far in this thread.

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! This thread is still going... Cool! I haven't purchased much since I started this. The dash is coming together nicely though.

[​IMG]