Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model a frame numbers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 510madmav, Feb 8, 2010.

1. 510madmav

510madmav

I've searched around and cannot come up with a sold answer. I have a supposed 28-29 A frame, I cannot see any numbers on it, Is it true that the numbers would be on the left rail behind the steering box?
    thanks

2. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

affirmative. On the top of the rail.

3. bct

bct

there are no numbers on canadian frames....maybe your frame was from somewhere else ....

4. aircoup

aircoup

is the body on there?, cause sometimes the firewall hid some of it

5. 510madmav

510madmav

Thanks guys, It doesn't seem to be ground off, shit now what.

6. mottsrods

mottsrods

buy you a title for the year and body style and stamp it yourself. just remember that Ford used the * in the front and back of the vin number.

7. chop32

chop32

Not sure if its true, but I was once told that early '28 frames didnt have numbers.

8. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

I have a 28 AR pickup and the frame doesnt have any numbers on it where they should be for a model a

9. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

Don't give up yet -- "behind the steering box" could be anywhere from there on back. Usually they're around the center crossmember but the one on my June '31 Tudor's frame was back around the brake cross shaft, a lot farther back than anybody thought it would be. Be gentle with the wire brush, it may yet be on there.
    Fearless

10. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Mine were on the top left rail, but covered by the fender it was produced in April 1930.

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The * indicated here means and outline five-pointed star NOT an asterisk.
    The configuration would be Star, Capital A (AA if 1 tonTruck), dash(-), sequence number, Star.

12. 510madmav

510madmav

All i have yet is the frame and a few model a body parts..no numbers
    I'd like to do this completely legal, so the 1st of next year i will try to get a scv number, I've been doing some research on it..

Thanks for the responses.. I'll have to look a bit closer at the frame tomorrow..

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

99% they are there just hard to see. my buddy picked one up and couldnt find them either. took me about 5 minutes and some sand paper.

14. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I had an AR frame and I couldn't find the numbers either.I have another AR frame now which I can find the numbers it's March 1928 frame.?

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FYI: This is a felony in California.

16. barry wny

barry wny

I found one illustration, this just shows the under the cowl location. Also like said near the front crossmember, you know when you got it all when you see both stars. Mine were illedgible because of NY rust, but I had the motor and they never fade out. Have to get a pencil rubbing of the numbers to take to DMV and they search it. If you can find the block you are in business unless motor was swapped. In that case the DMV search may show the car already registered and SOL

http://jmodela.com/numbers.html

17. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

I have a 30 Model A, and I found the number on the left frame rail near the brake/clutch pedal cross shaft. I had to completely remove the running board apron to find it...in the attached picture, I've marked the number and its' location on the running board apron so it'd be easy to spot again.

I have no idea if the location is exactly the same on 28-29 A's, but that's where it is on the 30 frames.
    Craig

Attached Files:

18. dlshady

dlshady

This is positively where they were stamped on ALL Model A frames used in US assembly plants, unless it was a service replacement frame. They might vary an inch or two, but this is where the assembly lines stamped the number when the motor was mated to the chassis. That doesn't mean that they'll always be visible after 80 years, but that's where they were stamped. And its not visible with the body mounted.

Deron

19. dlshady

dlshady

Definately not true. I've personally seen the frame of A745 and the number is clearly visible.

Deron

20. 510madmav

510madmav

Bingo. Found them! underneath a layer of old brown latex paint. Is this the vin? and how can i decode it?

You've all been a big help, thanks!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  21. 510madmav

510madmav

Also guys, what can i do to better preserve these numbers?

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to the surviving records, this is correct. Yes, that is the VIN.

Don't mess with the serial number in any mechanical fashion, like scraping out the stamping. It confuses the DMV people, and pisses off CHP. After you get it verified, you can remove the paint chemically and dissolve the rust, before you put a light coat of paint over it.

This number is you ticket to getting a REAL title, for a REAL 1930 Model A. If you don't already have sheet metal, then '30-'31 (no real visual difference) is what you want to look for.

Happy hunting.

Be careful about following advice regarding VINs from people outside of California. What works in other states can get you arrested here. It has almost happened to me, and I am dealing with the very same CHP officers and DMV drones that you will be dealing with.

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

its really not a Vin#..its more like a serial number..and there is no information to get from it other than where it stands in that years production..there were like 810,180 or so model A's made from 28-29

to find the year and date of the body there is a stamp on the left fire wall above the tank seam..it is a month and year code.

as far as the place of manufacture of the body..that is a code stamped on the first front seat rail (sub rails of the body where the front mounts are for the seats) that will tell you where the body was made..(what plant in what city)

Go to MAFCA..Model A Ford Club of America..lotsa info on it all..

Model A's came about way before our current numbering system..and informational system..its not going to tell you what options it had, or color, or interior etc...

for example mine ..the frame numbers start at around *5XX,XXX*..and its date on the tank was 12-28.(Dec. 1928).and the seat rail said it was (the code cant remember it off hand) built in Twinfalls Minn.

most of them were Black..with Mohair Interior..most options were add ons by the dealer or owner

That will be the number they put on your Title..call it a Vin# or serial# or what ever you want..
    but when you talk to DMV..the dumb ones will not see it as a Vin# because Vin# have like 14 numbers and letters or something like that..currently today

24. mottsrods

mottsrods

by the way, F%$&%$YHFDD California......that's why the rest of us have such strict and everchanging laws about this crap. I really don't care what they do in California. Is it also illegal to buy a replacment VIN tag from Dennis Carpenter and stamp it yourself to replace on a full restoration. NOPE. As long as it's an "A" frame, your not gonna have a problem with the DMV about what's on the frame. They'll look at the one on the cowl and engine (if original) and that's it. Don't be a dick to them, and they won't be a dick to you......

to the moderators...............i'm not getting political........just stating a fact.

25. 510madmav

510madmav

what tells you guys its a 30? i was thinking 29..

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

because there are more then 6 numbers..that puts it out of the 28-9 range.(well at least it puts it into the 30-31 range because of the 7 digits).there were only 800,000 some odd 29-9's.(The exact number is something like 810,180 or something like that).than in the 30 to 31 range it went to 7 numbers because shortly into the 30's they had already built over 1 million A's

those first 2 numbers are not the year..go back and read my last post#24

if you dont believe me go look at mafca.com

even if you do believe me..go check it out anyways..its a welth of information about our cars..the site is a bit hard to navigate but take your time..its cool

27. 510madmav

510madmav

Thanks man that's some good info.

28. 510madmav

510madmav

Thanks! this is good to know. Do you have a shop in Oakland?

29. barry wny

barry wny

30. 510madmav

510madmav

Wow this is great. Still can't believe i have the numbers. So if I'm building a body from scratch, you know bit-by-bit; and none of the panels will have a number..how do i go about that? Does the body need a number?