Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just bought 53 Poncho

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotty500, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Scotty500

Scotty500
    from MPLS

Just bought this 53 Pontiac, on one of the coldest days of the year here in MN about -10 at 3pm and tried to pick up on the another very cold day. This car was running and driving this past summer but did not have plates on it so I don't know how much driving had been done. It has a new Battery, Coil, Master Cylinder and wheel Cylinders. I don't think this car has been driven very much in the last few years. What are things I can do to get it ready for the spring. It has the Straight 8 268ci, what are other things I should watch for as well. Any help would be great as I'm not much of a mechicanic but I thought this would be a great car to get better at it. Thanks Scotty

Attached Files:

2. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Bitchin' ride man. I love me some old Ponchos. I would put a tune up on it, check the brakes, grease everything up and drive the wheels off that thing.

3. Right on Scotty! I have a yet to be finished 52 hardtop.

What harrington said x2.

You might check and see if it has an under seat heater (my 52 does) and if its in working condition check for air gaps in the surrounding tin. A local has a 51 with an under seat heater and it will cook the driver and rear passengers feet.

4. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

I like it! A 53 Pontiac will be my next project.

5. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Welcome to the Poncho club !!!!! Fantastic looking car !!!

You'll find yourself spending way too many hours touring around the countryside.

6. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

ooooooooooooooooo..........:cool:

7. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

8. Scotty500

Scotty500
    from MPLS

Anyone know where to find info on decoding the cowl tag? I've decoded the Vin tag already. Thanks

9. sweet 53'! their has to be somebody in hemmings. pm applekrate he's a pontiac dude bigtime.

10. katzenhammer

katzenhammer

and let us know if you need any help as well Scott.

11. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Hi Scotty, nice buy. I have been seeing the ad for a while and am glad to see someone bought it. My first car at 14 was one like this ($35 in 1968 with a shaky 2nd gear).
    you may want to check out the tires if they are fairly old, the tread may not be warn out but they could have "dry rot". I has one last summer with full thread rip apart on my 59. the old ones on the car looked okay, but replacing them all made a huge difference in the handling
    getting a OEM manual would be worth the money and do the scheduled maintenance on anything that you are not sure of

12. T42

T42

I was watching that one on ebay.....nice score!!

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ohhhh! Here it is!!! MMMM!! I love it!!!

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thats a pretty coool old road boat enjoy it id love to wheel it into a drive in

15. Your car is leaps and bounds better than mine. I wish mine had a straight 8 and a clean interior and body like yours. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]