Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not Another Harbor Freight Tool Thread!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlowandLow63, Feb 8, 2010.

1. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Out of curiousity, how many of you have small media blasting type setups in your garage?

While browsing at Harbor Freight today, I came across their blasters. The prices weren't ridiculous and I think it would come in very handy around the shop. I wouldn't use sand, probably soda or something not harsh. I would probably only be doing panels at a time I would think, but I have no idea how much media they consume, how efficiently they work, etc.

Can someone school me a bit and if anyone could post a review of the Harbor Freight ones, thatd be great. I looked at a 40lb, 90lb, and 110lb I think.

Thanks!

2. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I got their soda blaster for Xmas but I have not used it yet. When I put it together I added a tee fitting to prevent one of the flexible hoses from kinking -- over than that is seems OK.

3. Ruiner

Ruiner

Those types of blasters are very ineffecient, but with enough CFM's and pressure on tap (ie: a HUGE compressor) they work quite well...my advice would be to set up a 2x4 wood framework and a plastic sheeting for floor and walls so you can reclaim the media, then buy a media screen and sift the junk out, reload and keep blasting...

4. thesupersized

thesupersized

we've got their cabinet, it works good, it leaks a little, we are using aluminum oxide in it for rusty parts and stuff...definitely worth the 200 we paid.

5. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have a cabinet from HF, it has worked great for several years.

6. I have thier large cabinet, been through several dozen glass changes...and still blasting away!

7. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

I bought the 40lb blaster, after putting it together my buddy and I heard a hissing he put his ear closer just as the water trap blew up.Luckily it only cut his cheek.then after we replaced the trap we could not shut off the air because the shut off valve was broke.Replaced the shut off valve and now it works great!

8. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

My advice would be don’t support Harbor Freight of their cheep Chinese made shit. Can you find an affordable U.S. made blasting cabinet? Maybe not but I haven’t bought anything made in China for almost 5 years and I won’t until they float their currency. Why are we in a recession? Why is unemployment so high? Why is the standard of living going down? China’s unfair trade policies. Housing bubbles, banks collapsing, they’re all just symptoms of the real problem. Every time you go out and buy something made in China you’re saying it’s ok for them to cheat, to manipulate the economy, to take our jobs and destroy our country.

9. mottsrods

mottsrods

I've got the cabinet also....i use glass in it..works well..just wish it was bigger

10. evintho

evintho

I've got one of these............
    90 lbs media blaster

Works pretty well but goes through sand quickly. The trick is to have a big compressor and completely dry air. I have an IR 5hp/80gal/18cfm and my air runs through 2 water traps, a MotorGuard filter and a 3rd water trap on the unit.

To keep the mess contained I cordone off a small corner of my backyard with 1mil plastic sheeting ($2.88 for a 10' x 20' roll @ Home Depot). Then I lay a HF blue tarp on the ground. When done, I pull the plastic sheeting, dump the tarp in the garbage can and slide it out from under the sand. Sand is $3 for a 50 lb bag.

BTW, I got an HF flyer in the mail yesterday and the 110lb blaster is on sale for $99. Regularly $150. Use a 20% off coupon and pick it up for $80!

I also have one of these for glass beading small parts. I sealed the doors with marine weatherstripping, added a light, built a stand w/casters and I use an old shop vac hooked to the vent port. Works good.

[​IMG]

11. Adam McLaughlin

Adam McLaughlin

Damn Right, protect your way of life and BUY AMERICAN

Adam

12. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Yeah I have to side with lonewolf52,...sorry

13. thesupersized

thesupersized

sure, thats easy to say, but if you want to buy all quality US made tools for me I'll take them otherwise, i cant afford em. but for a not so often used tool, i do not hesitate to take a 10 minute ride over to my US economy pirates at harbor freight and spill the American wealth into foreign nations.

14. Too late. :eek: :mad: :(

15. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I bought the 90 gal jobber! It works alright. You need a pretty good compressor to keep up with the demand for air. The first thing I did before I used it, was to replace the cheap hose clamp thing at the bottom with one that you could tighten. I use aluminum oxide and it cleans small parts well.

16. Diavolo

Diavolo

I am making one right now using plans and parts from TP Tools. American made stuff, for all I know. Looks like high quality parts and I am confident it will work right the first time I put air to it.

17. ocool25

ocool25
    from Indiana

I have one of these one of the bigest waste of money I have made yet a real piece of crap! If you want to buy one let me know! Leaks like a sive and I had to replace all of the hoses right out of the box they were hard and cracked when you tried to uncoil them! Junk Junk Junk! but then what do you expect from Harbor Freight?

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

You'll notice I didn't ask for your advice because I don't want it. You'll also notice that I'm not talking about a blasting cabinet, but maybe you can't see that from your soapbox...

Thanks to those that replied with relavent information. Seeing as this thread is going to turn into a political pissing match, I'm probably not going to look at it anymore. Good day.

19. Search PA Blaster (pressure assist) here on the HAMB and the net (Yahoo groups)

They are a home built Hi/Lo pressure setup that works nicely.

20. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

If it's any consolation, the hedge fund guys are already starting to bet against the Chinese economy. The concern is that they have overextended themselves.

I agree that America needs more manufacturing jobs. I agree that America needs to produce durable goods of value - too much of our economy is dependent on middlemen (brokers, insurance companies, lawyers and the like) that just take their piece of the action and do not add any value at all.

That said, I would much rather see us manufacture high-tech items: aviation parts, rocket parts, computer chips, solar panels, batteries, submarines, turbines, high-end devices (NMR machines and the like), software and all manner of other sophisticated, high-value goods instead of cheap anvils.

21. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Just get a 30 gal or 55 gal steel drum and make one yourself ! I have a friend that did one and he just used parts from the local hardware store . Works good with no leaks .
    I have a nice size media cabinet that will hold a 15" car rim or intake ! Works great !
    As for the "Soda Blaster" you need a strong , big compressor with a very good dryer on it !

RetroJim

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Sad but true!!

Frank

23. I have one of the $99 HF blasters and it works great. I have a big Compressor and put a disposable filter in-line to keep the water out.

The trick I found is a good exhaust to pull out the dust, I use my Craftsman Shop Vac, I keep watching on trash day for a broken Vaccuume to hard mount.

24. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I got the small pressure blaster from HF a few years back. as with most of their stff most of it was junk and had to replace a few parts to get it to work well.

I did it outside on the cement and spent more time sweeping up and sifting sand and refilling the pot than I did blasting.

get the biggest one if you plan on doing a large project with it. I did the whole undercarraige and engine compartment of an OT car with mine.