Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which Body Hammer/Dolly?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by todd_a, Feb 7, 2010.

1. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

I see several brands of body hammers out there at different prices. I have read that some people feel that you can get away with the cheap ones and be fine but I like to buy decent quality tools. I don't want to spend more than necessary though. I will be new at this but plan to do much more in the future.

So, does anyone have suggestions of what body hammer and dolly I should look at? I like the Snap-On hammers, but they are a little high, but if that is definitely the way to go, then I will get a couple of those and it will be an investment. I also keep hearing Martin brand mentioned a lot and I saw a set of these with 3 hammers, a slap, couple of dollies, and even a file included for like $189.

I'd like to get some opinions from you guys.

Thanks
    Todd

2. duste01

duste01

You have to look at the finish on the tools. If you want to beat a junk finish into your panel then use a junk hammer. These tools are machine surfaced, or should be. I have many many grades and shapes, but I choose my weapon carefully for what I intend to do.

3. Dirk35

Dirk35

A lot of people from the metal shapers board suggested Dagger Tools. I got my set from them and love it.

4. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

well you hit the topic...hehe

as aguy in the trade and does it for a living werk and home.....

I am with the snapon hammers and dollies.......you want a well ballanced hammer....
    you also could look in you ocal pawn shops and or use online sites...

I found a lot secod hand.........

but for bigger spoons like 3 inch wide ones you will need to make you own......I used a leaf spring......

but it does com down to how much do you want to spend?

and you always get what you pay for

my 2cents

5. sdluck

sdluck

Who has the martin set for 189.00?

6. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

I have a set of Martin hammers and dollies that I have about ten years on. They have served me very well.

7. David Totten

David Totten

Ive bought a lot of nice hammers off of EBAY for 15 to 20 Dollars incl shipping. Look for SnapOn Fairmont. Proto all good brands

8. Ruiner

Ruiner

I own all Fairmont body hammers, I find them on ebay for great prices and keep track of which model numbers I have already so I don't end up buying two of the same ones...I'm not a pro, but they are more than adequate for the work I do...

9. blt2go

blt2go

i have a set of martin tool and forge that are older than i am, also some stream line. both are great and priced right. i have an old set german forged not sure the name but have outlasted two sets of handles.

10. davis574ord

davis574ord

I have been using snap on hammers and dollies for about twenty years yeah they are more expensive than others but very nice balance and feel to them u also get what u pay for you cant lose money on good tools especially body tools just my thoughts!!!

11. inliner54

inliner54

Martin hammers are good, snap on is great too. I belive martin hammers are cheaper, I own some of both the old proto hammers are great also.

12. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

[​IMG]
    I use these three the most,
    the claws more for hammerforming though.
    The maverick one is the money for body work.
    TP

13. Never2low

Never2low

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I see GREAT used old body hammers and dollies on Ebay all the time. They can be blasted/wire wheeled, and the faces polished very easily. MUCH better than buying Chinese shit, and way cheaper than buying new. Also check pawn shops and antique stores.
    The unusual ones, the ones I'm interested in, usually go for more money, but the standard ones you'd use most of the time, can be had very cheaply.
    Fairmont/Martin, Snap-On, Proto, are all good choices.

15. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have that Martin set and it has all you need in the kit ! Very good deal for the price .
    Dagger is also a very good one for the price too .
    As for the way over priced tools off the trucks , they are no better than these 2 . I am sure guys love the ones of the trucks but that's just my opinion !
    Which ever one you choose try to buy a kit . It's allot cheaper that way .

RetroJim

16. Graham08

Graham08

I bought a Snap-On starter set several years ago, and it has served me very well. I have also recently bought some Martin hammers and dollies. The Martin stuff is very nice, and the dollies were polished out of the box. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have bought a Martin set to start out. Equivalent quality to Snap-On, but more reasonably priced.

17. rexrogers

rexrogers

The best source for Martin hammers are through McMaster Carr, or go directly through any Martin branch some times you have to show the guys at the counter that they carry body tools most martin dealers are bearing houses.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm a fan of the Martin stuff, and they make the stuff for Cornwell as well.

19. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Dagger Tools is an alliance member here......

20. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

I just took a quick look at the Dagger Tools body hammers. They look nice. And as far as price goes they are definitely reasonable as compared to like $65 a piece for the Snap-On brand stuff.

Thsi kit looks like it would take care of me for some time. What do ya'll think? http://www.daggertools.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=CP07K

SKU
    CP07K
    Product Title
    Hammer & Dolly Kit
    [​IMG]
    Description
    Dagger Tool exclusive: panel beater hammer & dolly kit-8 pcs. The only kit that includes the three most widely used panel beater hammers: curved peen & finishing, pick & finishing(one with 4" crown face (DT2537) & our new high crown with 2"(DT3566) crowned face ) & bumping (DT2560). Dollies: thin toe (CP548) , utility (CP552) ,curved (CP554)and heel (CP553). All hammers & dollies are 1045 through hardened, forged steel with high luster polished surfaces. Molded plastic storage case. This is the best all around starter kit offered in North America! 2-year warranty.

Click here for additional specifications.....

Weight (lbs)
    Suggest Retail Price
    $128.95

21. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

I went through several sets of junk, then bought one of $189 Martin sets from Eastwood when they had some kinda free shipping BS a few months ago.

22. rexrogers

rexrogers

Sikes Pickavant another good brand. Streamline also check around for pricing on Martin The start up kits can be cheaper through your local bering house and you are spending your money locally

23. Master of None

Master of None

I use martin dagger and Snap-on. Out of all of em I like the feel of the snap-on handles in my hand,but I like the curves and shapes of the heads on the martins.

24. indyjps

indyjps

The set I got were hand me down as guys retired, dont know what brand but wouldnt trade them, couple were made by diemakers and actually heat treated.
    Came from a GM stamping factory from the metal repair shop, learned to lead from the same guys.

25. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

craftsman has a good starter set and I recall it's made by snap on for them, but for my money I'm a MARTIN man. spend the couple dollars extra on the fiberglass handles--once you use them you won't want wood handles again. I'm still building my collection. I by one or two new pieces a year, but eastwood carries a great starter kit that I wish had been an option when I started buying them.

26. Dirk35

Dirk35

The set pictured is the exact set I got! They are great.

27. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

My brother surprised me yesterday with a set from HF. 3 hammers with fiberglass handles and 4 forged dollies. I think they were under 40 bucks. Of course it would be swell to have to have all big name tools, but for the minimal amount of pounding my pickup needs, I think they'll do the trick. There's no doubt i'll pick up more of these type of tools, but I can't complain about a free starter set.

28. JKerb

JKerb

Check Faye Butlers' site. He has a page about hammers and dollies that is very informative.

I've been a body man for about 17 years, and have a large collection of hammers, dollies, spoons, and slappers. Proto, Fairmont, Martin, and Snap-on.

When it comes down to what the average guy/girl needs for normal dent repair and bumping, a dinging hammer, a cross chisel, a heel dolly, and a toe dolly. Alot of guys use a pick hammer, but they usually make more of a mess than a help. If you need to pick a low spot, you can turn the cross chisel to the corner and use that. For slappers, you can make those out of old files or leaf springs. Check with tool vendors,( Snap-on,Matco,Mac,Cornwell) they always have used hammers that they repo or buy back from the newbies. Buy the best ones you can afford if you want good results. If you don't, buy China tools.

My 2 cents.
    Josh K.

29. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

Yeah, Fay Butler's page on hammers is why I was still leaning toward the Snap-On ones. If I went that route, I would probably just get the 2 hammers for now and the toe and heel dolly. I was looking at the Martin and Dagger Kits with more pieces because I had been looking at the higher priced Snap-On stuff and figured I would spend so much anyway and if those are just as good then I can get more for the money, but "the best ones you can afford" seems to always point toward Snap-On. So many claims out there that these Martins are as good or even one claim to me better than the Snap-Ons. And Fairmont is now absorbed into Martin and blah blah blah.

I've always held the Snap-On brand in high regard, so maybe I should just go with that. I've looked around a little and came across some used ones out there for decent prices. Some kind of a deal might come up soon.

I was just thinking that if someone could give me some compelling reason that I should go with something other than Snap-On, then I would look into those.

30. 51 mercules

51 mercules