Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hawaii - Rods, Kustoms, Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Joker, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Just back to NorCal at o' dark thirty this morning after spending several days in Hawaii. Rather be back there. Did a couple of things on the Island Oahu first. Best thing was finding my way to 808 Speed Shop, near Honolulu. (see pics)The mention of The H.A.M.B. is like a golden key that opens doors that may not otherwise open. Met 50Merc808, who runs the shop, and Lucky444 who had just stopped by in his sweet Chevy. The Island guys have the same fever as the "Mainland" guys (most of you), kool cars. The small shop was full with some great rides. The best was the kustom chopped Merc. Some really nice work was done to it. Waiting for more attention was a '57 Ranchero. But, the '54 Chevy with natural Hawaiian style body work (rust ) will be a great parts runner. If you are just visiting, or live there, you need to go to 808 Speed Shop. Next onto the Island of Maui where I was so close, but with bad timing I missed most everything car wise. Saw several hot rods and lots of motorcycles cruising around near the town of Lahaina. In Kahului found a speed shop with Maui's Drag City on the window. There I found that was going to miss the '09 Season Finals of drag racing at the Maui Raceway Park. Bad timing on my part. Next time need to do more research before setting a dates for a trip over here. The beautiful Islands are something that you need to see. Glad that I did, and hope to go back. Aloha

Attached Files:

2. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

Thanks for the perfect timing of your post, Joker! We are going to Oahu and Maui next week and will check some of this stuff out. Now I am excited to be going!
    Eddy in Dallas

3. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Cool Stuff , Cruzr & I are out there in the beginning of December looking forward to visiting the Island HAMBers.

4. 50merc808

50merc808

Jalopy Joker thanks for swinging by it was good meeting you! Waiting for some inspiration before starting on that Ranchero, the 50 should be finished sometime mid next year, and the rusty 54 is getting on the road in a few weeks. Next time we'll go grab some hawaiian food, good luck on your project!

214GearJammer and Limey Steve it'll be cool meeting you guys!

ALOHA!!!!!

5. Hey any body coming to the big island be sure and stop in at 7 road speed and sport. Hoping to check out you Honolulu guys soon.

6. Lucky444

Lucky444

Hey Jalopy Joker, enjoyed "talking story" with you at Martin's shop. Good luck with your Shoebox build. Anybody else coming out to the islands can find links to some of the car events here at our group page...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=368

Next thing up is a good Cruise Night on the 5th of Dec. out in Hawaii Kai!

7. 50merc808

50merc808

Are you making the trip down here in June ? it'll be cool meeting up with you. Just let know if you need a ride from the airport , i'm sure one of us can give you a lift. where's 7 road speed and sport located?

8. beauishere

beauishere

Very cool. Although not really a hotbed of hot rod activity, Hawaii has always had a small group of top notch racers and car builders. My Dad and I built a '57 Chevy when I was in high school in the seventies. NK Bodyshop did our paint and upholstery and we had our engine rebuilt out in Nanakuli by Smokey Joseph's dad. I can't remember his first name but I remember he had bright yellow eyes from never wearing a mask when he welded. Still have the car and the engine still screams.

Back then you could still pull parts off tri-5s in the junkyards out in Waianae. Sometimes we found some just abandoned along the road way out in the valley. Haven't tried lately but pretty sure that's no more.

Gotta watch for the events to catch the customs in one place. Not a ton of daily drivers on the road for obvious reasons. But they're there. Looks like you found some of the coolest. Aloha

9. I am planing to come over when Kevin comes in June. 7rd. speed and sport is my shop where I live in Hawaiian arces ,Puna side of the big island.

Attached Files:

10. Lucky444

Lucky444

Oh man, that looks like a nice truck shaping up in your garage! See you in June.

11. Lucky444

Lucky444

Those must've been nice scavenging abandoned cars. Not much to pick parts from the side of the road anymore and the junkyards in Waianae are scraped clean. Nothing older than late seventies. If there's anything sitting, it's just a pile of rust in no time!

12. 50merc808

50merc808

Very Cool!

13. The Gonz

The Gonz

Hey boss I'm looking to finish up my roll bars, it might take a few mods you up for the challenge. I know you got the skills.