Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T: Diagnosis Cancer, Any Hamb survivors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobbyD, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Swede64

Swede64

Got colon cancer nearly 3 years ago even though the docktors told me i was to young (46) to have it. Stay positive, they discover new treatment methods all the time. Like almost everybody else says, positive attitude are very important. Best of luck!!!

2. farm boy

farm boy
    from reedley

Bobby;
    when I was 55 I was diagnosed with a very rare form of appendiceal cancer.....no known cure.....doc gave me 3-4 months....still have the cancer...still take chemo....I just turned '60'
    Just about finished my first cancer car and about ready to start the second (when your workin' out on the hot rod, cancer can't work on your mind)....the best therapy, I know...besides Prayer!
    when you get out of surgery or when your getting chemo, get out the lap top so you can log on to the 'Jalopy Journal', (God, I Love this place) so you can keep in touch.
    Keeping you in my prayers, OLY

3. chubbie

chubbie

BOBBY I remember the moment that the doctor said... you have cancer........wow but now I'm 6 months cancer free. and you can be too! keep us informed.

I started a thread when i found out... HAMB nazis shut it down!

4. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Hang in there BobbyD. Im sure you have plenty of fight in you to beat this.

5. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

You're not alone. I was diagnosed in September. I thought I had the flue.

I've had chemo and will soon have a bone marrow transplant. I've been off work nearly five months and it most likely will be a year or more by time I can go back. The good news is I have far more time to hang out on the HAMB!

I'm not a cancer survivor yet but I plan to be.

6. undergroundss

undergroundss

My Mother had Lymphoma. Found after a checkup. She had a lump on her neck. She's been cancer-free for over 5 years now. For her, a key factor in her attitude through it all was the fact that her Doctor kept saying that she could beat the cancer. I hope your Doctor has the same positive mental attitude.

7. I am a surviver! keep a positive attitude,read and educate your self. Have a loved one go with you to doctors meetings and take notes as you will not get everthing the doc is telling you. ask lots of questions.Good luck

8. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Bobby,

Yep, I'm one of those survivors too. I had the same thing you've got, in the same place.

(Looking back, I wished I would have taken a couple of those battery cap covers to the hospital with me..the red and back covers) I would have had fun with the Drs and nurses with those. I would have glued them on each side of my neck, cause I looked like Frankenstein when I came out...

That was half the battle, to make some sort of fun out of it all. I had fun joking with the nurses all the time I would go up to have my chemo treatments. It took a lot of the tension off, them and me. I had fun with my Dr. If you get to know him/her well enough. When ever I had a apointment with mine, I used to joke, "What's the matter with me?. "Need another car payment on your BMW?" Actually the $ was to put his daughters thru college. But we joked about things

You notice Bobby, there are many others here on the H.A.M.B. that have gone thru or are going thru what you are now. We came thru. So you can too. Having a good attitude....sure. But now...It only seems like going to a dentist a hundred years ago. I can hardly remember what it was like to sit in the chair all day, getting the chemo.

You'll learn that having fun with some of the other patients, you'll find yourself in a better mood.

If you're in where the kids get their chemo, you'll find that getting down and being a kid again with them, will help you and them.

No, it's not a walk in the park. It's flat ass scary at first. It will be until about your around third chemo session, then you'll start to find out, that the cells are shrinking, that you are going to make it. Just like everyone was telling you.

My Graduation day

View attachment 892146

View attachment 892147

View attachment 892148

View attachment 892149

View attachment 892150

View attachment 892151

But the end result......

You'll be ok

Best wishes Bobby,

HellRaiser

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  9. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Diagnosed in Oct of 2005 with advanced Rectal Cancer - went through a year of Chemo (2 sessions, one was for 6 months), Radiation & 2 major surgeries, it was not fun BUT I'm still here!!!!

Attitude is everything, don't let it get to you.

10. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

Hey Bobby...been there, done that...similar anyway.
    5 years ago (3 days before my 50th birthday) I was told I have cancer.
    Mine was neck/throat cancer that spread to one lymph node on my neck.
    I had to have a small tumor on my tongue removed & the one lymph node.
    Then went through 38 rounds of radiation and 4 rounds of being in the
    hospital for 4 to 5 days for constant drip IV of chemo. It's gonna be rough
    on you for a while, but you can make it. Like many have said, take it a day
    at a time. I survived and so can you!
    Hang in there buddy!

11. sun down

sun down
    from tx

Bobby,
    I have NHL Lymphoma cancer, mine was in the lower intestine, had 2 feet of small intestine and one foot of large removed, plus the tumor that was there..

This was Nov 13 th, spent 9 days in the hosp, since then I have received one chemo treatment and it went pretty well, a little tired but my body handled ever thing pretty well, each day I felt a lot better..

I will under go my second treatment Monday, with 4 left to go, each treatment is about 3 weeks apart, my cancer doc has advised me
    that my type of cancer is a very treatable one..

I am feeling really good today and can't wait to get all the treatments over with, so far I have not had to take any radiation... my Chemo calls for 4 different type of drugs plus a does of steroids each day during the week of Chemo with a follow up each week after chemo for blood work..

so far I feel mine is going well... I wish you the best and I am sure you will do well, being positive will help a lot.... I am 68 and will be 69 in June.

I did lose a lot of weight during my 9 days in the hosp and surgery, went from 195 to 165...I am just starting to gain a little of that back, I eat ever thing I want, just dont eat a lot at once due to the removal of that much of my inners... I feel good though..

take care,
    Fred

12. MLK

MLK

Bobby,

I am very sorry to hear you have cancer. Probably very close to the top of the list of the worst things you can be told.

There are many survivors on the H.A.M.B.

In November, 2007, I was diagnosed with Merkel Cell Carcinoma (yeah, WTF is that?)

It is a very rare and very aggressive cancer that is lumped in the skin cancer category. After surgery to remove the tumor and some lymph nodes and 26 rounds of radiation, I have been told I am cancer free (this one has a tendency to return in another form).

I have to have CT's and x-rays every 3 months, have had 2 mammograms (they were fun!!), to make sure nothing has returned.

The only side effects so far are scars on my right arm. Where the tumor was removed and they did the 'clear margins, it looks like a shark bite, which I have fun with when asked about it.

My oldest son had Hodgkin's when he was 21; he turned 33 in January.

My former Superintendent (I just retired!!), in her mid 40's, has survived breast cancer for 6 years now.

My director had some kind of rare cancer (can't recall the strange name) and had to have lymph nodes removed in his jaw and throat area and had lots of radiation treatment, that was 15 years ago and he is doing fine.

One of my employees who retired 2 years ago has survived Lymphoma twice now, and has been in remission for 4 years now, doing well.

As has been said above, attitude is key.

You also need to be VERY involved in your treatment, and question why and what they are doing to and for you.

I wish you the best and will say a prayer...that also seems to help.

Mike

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

14. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

Bobby
    And everyone on this board suffering this disease
    Please look into Reiki as a form of treatment
    Also if available in your area Laser treatment it kills cells and they don&#8217;t come back

15. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Bobby,

60% is pretty good odds! 60% is about what they gave me eight years ago, and I'm cured. Attitude is everything. Make sure you study all the treatments available for your type of cancer and you pick the one your the most comfortable with. Listen to the doctors, but also read and ask a lot of questions. If they won't or don't give you a satisfactory answer, then walk. Find the doctor you're comfortable with that knows what he's doing!

I'll keep you in my prayers and you can PM me anytime.

Pete

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  16. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

Im not a survivor but, my buddy at work as well as a family member both are. My friend at work had a brain tumor 10 yrs ago and now has a cancer that only like 500 people have. Through all of his treatments he came to work happy and upbeat even though he was really in bad shape. With that being said I agree with everyone that says attitude is everything. My wifes grandad is the same way and their both in remission. Keep your head up and Ill keep you in my prayers!

17. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Hi, Sorry for you .I know what you will have to go thru. I am a survivor from 98, have been C free ever since. Still do all I want to do. Had all the treatments. You can do it . Prayer helped me. Good Luck

18. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Not to hi jack Bobby's thread.....Ya know guys, there are a lot of us here that are survivors, and there are also quite a few that are undergoing treatments at this time.

Now that we're stuck inside with cabin fever, this would be a good time to maybe do some planning for a H.A.M.B. get together of all of us.

No I can't make it to the west coat to attend, and no I can't make it to the east coast either. But there could be get togethers on the same day, through out the country. It would bring awarness to all, and it would give us an excuse to get off our butts, get together and do something useful.

For me...I'm game for about anywhere, anytime within 800 miles of the Lincoln Nebraska area.

The ladies are having their run for awarenes, so why can't we???

HellRaiser

19. frank spittle

frank spittle

Bobby, thanks for starting this thread. I am sorry you are dealing with the big "C" but many of us have and many of you will in the future. This is a fantastic place to offer support for those like you from those like me. Prostate cancer at 64 over a year ago. Doing fine now. You will too. Many prayers for me. Many for you. It is more common than you think. You are probably finding that out now from all the posts here. Being diagnosed was the worst part for me. I felt sorry for myself for a day but then my attitude changed to survivor mode. I believe you are there now.

20. yardgoat

yardgoat

Cancer seems to run in my family.my dad first with a brain tumor then my mom with breast cancer then5yr latter throut cancer then 5 yr again stomach cancer and she didnt pull thru that.I had a Desmoid tumor that was cancer in my abdominal musles that was 20 yr ago now i have other digestive issues,related to the cancer.But things will be ok because i have a good church that prays and helps me................YG

21. Cancer really suck. I lost my mom and a really great mother-in-law to cancer. My best friend is a prostate cancer survivor. Every day we get to spend together (fishin or hot roddin) is a blessing for both us. It's all about having a positive attitude to get through it.

If you have the means, give to cancer research. One of these days we will end this dreaded disease.

22. brandonsgrandpa

brandonsgrandpa

bobby,
    i was given the bad news of my cancer in late june of 08.multiple myeloma in the third stage.there are only 3 stages.i was 67 at the time.i have had a very blessed life, except for the death of my son casey. i thought i was a goner. but i got a really great doctor that told me the truth about what i could expect to happen.he signed my up with a clinical trial and got me started on the life saving chemo that put me in remission by november. then i went to ohio s u for a stem cell transplant (bone marrow). 16 days in the hospital that was not fun BUT bearable. 12 29 was another check up with really great news.full remission.don't give up.take a recorder with you to the doctor because you will probably forget things you are told.my doctor told us to bring it with us. you really forget a lot on chemo.if i can help by talking call me anytime 859 356 3285. jim

23. txskinney

txskinney
    from West Texas

Bobby hang in there they have come a long way with treatments for cancer. May of 2009 I was diagnosis with multiple myeloma stage 3. Had surgery to repair damage to my left leg, 11 radiations treatments and 4 months of chemo. October I had a stem cell transplant. This last Friday had a bone morrow biopsy this will show if I am in remission will find out on the 15. The Lord has truly blest me to have so many friends and family praying for me. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

24. Fortress

Fortress

Prayers and best wishes...

25. Bobby, I have encountered more survivors than not within the last 15 years or so. I believe you'll beat this thing and come back better than ever. I haven't had cancer, but I've had heart disease. And, I'm here to tell you I came back better than ever. I'm a huge believer in modern medical science.

26. Master of None

Master of None

Thoughts and prayers with you. My father is a survivor prostate cancer.

27. b-bob

b-bob

Both my wife and i have had cancerous tumors removed and are still fine a few years later. Modern science has come along way and i believe that there are many more survivors than not . Like the others said, keep a good attitude and do what you have to do to get through it. All the best to you.

28. Thoughts and prayers from Montana

29. Bobby-D
    I would echo the sentiments of the others who have replied to this post.I was diagnosed with squuamus cell carcinoma of the throat and lymph glands in 2001 (Friday the 13th of all days)and was operated on 3 weeks later.What was originally scheduled to be a 2 hour operation wound up lasting 8 hours because of the rapid spread of this most primitive and unpredictably type.
    I was scheduled for radiation therapy five days a week for two months and chemotherapy once a week for the same period.
    As we were driving in to the hospital for my first treatment it was the morning of September 11th 2001(!).
    There were times when I was so sick from the radiation therapy I wanted to say screw it all but my bride and many good friends kept me going and today I am still cancer free.
    I say this only to let you know that first and foremost,ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING as is a good support group.Prayer is also a BIG factor.
    You WILL make it and you will be a better person for it.You will be in our prayers tonight and tomorrow when you go in for the surgery.

Ray Smith

30. pastlane

pastlane

Bobby, Best Wishes for a complete recovery.

To date I've beaten liver & lung cancer. My treatment was surgery each time, no chemo or radiation. I'm way overdue for a checkup & know I need to get back but damn it gets scary sometimes.

Attitude and a support system (circle of family & friends) is excellent medicine.