Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Law in California called the "Move Over Law"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonB, Feb 6, 2010.

1. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

New law that took effect in California beginning January 1, 2010. I didn't know anything about this until I received an email from a friend. Is anybody aware of this.

“The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license and a mandatory court appearance.”

New law

Subject: New law on 1/1/2010 ---> "Move Over" Law, (just in case you have not heard this)

New Law: If a patrol car is pulled over to the side of the road with their lights flashing, you have to move to the next lane (away from the stopped vehicle) or slow down by 20 mph.......Every state except Hawaii and Maryland and the D.C. has this law. In California, the "Move-over" law became operative on January 1, 2010.

2. bdr1

bdr1

It's been law in Georgia for a long time now...........some folks still don't get it though.

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Don't know anything about it, but could have also be called the common sense law #9,763.

4. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

I'm not sure about the fine but Law is on the books and the MAN is looking for anyone they can bust.

It's not really new just added Caltrans Vehicles to the list of emergency vehicles like tow trucks etc. and made law permanent.

You must slow down and move over, But only if it is safe to move over. They will get you on the failure to slow down.

Same law is in effect in many states so just another problem to watch for when on the road. I guess it could make sense. SO many people driving HUA and killing people changing tires or hitting Cops pulled over.

5. Thats just fucking COMMON SENSE. You should ALWAYS move over when there is a car on the shoulder. Doors can open, folks can jump out, car can suddenly get back into your lane. It is called defensive driving.

6. 61TBird

61TBird

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Here in Colorado too. It's about time. It's because of lame-brains that have killed several Troopers in the past couple of years. They just blither along, ignoring the flashing lights, don't give an inch.

It's a start, but the punishment shouldn't be a $$fine, should be putting their balls/tits in a vice and letting the Troopers' widows turn the handle................:D

8. HanelineJake

HanelineJake

9. bdr1

bdr1

Drive in LA or ATL rush hour once or twice and you'll understand the logic behind this law.

10. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Its been that way in Texas for awhile now. They will sit with one squadcar with his lights on and another one in front of him. If you dont change lanes or slow to the appropriate speed they will come after you. I cant blame em with all the idiots on the road nowadays!

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Anytime a dumbshit juggling his/her coffee, be-bopping to their too loud radio, illegally using their cellphone, and driving too close to a policeman OR a highway worker is busted, cited and fined is a good day for me.
    Self-centered trophy wives in their 3 ton Suburbans and Escalades are a common site around here. They are very important...just ask 'em:mad:

12. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Laws like this have to be made because most people on the road are either on auto-pilot, texting, or just plain stupid. Just drive down the road a see how many people aren't paying attention to what they are doing or they do that "if I don't look at you you aren't there" thing. We need to get the idiots off the road.
    As a asphalt paver I have to deal with these idiots. You would be supprised at how angry people get when you slow them down for 30 seconds. I have thrown many of shovels at cars. Bottom line, I am trying to fix the road so you can haul ass down it while pouring a frappacino down your throat, texting, and blaring Lady GaGa.
    Die asshole Die

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  13. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Love the trophy wife part...so true

14. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

The same law has come into effect here in Ontario Canada as well, long time coming.....

15. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

After nearly a decade of driving a tow truck and almost being hit more times than I could count, I can appreciate it but I doubt it will do much good there are alot of IDIOTS out there

16. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

yep. common sense. i dont wanna be the guy who mows down someone on the side of the road.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yeah we got it here in michigan too..as far as common sense goes we need a law for it here..too many drivers here have no common sense or common curtesy either for that matter.
    dont know what the fine is, and i will never find out, i was giving the curtesy since i got my drivers license..oh some 30 or more years ago.
    only some brain dead driver would take the chance at hitting some one or something on the shoulder of the road..no matter a cop or not

18. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Yeah "common sense" I've always done that anyway.....does anyone know the other 599 laws that went into effect Jan 1st in California.......:confused:

19. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see the dumb shit every time we stop the firetruck at an accident or whatever.....we now take the whole lane and angle the truck to funnel traffic away and protect us from the "dumbshits"....still scary! I feel safer inside a house on fire than I do on the road!

20. Been a law here for quit a while. I have yet to see it get enforced. They don't have the slow down to 20 bit because on the interstate that is likely to cause an accident.

Never the less think this through do you really think that the cop is going to leave a traffic stop to have another one? I'm assumeing that is why it doesn't get enforced here anyway.

Just move over a lane its not that big a deal. If you don't do it for common courtesy than do it so you don't have to clean cop gutz off your car.

21. N8B

N8B

My trophy wife would be pissed that you called her self centered! :D

22. VonWegener

VonWegener

Man, I need to move. I never get to see Trophy wives around here. All I see here in Escalades are welfare recipients.....

23. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Lets Talk about the opposite I've seen here, even more dangerous. When idiots see an emergency vehicle coming behind them on the HIGHWAY they pull over and stop on the shoulder of the HIGHWAY!?!?! Like it is a city street???
    Imagine the Weird that causes?

FLIP

24. Its the law to pull over there as well.

25. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

it's been a law in Indiana for awhile pertains to tow trucks too

26. 61TBird

61TBird

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

the only thing that bothers me is the "special treatment" part of it all..
    why just for cops or emergency vehicles?...should give this curtesy to any stranded motorist on the side of the road...sure is a bitch changing a tire as all those ass wipes fly by at70 to 80- 6" to your door, as your car is rocking back and forth on the flimsy ass jack they give you to change your tire:mad:

so what they are saying to me is a cops life is worth more than mine?..

28. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I repeat; It's a good law that probably isn't enforced enough, but the punishment shouldn't be a $$fine, should be putting their balls/tits in a vice and letting the Troopers'/Firefightes/Road Crew/Ambulance drivers' widows turn the handle................:D <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

29. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I lost a good friend who was changing a tire for a lady in 1984. Same thing. I've also seen motorcycle cops trailing a fire engine and pouncing on the stupids that didnt get outta the way. Yup, enforcing common sense. What has the world come to?

30. big creep

big creep

wow i didnt know that one. we have a bunch of new ones, the state needs money!!!!