Register now to get rid of these ads!

What street/City did you cruise in High School?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73super, Feb 5, 2010.

1. lorodz

lorodz

route 231 d.p.a deer park ave..from when i was 15 years old it was the place to be every friday ,saturday nite..still go every once in a while during the summer nites

2. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

yeah baby....used to call it cruising the Gut'
    we'd cruise Broadway while listening to KISN radio am when they still fronted burnside. between portland and vanc a guy could always find trouble at a stop light

3. foghorn62

foghorn62

Telegraph Road. Michigan Ave to Eight Mile. 72-75. 71 Torino CJ.

4. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

5. 117harv

117harv

Riverside and central in medford OR in the late 70's and 80's.

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Didn't cruise in the 60's because I worked 6 days a week, from 3 pm to midnight. The only day off I had was Tuesday. However, after work on Friday and Saturday night, it was Crenshaw Square behind IHOP for the Brotherhood of Street Racers.

7. benzjohn

benzjohn

Ennis, Texas from the Dairy Mart on Hiway 75 to the Dairy Queen on Hiway 287. 1955-56
    Dallas, Texas Texas Luann's off Greenville, Sybils on Fort Worth Avenue in Oak Cliff 1957
    Fort Worth, Texas Lone Star Drive In on West 7th and Clover Drive In # 2 on Jacksboro Hiway at River Oaks Blvd. 1958-1960

8. Through McDonalds-back to South Grand through Tops Big Boy, repeat as necessary etc. etc.:D

9. Sirweesarunch

Sirweesarunch

Rolllin around the parking lot at saddleback lanes in Mission viejo ,,, Eventually winding up at Orange County Raceway during the week for Grudge night .. Then scarfing MAcho Meat burritos on the way home from Naugles ... Good Ole days .. 1980 - 81

10. ezombie

ezombie

I cruised a few places. My cousins lived in carmelas on carmenita so i was always there but always went to some other places with my friends. Those were the good old days

van nuys blvd-- la
    market-- riverside
    hollywood blvd-- hollywood
    whittier blvd--- whittier

11. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Whittier Blvd From the 710 to Garfield then from Wilcox to Montebello Blvd then from Paramount to Passons in Pico Rivera

The Hole "EL HOYO" near Whitter & Soto in East LA

San Antonio Winery

Elysian Park at the base of Dodger Stadium

Hollywood

Santa Ana

The In & Out in San Fernando Valley (off of Lankershim i believe)

12. DrJ

DrJ

On my 16th birthday, after dinner and cake and ice cream at our folks house my three-years older than me big brother (19 for public school math people) said "lets go shoot some pool!"
    So we got in his '53 BelAir, that I nosed and decked with lead when I was 13, before he took it to "Earl's" to get the metallic blue paint shot on it, and we drove up Woodruff to South street and then East to an open field with a barn.
    It's kind of fuzzy now exactly where it was because it's not there any more, but it might have been at a dairy across the river and the Orange County line or where Cerritos Car mall is now.
    Anyway it was around where the 605 freeway is now.
    We stopped, and my brother got out and opened the barn doors and the he pulled inside where there were several cars under construction or just stored, then we fired up this Model A roadster pickup that he said belonged to a friend of his and we went cruising South street in the model A.
    We drove west on South to a place I think I remember it was called Black Jacks at the time.
    The place is still there but it's called Northern Lite night club now.
    Anyway, we went in and there was a vacant pool table so we started shooting pool and my big brother went and got a pitcher of beer and we killed that in the time it takes to make about three shots each and he went and got another one.
    So we are on our second pitcher and second game of nine ball and some "jerk" who works there comes by and takes one look at my virtuously wisker-less 16 year old face and says;
    "You guys got ID's"

So,

we hightail it out of there and get back in the Model A and drive on down South Street. in Paramount.
    We went about two blocks and one of Paramount's finest got on our noisy tail in a '64 Plymouth squad car.
    They hit the lights and my brother hit the throttle.
    It wasn't exactly a stock Model A.
    I took one look out the back of the pick up and at the same time saw the case of empty Olympia beer bottles in the truck bed and started heaving the bottles out the back of the truck at the squad car.
    Luckily this was before police helicopters and Fox news car chase coverage.

Now this was June and it was a hot night but it had been raining the day before so the ground was damp.
    Now, this was back when there were still totally vacant fields on South Street so my brother turned down a side street where there was a vacant field and turned left into it with the Black and White hot on our tail, but the field had been plowed recently and was muddy from the rain.
    We slipped and slid across that field but those 21 inch wheels and that light Ford kept going till we got back on South Street but I watched as the plymouth cleared the sidewalk and went rocker panel up in the mud and stopped dead in it's tracks, like a sleeping pig in a slop pen.
    Well, we took a few side streets back to the barn and hid the Model A away and got back in the '53 BelAir and took side streets slowly back to Long Beach.
    Best damn birthday I ever had, till my 21st, and that's a story for another day.

13. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

EXACTLY!!!! Dont know how old you are but might you know my buddy Don Gehrig??

14. Whittier Blvd...in East L.A. & Whittier late 70's/early 80's, Hollywood Blvd.

15. Blown Monte

Blown Monte
    from Delaware

Newark Delaware Main Street 79/87 I use to take my brothers Chevy Luv when I was 15 no license,,,,he was in the Navy.Got my first car a 70 Monte Carlo (still have it with a blower since 85)and that was it.I met my wife of 24 years there at the S turns.We did some drag racing and plenty of tickets too.It is illegal to cruise there Now.We have a 32 now,took it for a cruise there it SUCKS now.They KILLED a GOOD thing.

16. Blown Monte

Blown Monte
    from Delaware

17. bkap

bkap

In the mid-late '60s, up and down Speedway Blvd. in Tucson, Az, from the Johnny's Drive Inn at Craycroft Road to the Johnny's Drive Inn at Tucson Blvd. and back to the one on Craycroft. On and on. Sometimes we'd venture over to the Johnny's on Stone Ave. and then maybe over to the one on 22nd St. :cool: :D

18. teddyp

teddyp

i was sation at fort hood in 1966 we went to the pig stand alot and a place in austin called bartin springs people hung out there on sundays

19. Same here,there were some stout cars on 'Graph then. I had a C@#$%& then(no mullet),but hung around with some fast Mopar guys(they educated me away from Bowtie stuff). Thanks Frank,Lance and Chuck-wherever you are,I wish you well.

Got my license in '72 and of course,it was off to Pierson Rd. and Clio Rd. in the northwest part of Flint,Michigan(they intersect). Lessee...you had to hit the Burger Chef on Pierson,the A&W on Clio,the Burger King(my usual hangout) on Clio,and the McDonald's on Clio. Then,you gathered up the posse and went across town to harass your friends at the Davison Rd. McDonald's. The NW guys raced out on I-475(while under construction) and at "The Orchard" on Carpenter Rd. The East-siders raced on Richfield,out in the boonies(when it was the boonies) and a couple of other spots.

We knew about the Detroit scene,but few guys from here ventured down there. The reputation of the Motor City fast guys was well known,and occasionally one of the local racers(like Dick Ross) might tow down there and set something up with a Detroit racer. Thing is,The "D" guys would run you around for an hour,getting your car nice and hot,and then want to race. Smart;these guys had their cars set up to cruise AND go very fast. The other thing is,Detroit guys almost always ran through the mufflers,so if you towed a race car down there,you had better put some kind of exhaust system on there or risk getting busted by the local law. Refer back to the "drive you around for an hour" comment.

Damn,I miss those days.

20. indygasser

indygasser

21. indygasser

indygasser

22. i275

i275

Detroit anyone remember Steckler street, michigan + wyoming ? some real raceing on the week end in the 60s WOW

23. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Plains Texas. Main road was a mile long from one end of town to the other. One dog leg and no traffic lights. Hit 100 mph on it a few times. It was like living in Mayberry.

24. In the sixties we cruised Arrow Highway between the In N Out and J & M in Covina. Weekends it might be Bob's in Pasadena or the new one in West Covina. Summertime would find us on Balboa Peninsula, Beach Blvd. or Huntington Beach
    In '68 I moved to Phoenix and cruised the Big Boy on Central Ave.

25. rustyhood

rustyhood

Frisches Big Boy North Dixie Drive Dayton Ohio. Cruise the Dixie Strip then back to Frisches. Hot Rod hang out.

26. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Growing up in Toronto, there were so many places to cruise. Friday's was the 400 Drive Inn, then to Harvey's on Jane St. Saturday, was Young St. ( Willowdale to the Lakeshore) or Pincrest Speedway then ending at Harveys on Jane St. I had a 36 Ford Coupe with a Y block stuffed in for attitude. Harvey's is gone, so is the 400 Drive Inn, The 36 Ford and Pinecrest. Toronto will never be the same:(:(:cool:
    Harveys.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  27. derpr

derpr

lakefront in new orleans. the lake still there, but where are the cars?

28. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Northampton St. in Easton Pa. It was call the strip and it ran from the circle at Third St. to the Dunkin' Donuts at thirteenth St.

There would be street racing almost every night. Kept the cops on there toes every night.

29. LOWLIDX50

LOWLIDX50

Missouri blvd here in Jefferson city in the late 70s.

30. 2Hep

2Hep

Erie Blvd. in Syracuse, NY