Register now to get rid of these ads!

strength of quick change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrpowderkeg, Feb 5, 2010.

1. mrpowderkeg

mrpowderkeg

This is something that I have thought about and searched a little, but found no real answer. Would a quick change rear end handle the rigors of drag racing? I haven't seen any quick change rears in any sort of drag racing, mostly circle track stuff, so something has to make it unattractive for the drags.

2. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

A quick search on google images shows lots of drag cars with quick changes...I know a couple local guys that run them with lots of hp... Jason.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Pretty common back in the old days ie up into the 60's. With the advent of super sticky slicks and big power in the 60s they faded away in the faster classes. The V-8 style was replaced by the Champ in the later years of the 50s. They were useful when a lot of tracks were not asphalt ,change the ratios to help limit tire spin etc.

4. theczking

theczking

Slow reaction times and weight

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

unless you have a lot of coin i'd go a champ, the v-8 ones were used and can hold decent power, but at 2000-2500 a pop, i'd go with a champ that you can build for 500-1500 instead, and can handle almost anything you can throw at them within reason.

That said i still wouldnt put one between fat sticky's unless i could afford to replace it, but then again look at the abuse sprint guys give them

6. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

KEG...SON where do you think the QUICKCHANGE started. O YEA drag racers have used them for over 50 yrs. and there as strong as most rearends...POP.

7. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Well, they certainly did NOT originate with drag racing. They were in use in circle track cars from late '30s.

As far as strength is concerned, a V-8 style as originally conceived was no stronger than the stock banjo style rearend it replaced-think about it: Same ring & pinion and same axles. It wasn't until the champ style (based on the 3/4 ton Timken rearend) came along that superior strength showed up. Heaveir gears' axles , and full floating hubs.

8. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

I have a 1972 frankland qc,it is based on a 3/4 ton truck rear.I was told that a qc rear does not like shock ,as with a stick shift on the launch, never the less i have one,and plan to drag race it. my 2 cents

9. k9racer

k9racer

if you use what is called the 3/4 ton unit the axels will be the weak link.. they like to break at the drive flange or hub. plus its a lot of weight to move and robs a lot of power because of friction..

10. hotrodfrank

hotrodfrank
    from dearing,ga

running a 9"ford is a better plan, the main reason for a quick change was to make fast gear changes when you go from track to track on oval tracks, they rob horsepower and i would not want to trust one in a car that would really hook up.

11. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

A quick change is eye candy, I'll take the power loss.

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Fuel funnycars use to run them, ask Don Prudhome. [​IMG]

13. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't blown mine up yet, and I beat the ever lovin piss out of it.

-Abone.

classiccarjack likes this.
  14. I pulled mine out of a SCCA Roadrace car and pounded the absolute living F$#K out of mine for 26,000 miles... no issues...

15. BCR

BCR

Hey, you told me you just drove it to church on Sundays.:eek:

16. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

He didn't tell you where the church was though did he?

17. von Dyck

von Dyck

The 3/4 Ton (Timkin) based QC has the brass thrust plate attached to the left side bell to limit crown gear deflection. This feature alone allows the Champ QC to be less problematic than the V8 version, which omits this vital component.

18. krooser

krooser

The V-8 is OK for street use but it won't hold up with lots of HP and abuse...

19. BCR

BCR

I guess I forgot to ask!

20. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

FAIRFAX...I stand corrected, but my first time to see a quickchang was in the 50s. and when i speak of strength, i'am talking about today's units, like WINTER'S products...POP.

21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Winters V/8 around 500 hp safely, Champ, I think they say 7-800hp? I like a 9 inch better on the strip as it consumes less HP. Anyway that's what the big dogs say!

22. Hahaha... I forgot to tell you that the church was located in the middle of an Endurance Test Facility commonly known as the Pari - Dakar!:eek:

In other words... if I can't break it... you know it'll last a long time!;)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  23. Somebody should tell Flamedabone that his QC is wimpy...........

24. Schiefer QC was designed for drag race and road race cars. I have one waiting to go into my next project. 35 spline spool and axles. It lived in a drag car for over20 years.

25. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

They used them in more than one Top Fuel and Funny Car in tha 70's ...:rolleyes:

26. skwurl

skwurl

Will Ford bells work on a Frankland?Which ones if so?

27. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

Depends on your definition of Drag Racing. They were able to use quick change rears in the old days when they used to smoke the tires for the entire quarter mile and engines had less suds.

If you mean serious drag racing with 15 inch wide slicks, transbrake, and a big motor quick change will blow to pieces - even the heavier duty modern stuff. But if you don't have a heavy car and use street tires it will last a good while.

Sure does look good...better than any Ford nine-inch.