Register now to get rid of these ads!

junkyard brake assy for 46 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DD, Dec 26, 2009.

1. DD

DD
    from illinois

I was wondering if anybody knew,what car i could cabbage a firewall mounted brake pedal assy from? i am looking for this to mount in my 46 ford. Thanks

2. millersgarage

millersgarage

I was looking for this info too.

anyone got ideas?

3. Years ago, I used the pedals from 55-57 Chevy. Very easy swap; just be sure to use a
    reinforcement plate to firm up the firewall!! (Don't ask me how I know....)

4. 416Ford

416Ford

Why do you guys want to put the pedal through you cowl? Whats wrong with under the car?
    Just asking.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Because that's what they want to do, that's why!

6. kirby1374

kirby1374

I don't know the measurements but an early 60's chevy truck pedal works well in a 53 chevy truck

7. The traditional swing pedal assembly was '52 -'54 Ford.

8. 48ford

48ford

I used one out of a bronco ll.
    Had to make two ears out of angle to mount under the lip of the dash,but it fit like a glove.
    Thid was set up for an automatic.
    The peddle arm ran to the right side of the steering colume(gm tilt)
    Then I cut down the big peddle and mounted the original round pad to the arm.
    I used the bronco power booster,and the master is from a mid 80 E150 van.I needed a bigger bore in the master,as the disc calipers were from a mid 70 chevelle,and the bronco ll was too small.
    I put this together 9 years ago with no problems all this time.

hope this helps
    Russ

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Mid to late 80s Ford Bronco II... they are small and mount flat, and they aren't tilted like most of the GM models. I think the booster is 8-9". Looks really nice!!

48ford... you beat me to it!! :D

10. A couple of other good ones are '67-'72 Ford pickup and Econoline vans of the same vintage. I used a '52-'56 Ford pedal assembly on Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup because I had it on hand but it took a lot of modification to get it to work because of the shape of the firewall. The '40-'47 pickup and '41-'48 car firewalls are flat, so the '52-'56 pedal assembly would require less modification to work on those applications. '57-'59 Ford pedal assemblies are another good choice. The pickup and Econoline assemblies will of course be easier to find at the pull-your-own-parts places. I cannot overemphasize the importance of reinforcing the firewall with a piece of 3/16" or 1/4" steel plate AND anchoring the pedal assembly to both the dash and the steering column. If your front floorboard/toeboard is going to be welded in and tied into the firewall, that will of course further reinforce your firewall so it doesn't flex when you step on the brakes or clutch. The dash on these cars does double duty as a structural reinforcing member (and even more so on the trucks, the reason the truck dashes are welded in). Swing pedals are a nice improvement (no cold air, fumes, or water coming in around the pedals) but your firewall will develop stress cracks if you don't do the installation right.

11. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I am building a 46 Ford coupe and have a set of pedals from an 89 Mustang that I'm going to put in it. I had to replace the entire firewall with flat sheet and these will fit very nice. The booster bolts to the outside and is a small diameter so everything else will clear. I will take some pics when I get it in. Possibly tomorrow.

12. 416Ford

416Ford

Thanks 38fordpickup for the input. Still debating on what setup I will be using on my Dodge truck. Still leaning toward frame mount but this is why I asked my question.

DD, I'm sorry if this seems like I am hijacking your post but I was trying to bump it for you and find out my info myself.
    Good luck with your build.

13. mustangsix

mustangsix

I used a set from a Jeep CJ. That was pretty easy to mount to a flat firewall, but I ended up bending the brake pedal a bit to get it where I wanted it.

14. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Pics of the 89 mustang pedals in my 46 coupe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

I don't know about the pedals but that resevoir and booster is identical to the broco II!!

16. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I have a couple of buddies that swear by the early (pre-70) bronco setups.

17. oldchevy

oldchevy

I used one off a 85 toyota two wheel drive truck. It is small makeing it easy to move around on the fire wall to clear valve covers and under dash parts.