Register now to get rid of these ads!

NO PAPERS??? what to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CrusadersNV, Feb 2, 2010.

1. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

now that ive done the introdution in the intro section, now for my first post, which happens to be a question.
    ive just picked up a 1953 chev but it has no papers to go along with it. ive got a bill of sale from the guy i got it from. how would i be able to go about registering it and being able to get it properly insured here in BC canada?

any info would be much appreciated!

2. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

You could start with the Canadian DMV....

3. prl98

prl98

If you happen to have a friend that works in law inforcement have them run the vin. If it does not come back as regestered then go to DMV and apply for a duplicate pink and say that you lost yours over the years. Don't tell them that you just got the car, say you have owened it for many years and want to reg. it. But it will only work if it is not currently in the system.

4. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Get a pipe? It was the title of the thread that threw me off;) Dmv would be a good start.

5. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

Thanks prl98 i could try that. no friends in law inforcement around here though. ill try and BS my way through it somehow. being a young guy they probly wont believe me that ive had it for a while.

here in BC we have a thing called ICBC which is our insurance and i guess "DMV". this is the first car ive owned with no registration. ICBC isnt the easyest to deal with either.

if anybody from BC has any experience with doing this, please let me know. Thanks!

6. start by making sure the bill of sale has all the proper info on it,you can get a official bill of sale form from your local car insurance place.then take the bill of sale to the icbc head office in north van, its at 151 west esplanade north vancouver.there is a vehicle records department there, that you will talk to,they will guide you as what to do from there. its best if they ask, to just say you're restoring the car.but only if they ask.lol,i think this first step is like 15 bucks.hope this helps,good luck!

7. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

See if your DMV has a website 1st. If so check and see if you can find out any information on there before you go in person to the DMV. There are some guys on here and in the Roundup magazine, that offer titles for sale. I don't know if they can help you or not. Some states will let you register a car that is not licensed and isn't registered in your name if the vin doesn't show up in their system. In my state Ky. the car has to be purchased from this state. If you can't find any information on a website, I'd call first and not give a name and ask someone how to proceed. That way you have options because you are anonymous at this point. Good luck.

8. billjharris

billjharris

The easy way in Arkansas is to buy yourself a certificate of title and make a vin tag the same physical size as the old one and make the tag match the title.

9. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

It's best to ask these questions before buying a car like this, then you can get all of the necessary documentation to get a title. Talk to your DMV.

10. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

Threedeuce56 this helps out alot thanks. i live close to that address as well.

ive also heard of an assigned VIN. dont know what it is though.

only reason im having this dilema is that the car was free and its to solid to use for parts. normally i turn down cars with no papers cause ive heard of horror stories trying to deal with ICBC. when i go about doing this ill let people know exactly how its done.

11. flathead48

flathead48

LOL, I had to think about that one for a second.

12. is the car local from B.C.? usually they have some type of marking that says it was made in canada, like a "maple leaf". what year of vehicle is it? i remember the first car i bought up in B.C. and it was from alberta, boy what a can of worms unless you learn the different systems of the providences. a local car dealer helped me learn the system. here in wa. the system is much easier.

13. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

no the car was bought in sask. by the previous owner. he didnt get any papers with it either. might have to contact people over there.

14. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

worst case scenario after everything else fails, It's the bill of sale that transfers ownership not the title.
    or another way to say it the BILL OF SALE is the instrument which transfers ownership and the title is evidence of ownership.

According to Black's, Title is:
    The formal right of ownership in a property...The union of all the elements which constitute ownership. The right to ownership or the evidence of ownership.

title and certificate of title is really mincing words because they refer to the same right.
    the certificate of title is the evidence and the title (intangible) is the right.
    You can assert your right in court if you can prove it. That would be to satisfy the requirements for title.
    The court has the right to certify your ownership in a car over the authority of the DMV.
    You have possession, you have the bill of sale. It's possible you might be able to file an affidavit for ownership with the court, prove your right to possession and probably prove it is not stolen and has no lien against it and the court might issue an order granting you title in the thing. at that point the authorities would be bound by court order to issue certificate of title.
    It's a thing I came up with and have in my arsenal of last ditch efforts. i have not tried it yet. supposedly others have

I do know that this is the legal process by which impounds get certs. on cars they auction off even if the car has liens.
    They don't have a bill of sale but they do have a tow order by the local authorities. That's the due process that establishes legal possession.
    They don't have a certificate of title for it but they do have a storage lien. That is representative of a claim of interest in the property.
    If a court reviews the case they would recognize the highest claim of interest and along with lawful possession make a determination of ownership and grant title.
    That's why when you buy a car at police auction the title is a brand new one in the name of the authority usually the county sheriff's dept. that runs the impound.

Here in the states when there isn't a cert. of title.
    The sheriff inspects the vin and makes a report
    You send a registered letter to the last owner of record requesting title.
    You will either get a response or not.
    the response or postal receipt goes in with the sheriffs report and gets sent to the state which checks public record for theft or liens and then you have to post bond for 1-1/2 times the value of the car and they issue you a bonded title.
    the bond is to satisfy any superior claims of ownership which might arise after issuing title.
    after 3 years you may get your bond back and get a clean title.

for a bill of sale to be legal it needs to have a buyer and seller and a description of the thing transferred and the consideration (price)
    consideration can be in currency or can also be a description of property offered in trade

15. slammed

slammed

A BONG w/ice will take the harshness off it. And a better mindset to deal with the DMV.

16. mmm! a prairie car, must be in pretty fair shape. best bet is contact somebody in sask. and start the paper trail.

17. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Yeah - what he said...