Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel Sending Unit Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XsSpeed, Feb 1, 2010.

1. XsSpeed

XsSpeed
    from MD

I pulled the tank out of my 65 c30 panel. I ordered a sending unit from Classic parts and when it came it was WAY too deep. My tank is obviously an aftermarket one that's only 9 inches deep. I brought the sending unit to a real good auto parts place who sent it to their tank supplier in baltimore. They said they didn't have any to match.

Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. Domino

Domino

Does the sending unit not fit at all or is the arm too long? If the arm is too long it can be shortened. Another option is look into aftermarket sending units. Most gauge companies offer them to match the resistance of different gauges. Check at boat repair shops as well. A friend found an adjustable assembly for his old car there.

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

Does the sender look like a typical older GM truck unit? Float,rod and resistor assembly at the bottom of a steel strap with the round cover at the top? If so,then cut out a section of the steel to shorten it,use a few screws or weld it back together.Do test the sendor first because you own it after hacking on it.

4. squirrel

squirrel

search...someone posted a link to a 30 ohm sender that had adjustable height, not too long ago.

one of the big gage companies sells it, autometer perhaps?

5. mj40's

mj40's

JC Whitney has them and can be cut to length.

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it was Classic Instruments that carried the adustable depth sending unit, but I can't find the thread.

I do know the '65 Chevy uses a 30 ohm full / 0 ohm empty sender. The sender has to match the gage for resistance (Ohms)

7. squirrel

squirrel

Make sure you get the right resistance to use with your gage. Stock was 0-30 ohm, but if you have different gages it has to match whatever you have.

8. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Summit has one, #ATM-3262

9. XsSpeed

XsSpeed
    from MD

10. HanelineJake

HanelineJake

11. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

That is not the sending unit you need. Like Squirrel said, you need a 0-30 ohm unit to match your gauge.

12. XsSpeed

XsSpeed
    from MD

Maybe I should get another Classic Parts one and try to modify it....