Register now to get rid of these ads!

Outsiders go to work on AV8 Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nifty, Jan 23, 2010.

1. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Nathan, Model ''A''s are the BEST and yours is making its why to the TOP of the pile!I look frward to seeing and hopefuly hearing your rebuilt Flathead!

Nick.

2. This is the first time I've seen this build - fantastic work! Glad to see some of you boys running flatheads! Great build - keep it coming, us Yankee bastards like it!

3. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Some of us? Believe it or not there's a whole load of Flathead junkies in the UK and some serious diehards that are running the quickest Flatheads on the road you've ever seen. Check out the link, especially Jim Turnball's roadster and Mike Couch's 32.....enjoy

http://www.flatheadmeltdown.com/

4. Daisyduke

Daisyduke

You and Pete are doing some fine work. It's going to look amazing. Trouble is now Kelv has to make mine as good. Hehe. Was good to catch up with you guys and see it in the flesh. See you soon.

5. solid

solid

Great thread,awsome skills...

6. Absolutely Stunning!!! Keep up the good work! And, can I borrow your "Pete" when you are finished with him???
    Good luck!! although you don't look like you'll need it!!
    Charlie!!

7. Not trying to slight you guys . . . I'm heavily into flatheads and know that in the UK there are plenty of fellow flathead nuts!

8. nifty

nifty
    from UK

I knew you weren't trying to, no probs. The web link I posted is well worth a look though. Do you build your own motors? As mentioned there's a lot of guys here that are big on them and have a forum that's heavily influenced by Flatties, 4 Bangers, Ford/Merc/French V8's.
    I'd be really interested to know what you've got tucked away in the garage, project/running etc.

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Don't know how i missed this thread but neat work.

10. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

NIFTY...first let's get something CLEAR! whoever say's your an OUTSIDER has his head up his ASS! your more of a feal H.A.M.B. member than 52% of us in the states. WHY? because only 48% of the members support h.a.m.b. financialy. sorry (REAL MEMBER ) me included. but i live on S.S. which may buy me some slack. but my LOVE for h.a.m.b. is real! NIFTY please don't think all american's are like that, in my view your as important as anyother member...POP.

11. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Cheers Becky, great to see the pair of you too. Having seen Kelvin's work I know for sure that your Hemi powered Coupe is going to be a real head turner for sure.
    Anytime you fancy escaping the Forest and the monsters within, you're welcome here anytime.:)

12. Daisyduke

Daisyduke

Ahem:rolleyes:, there are a few Gals aswell running flatties...:D

13. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

NIFTY...man you people do great work, and believe me i know great work! we have some of the finest fabricaters in the world! YES? but you are our equal. i'am so PROUD to have you as a H.A.M.B. member. and that's for sure and certain...POP.

14. nifty

nifty
    from UK

That's cool Pop, it's actually a name that myself and Pete have been playing with for a little while, we're by no means a club (yet) but I kinda like The Outsiders as a name for us. Outsiders in the fact that we're not average Joe public, yep we're on the wrong side of the pond, we're not into street rods but do our own kinda thing.
    Been to the US a few times in the last few years,always had a great time. Unfortunately never been to any US car events or shows, I'm hoping that'l be rectified either this year or next.
    Thanks Pop, if you ever get a chance to visit the UK we'll make you feel welcome. :)

15. nifty

nifty
    from UK

.......and they're a force to be reckoned with;)! I appologise for my generalisation Becky and promise to right my wrong by making sure you're pint glass never runs empty of Malibu...haha

16. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Thanks Langy, Pete does some fantastic work.

17. Cymro

Cymro

nice work, look forward to seeing the a in the flesh sorry metal.

18. matt--8

matt--8

i need mine own.....haha but for now i will admirer yours, super work!!

matt

19. renrob5000

renrob5000

That exhaust is so nice my brain itches.....

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Outstanding build. The exhaust is as much art as function. Speaking of art, you could enter this build in the Friday art show and come up a winner. Please keep us up to date as you make progress.

Frank

21. nifty

nifty
    from UK

I just noticed that you posted a wanted add for a coupe or roadster on the Meltdown board. Hope you find what you're looking for Matt.

22. Cshabang

Cshabang

some very very nice craftsmanship going into your coupe man....Cant wait to see more

23. tinmann

tinmann

I just read this thread from start to finish for the first time. The car that you imported was a far cry from what you have now. Some awesome fab work in every aspect.

24. Craftsman & Artist, blended delicately into one person. Awesome job !!! :D :cool:

25. matt--8

matt--8

so do i haha, will be flathead powered.

26. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Thanks Fred, you know that Pete's the talent and brains...not sure what that leaves me with, haha.
    Hopefully you'll get to see it for real at the Super Nationals later in year:)

27. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Latest from the shed....
    I've taken the week off from work to give Pete a hand and try and get the body ready for shot blasting.
    I spent sunday honing my wood butchering skills.
    [​IMG]

Still got to cut the toe boards in and will eventually stain the lot with Danish Oil.

Drilled out all the broken studs in the captive rivnuts and tapped them all 6mm to make everything nice and simple later on. Stipped out the door glass after we finally discovered that the tops of the doors unscrewed (using a drill of course).
    Pete had a spare rolled rear pan that he coaxed into the rear of the car and made up a folded steel section to sit between it and the rear crossmember cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All was going well until half the town lost it's power, down with drill and flapper wheel and off with the body.

[​IMG]

We stripped the chassis down and set it on Pete's workbench, it was at this point we could see just how twisted it is.

[​IMG]

With chassis set upside down and one of the rear corners clamped down, the opposite front corner sits about 1 1/2" off of the table! [​IMG] Pete reckons he stands a good chance of getting it sitting right after fully welding the K member in and if need be applying some heat to the frame rails whilst clamping the whole lot to the bench. <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

28. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Good luck with straightening it out. If anyone can, Pete can.

29. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Cheers Mark, not far behind you now:D Who knows we could be hurtling around the Peaks in no time

30. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Noticed today that the front spring clamp appears to have been "adjusted", surely the 4 holes are supposed to be complete?
    [​IMG]