Register now to get rid of these ads!

" 327 " in my 57' Ranchero

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shocker, Jan 6, 2005.

1. 46stude

46stude

Right now, not a damn thing. [​IMG]

Its getting a SBC 400 & TH400. [​IMG]

2. Dirty2

Dirty2

You better put a STUDE in it !!! or a Ford !!! No a Stude with 2 4's

3. 46stude

46stude

I have a Stude 259 V8 in the garage on a stand about 5 feet from the truck. So why am I using a SBC?? [​IMG]

For the same reason as I think SatansRide should use a Y block in his '57- because its a direct bolt in. I swapped frames on my '46 to a Chevy LUV, & the guy I got the LUV donor from had a 350 in it. I have the motor mounts, so I got a wild hair & located a 400 to drop in.

So instead of going thru all the trouble to adapt the Stude V8 (or one of the 5 Y block Ford engines that I own) to the LUV chassis, I'm taking the easy way out & using an engine that will drop right in place. Makes perfect sense to me, although my bud Fordman75 thinks I'm off my rocker..... [​IMG]

4. Fordman75

Fordman75

You're not off your rocker Stude Dude! In fact all this talk about chevy's made me decide to start looking for a 55 Nomad to drop my 351W/C4 in!! [​IMG]

5. Dirty2

Dirty2

[ QUOTE ]
    Your not off your rocker Stude Dude! In fact all this talk about chevy's made me decide to start looking for a 55 Nomad to drop my 351W/C4 in!! [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yea and I'm looking for a 56 tbird to put a Kohler in !!!

6. Fordman75

Fordman75

That's a good idea! I've got a couple Briggs sitting around that are looking for new homes! Maybe an old Impala or Bel Air would work out. [​IMG]

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'd rather have a sister in a whore house then a Chevy motor in my Ford.

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I just came home from our local cruise night. Guy had a '51 Ghevy with a 351 Windsor in it. He said he got a lot of flak from the Chevy guys. I thanked him for putting the Windsor in. While SBC are good engines, they're so common they're boring. I believe even 7-11 carries parts for them.

9. vertible59

vertible59

And another one bites the dust...

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

You are my hero! LOL!

11. Dirty2

Dirty2

She prob is newb. This post is from 05 ! Shocker has dodge now !

12. The Shocker

The Shocker

Man ,i had forgot all about this old thread .Your right ,that 57 was about 10 cars ago .Mopar all the way now...

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

LOL I never even noticed the date. I guess my signature says it all.:D

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

What are you running in the Dart? I've wanted one of them for years, and for good reason. Years ago I went up against a '63 Dart wagon that looked like hell, red primer, rusty, muddy, etc. Unbeknownst to my dumb ass he planned it that way. He beat me by four car lengths, and later I found out he was running a hot 340 and just looking for suckers like me. I ate a big chunk of humble pie that night. When I saw the YouTube video of your car it all came back, and I have a greater appreciation for sleepers because of it.
    Please don't tell me you have an SBC in that dart! LOL

15. The Shocker

The Shocker

Hell no ,no small block Chevy in this one.Its a mild all motor 360 Dodge stroked to a 408 (that never sees more than 6100 rpm ),with 10 to 1 compression ,and a mild .484/.510 hydraulic cam .I know about the sleeper thing and thats what i love about this Dart.Nothing makes me happier than to watch people snicker at it when i unload it ,and then have them come over and want to look it over in the pits after i make a pass ,thinking it has a Big Block in it or spray...:D

16. 4ever18

4ever18

Hey, don't let SBCphobes get to ya! Folks have been putting Chevys in Fords for a VERY long time.:D

The swap should be fairly easy. years ago, I used the front crossmember out of a '57 Ford to mount a SBC in a '53 chevy pickup. The Ford motor mount uses a single bolt that runs somewhat vertically through the crossmember. I made up a couple of adapter plates to bolt onto the crossmember, like the original motor mount. These adapter plates were about 2.5 X 3 inches in size. I drilled a hole in the center of the plate and welded a nut on top of the plate so that the plate now fastened to the crossmember just like the Ford motor mount. I also welded a small tube near the top edge of the plate for the SBC motor mount bolt to pass through. Now the SBC bolted right in. No big deal. Lower the SBC into your engine bay and you'll see what I mean. Good luck.

17. The Shocker

The Shocker

Here we go again,i wish this ancient thread would have never got dug back up after 5+ years.That rusty ass ,$100 dollar ,parts car,Ford went to the crusher years ago ...

18. Chevydeuce

Chevydeuce

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I like that setup! Are you running the cast crank? I'd love to see the expressions when they find out you're running an all motor 360. I had a '70 Duster with a 340 and 4 speed many years ago. While rebuilding it I ported the heads and intake with a rotary file and drill. Took forever, but with the cam I put in it that little 340 would scream! If I remember correctly the cam ran out at 6500 RPM, and quite a few Chevy and Ford guys got humbled by that crappy looking Duster.
    Just checked out your YouTube link. One of my best friends lives and breathes Mopar and I'll send him the link. Post more!
    Eli

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I guess its my fault Shocker. I'll take the blame. For sure, the Chevy into ford into Mopar debate will go on forever. As long as its in good fun.

How about a 351 W into a Prius? Just kidding... or am I? lol

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  21. Rusty

Rusty

22. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

I can't wait to see how the ranchero turns out!! Please show pics!!!

23. The Shocker

The Shocker

You know how it turned out Jamie.It was too rusty ,and too beat to to hell for what it was worth IMO to finish.Rusted parts (and i mean ate up) were :both doors ,both 1/4s front and back ,both rockers ,core support ,tailgate, bed, hood ,both front fenders and rear pan .:eek: Only reason i bought it was because i wanted to chop it (which i did) and at $100 dollars i figured it was expendable.I set a 350 Olds and T350 in it once ,and was gunna redo the pan ,oil pickup ,and crossmember and make it fit ,but then realised that it wasnt worth finishing for what it was.I heard that it got crushed though ,proly made several Kia's out of it ...:)

24. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

I know. I was kidding.