Register now to get rid of these ads!

lost parts in garage.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by re-animator, Jan 30, 2010.

1. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Yep. When I was putting my Jeep back together(like 10 years ago) I lost a NOS radiator cap and never found it. I know for a fact it's still in the garage somewhere, ended up buying another one.

2. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

I thought that everbody did this, but it's amazing how many times I go over to help somebody out and they just want to throw all of the fasteners into a coffee can. I don't want to help with reassembly if they do that.

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lose stuff in my garage? Hell, I've lost stuff on my work bench and still haven't found 'em....

When I drop a small part on the floor and can't find it, I usually spend a half-hour looking for it and getting pissed off. I'll call my wife out to the shop and she'll walk in and find in about 30 seconds. She gives me that "women are superior in all things" look and just walks away smirking!

4. mj40's

mj40's

What! Do what I do, go buy a new one and for sure it will show up. Anyone want to buy a new project? I lost the hand held phone from my shop. Been gone for over a year. Battery is dead so I can't even call myself to find it.

5. The wagon is starting the 7th year of being a project and slowly going back together,,but having taken it apart 7 years ago sure I have lost some parts,,

Mostly small stuff like door lock holders(if that is a name for them:rolleyes:), the rods for the inside door lock knobs,the rod for the tail light that drops the tag when the tailgate is open.

For the life of me I can't figure out how I lost the front bumper irons,,,they are big and kinda heavy.

Thanks to Bob at Owens Auto Salvage,,I got the parts I lost. HRP

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  6. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

I put certain bolts or small parts in a place "where I can find them." Then when I need them, I can't remember where my secret place was....

7. Tank

Tank

I always seem to find the parts I forgot I lost, and not the ones I originally set out to find... But its still fun.

8. Last time I moved, I had to use a temporary storage facility in between homes as our new house was not finished by the time we had to give up possession of the old one. It was a good opportunity to efficiently box up and mark all of my tools and parts. Trouble is, now I simply can't find some of the boxes! In particular, I've misplaced one box that has brand new stainless hairpins (2 32" & 2 27") with stainless rod ends - not exactly the cheapest to replace. Hope they show up...

Steve

9. Here is a hint guys....its probably right there in front of you.Don't know how many times I have looked diligently for something only to give up and come back later and see it right there in plain sight.
    I have a system to find things.I used to put things up were they belong;you know, "a place for everything and everything in its place"? Well no more.Now I just leave stuff where I was working on it.Now all I have to do is remember what I was working on the last time I used it and viola!,there she is! Works so far..

10. Sky65

Sky65
    from Maryland

I loose parts and tools at an alarming rate in the garage. Have it in my hand and the next thing I know it's gone! I have a sure fire way to find it though. Just buy another one and the lost one shows up the next day. :D

11. A similar problem is when you keep turning up stuff you've had for years while looking for something else, then when you need it, it's gone. Because you put it in a " better" place and forgot where that is.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Wow! this is amazing. I thought I was the only person that this happened to. :):)

13. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

X2 And my wife thinks I'm crazy, just wait till I show her this thread and then she will believe me when I tell her the cookie monster took that tool and I can't fix the sink right now.:D

14. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

Hell by the time I find what I need I've had some much beer that I pass out before I use the tool or part.:rolleyes:

15. Tools were a big problem for me so I got these...... and Did this..... But still have a socket MIA.

Attached Files:

16. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I have the "I KNEW I PUT THAT SOMEWHERE" syndrome!!

17. yardgoat

yardgoat

I was rebuilding a CJ5 Jeep motor and while cleaning up the oil pump i put ALL the parts in one box.The next day i started to asemble it and o no wheres the 1/2 inch dia ball ?Thats all thats missing ,i looked EVERYWHERE in the garage and was upset because i was on a tight budget and didnt want to buy a pump.One month later,i was helping my 2 yr old son get something in his toy box and WALA,whats this ?I found it,the little stinker was in the shop that day but never thought he got it.I still love him ,cant help but love your helper,but they must put things back:):).I didnt have to buy a pump so i was happy.........................YG He,s 28 now and hates this story:D:D

18. x2 Damn underpants gnomes...

19. deucegasser

deucegasser

Thank god!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost checked myself into the nuthouse a few months ago. I was cleaning up the garage and behind a bunch of stuff was a stack of speedway motors boxes....full of new speedway motors parts. Hell,it was like christmas morning. 2 sets of frontend shackles, gas pedal, chrome perches.....Dumbass!!!

20. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

more often then not!

21. Somewhere in my shop is a boxful of Hudson heater cores for the Stepdown cars. I've got a dozen of the damn things, in perfect shape, that I can't find. I know they are in there somewhere. Probably buried under another box of shit that I can't find, either!

Lost my favorite screwdriver last week. It is my favorite, and used to belong to my Grandpa. Looked high and low for it until yesterday. Couldn't find it. Pissed me off to no end. Guess where it was? In the screwdriver drawer in my toolbox.

22. sledish

sledish

I've found that the easiest way to find a missing part or tool is to go out and buy another one, Right away the missing part or tool magically appears, and the great thing is now you have a spare !

23. +2. within 7 days you find the old one, guaranteed. If it's a part for a car, you have to have already installed the one you bought to replace it, first.

That's why most of the parts I've gathered for my '50 Chevy I put right in the car. As it is I bought a different dash to put in it and took it apart and I'm not sure where all the pieces are, just that they're in a box, somewhere.

I've even had this happen in my house with other stuff, regularly - once my wallet dissapeared. I found it a few days later, in a dresser drawer halfway across the room, under some clothes. How did it get there? I never laid my pants down there, someone had to have hidden it on purpose.

24. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

any one seen that pair of long nose ford spindles that were laying over there?

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

How exactly did you determine he is GAY? On second thought maybe I don't want to know the answer to that one. I'm just finding it hard to question a college educated, all knowing, contributer to this site and the mention of his activities taking place at night. Kinda leaves the possibility of "in the closet" activities taking place in secret. Just speculating...................:)

Frank

26. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

it's a little known phenomenon that even with a perfectly flat garage floor, the presence of the car cause space time to curve directly under it's center, so whatever you drop anywhere in the garage will roll directly to the middle of the car underneath. Just far enough where you have to lay on the floor to reach whatever it is. here's the George Carlin bit from the tonight show.....losing things!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTgUT1cJv3o

27. This thread has made me cry alittle....Thank you-I am not alone!!!
    For so long I was convinced of one of two things: I was either losing my mind or my shop was haunted! Every job always takes twice as long because I have to hunt for every #$%^$# wrench, tool, or part even though I had it in my hand only minutes earlier! It's gotten uncanny!

28. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Lots of truth in that! I've been cleaning out my garage, found parts for cars I haven't owned in 10 yrs, and have no desire to own again. I must have thrown out 20 empty boxes, too! Amazing how much more room I have now. If you don't go thru every drawer once a year, you forget all the cool and useful stuff you've squirreled away.

Last two major jobs I've done, I used the plastic sandwich bag trick for every nut and bolt, clearly labeled, stacked in a neat row on the workbench. It saves SO much time! A box of a 100 costs about a buck.

29. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

The sweet voice of reason.

30. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

You mean that brand new oil filter you bought for your truck you sold 5 years ago? Nope never.