Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chopped windsheild question.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grumpy, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

I want to know what methods are best for cutting a front glass?

Are there companies(or HAMBers) that can make me a new one?

I need one for my newest toy.

What can ya tell me?

Thanks all.

2. 38pickup

38pickup

Darn Double Post. DELETED by 38pickup

3. 38pickup

38pickup

What I have done in the past is make a cardbord templated and send it to a local auto glass shop, and have them cut me a peice glass to the pattern.

4. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Thank you

Thank you
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll have to call the local places. I wasn't aware, nor have I heard of anyone local able to do that.

I will check though.

5. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Is it curved glass or flat? Flat can be done locally curved is a different story. I have seen places on line that will make a one off windshield if you make a 3d template but I have not priced it.

Dave

6. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

yeah, it's curved.

I was told that if I sink the windsheild in a box full of sand, the take a belt sander to it.
    They said the sand would absorb the shock. and sanding it with a belt sander slowly would work.

Anyone have a comment on this method?

7. steveb

steveb

There was an article in Custom Rodder sometime in the mid to late '90's that showed Elden (?) Titus cutting a '63-'65 Riviera front glass using a type of grinding disc. Lots of water & time went in to the job.

I also saw something on a TV show where they used a glass cutter to score a line, then heated the glass up along the line, melting the safety layer inside. The glass separated at the scored line, & they cut away the melted layer.

Steve

8. fastcat

fastcat

there are a couple methods explained in tex smiths book on chopping tops.

9. Tony

Tony

A friend of mine has done a few. The way he does it is with a sand blaster.

Install the rubber in the opening, then make a template of the 'new' windshield out of posterboard or something similar.
    Then lay the template over your stock windshield. Then mark the glass about 1/8 to 1/4 larger than the template.
    He then mask's off the windshield with layers of duct tape ( where the template was) insuring the sand won't get through and destroy the glass.

He then makes passes across the glass with the blaster slowly eating away the exposed area. when it gets to the plastic, he cut's that with a razor and proceed's to do the same to the other side.
    Once the exposed area is gone, your left with a VERY sharp olmost razor like edge where you blasted.
    The reason he mask's them off larger than they need to be is for sanding the egde, and final fitment of the windshield.
    That edge must be sanded by a glass shop, of someone who has the equiptment and knowledge to do it.

He's done quite a few with good results.
    In fact, i have to cut mine for my 53 chevy and he told me he'd show me how to do it.

I don't remember what he set the pressure at, it was a while ago we talked about it..

I'm sure there's a lot of different ways to do this, but so far this seems to be the one that many guy's have done with good results..
    But, like all the rest, you still run the risk of busting your windshield..thats why i have two now..and may even get another just for insurance.

Tony.

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[ QUOTE ]
    In fact, i have to cut mine for my 53 chevy and he told me he'd show me how to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

.....and you'll be sharing the experience with us by way of a tech post, right ???? [​IMG]

11. flatshoebox

flatshoebox

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah, it's curved.

I was told that if I sink the windsheild in a box full of sand, the take a belt sander to it.
    They said the sand would absorb the shock. and sanding it with a belt sander slowly would work.

Anyone have a comment on this method?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend that did just that on a 50 caddy..no sand, but it took him 2 weeks, couple hours a night..think he said the key is going slow and letting it cool offen....
    <font color="green"> YOU CAN SEE THE CAR IN THE NEW HAMB CALENDAR! </font>

12. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Cool. Thanks guys

BTTT for those who may have missed it.

It's a important topic to me right now.