Register now to get rid of these ads!

WARNING - Avoid travel on I-40 between TN and NM !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trulyvintage, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Jason,

I take it you will not be swinging on the glider tonight
    I see in your picture ;)

Jim

2. jason65

jason65

Nope. Not a chance.

3. The Cap'n

The Cap'n
    from Kansas

It's a big problem for trucks in that area, I know quite a few drivers are scrambling to get to their deliveries because of the weather.

I thought it wasn't so bad up here in KS with only a few inches of snow. But a woman proved me wrong today when she rear-ended me. Fortunately the car didn't get too much damage but I'm sitting here with a heatpack on my neck and my buddy Jack to help ease the pain.

Just a friendly reminder to all the other like minded people who get a little cocky in the snow, take it easy...better to drive a little slower than run something or someone over!

4. Yea My answer to some problems was the same as those two guys in the movie Second Hand lions. A 12 guage loaded with buckshot.:cool: Any way My family got me the sign for a gift.:) It now at my parents farm.( scared away potential customers) OldWolf

5. The strange thing is we have less snow than that here in New Hampshire. It's sure been a strange winter so far.

6. Sorry, I had to fix that. If global warming is for real, how did the last couple ice ages end without us all out there in hot rods and SUVs and all farting stinking up the place to put that CO2 in the air? No one can ever answer that. But it's easy to point to evidence that the people in favor of it just want an excuse to A: make money, and B: control all our lives. That's enough for me to know it's crap. So my suggestion is not to get into that debate here.

Anyways, ice is different especially in places that don't prepare for it. Snow is no big deal, I kind of enjoy driving in a snowstorm if the traffic's light, it's sort of like a challenge, but even I don't have the studded tires and chains you'd need for icy roads. So best to stay in if you don't have to go out. Was nasty enough here today, 12' or so for a high, blowing, snowing, I was going to do some outdoor stuff today and decided to say screw it - didn't even try to clean out the driveway. Which would just blow back in again anyways, but the excercise wouldn't hurt me.

7. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

We got about 8" yesterday. (just a dusting) Before Christmas, we got 4' in one storm. If anyone is running out, I'll send ya some.

8. crazy. It's been the BEST winter EVER out here....

9. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I've done it of over 20 years and I don't care who ya are, it ain't no damn fun trying to ice skate and keep all 18 facing down and not up. You said it right, just find a safe place and stay off the roads

10. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I was watching the weather channel this morning and they mentioned that the storm had hit 1500 miles of I-40.
    Kind of like Mother Nature got a road map.I'm outside of Nashville and it is getting slick!

11. Terry

Terry

What is that? A pig?

12. B Blue

B Blue

Right on! When you add heat to a system, it becomes unstable. That is exactly what we have been experiencing the past 20 years, unstable, unpredictable, weird assed weather.

Bill

13. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Started snowing here about 3:30 this afternoon. 5 inches in 5 hours so far, and they say the heavy stuff will come later tonite. We hadn't had anything more than a dusting of snow anytime during the past 5 or 6 years. This year, 14 inches a week before Christmas, ice storm on Christmas eve, and now they're saying we'll prolly get 12-14 inches outa this one.

During the first half of Jan, the daily high got above freezing about twice. Looked at the weather channel one day about lunchtime and it was 18* here, and 40-something in Boston. Really crazy weather.

14. First rule about ice: It doesn't have to be thick to be slick.

15. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Reports that came in here said Amarillo had 3 inches of ice. Trucker said his truck was covered 2 inches thick. I don't care who you are, where you grew up and how much expertise you have driving on snow and ice. When it gets fu*king 3 inches thick you aren't damn Mario Andrettti.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  16. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

bullshit??? 1,700,000 miles no accidents last 12 years all conditions sun rain snow ice blizzard.
    you have to know how to drive on ice to drive on ice.
    Ice does have traction.
    and you have to have good tires, better than 50%
    You have to have have a cool slow hand on the wheel and a mellow temper.
    anyone that could be cool and tactical in a firefight or anywhere else and not let their fear or anger take them over has the skills.
    the only thing that I hate is when you can't see where your going. That definitely puts me in the truckstop.
    I prefer to run I80 and north in the winter.
    Gotta watch out for the supertruckers that think they can run full speed when the weathers bad, and the bumperhumpers that want to ride your hood or put it up your backside so tight it looks like your pulling doubles.
    whenever anything get's stupid out there it's someone outdriving the conditions and bunching up.
    whenever anything bad happens it involves noobies, kenworths, peterbuilts, lit up chikkin trucks, and anything looks like it might belong to a farmer or pulling a race trailer more than 70% of the time. Most all close calls and bad accidents I've seen were caused by Billy Beltbuckle Supertrucker getting all rowdy.
    I don't like to drive in the vicinity of Earnhearts but they are going so fast any problems they create being rowdy happen behind you or fall away from you in front of you.
    The ones I really really don't like to drive near are the timid drivers. when they are faced with a situation they almost always do the wrong thing.
    I find (for fair weather conditions) if I do about 3-5mph over the speed limit, the rowdies will haul ass on past you and not create any situations for you (just watch your mirror and stay out of their way so you don't create a situation for them)...and the timid drivers most always do the speed limit or a little slower so if you drive 3-5 mph over or 5-10 mph under the speed limit, most everyone stays away from you.
    Some people are warm impulsive and summer minded, others are uptight tactical and winter minded, I'm more of the latter. I'll leave it at that.
    I find the farther north I go the cleaner the truckstops get, the more respectful and capable the other drivers get. Everyone's still good people and friendly wherever you go, just different capabilities and tendencies.
    I sold out my equipment and I went back to construction during the summer. I'd like to go drive northern Canada or the north slope through the winter.

...so I guess you are right after all... I can drive in it all and handle my rig and I did it successfully but It's absolutely impossible to avoid other drivers that can't or don't have the right attitude for it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  17. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I said ice has traction but I thought about it more...
    I was kinda wrong...
    It has traction when it's froze hard and cold as hell. It's when it's warm enough for tires or air to melt a film of water between the tire and the ice that it's got no traction.

18. Torchman,

Ice is just in the wrong place where I am today ....
    It just belongs in a glass with a good shot of booze :cool:

Jim

19. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

awww yeaahhh!

20. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

Well 24 years as a driver and I have been though it all, been in snow where I could not see the end of my hood, so just listen to the road, if you hear a Thump Thump Thump move to the right, and if you hear Vroom Vroom Vroom, move to the left.:D

21. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

Hey the snow don't last forever up here, it will all melt away by June.:D

22. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Jim I ran on some roads last week with ice... I was blessed no problems but my butt was puckered up enough to eat some material in my truck seat... The Florida trip this week was nice 75 degrees yesterday... You just sit tight and be careful. No need to harm yourself or any equipment
    racinman Rick

23. We can cause we have salt. Down south no salt , different story.

24. Below 10 degrees F, salt doesn't mean shit.

25. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Interesting topic; Denver Co. is sunny & clear today, my brother lives up in the hills east of Albq. NM & is getting a bunch of snow. southern parts of the country are seeing a bunch of it for the first time, the winter olympics near Vancouver BC are hurting for snow for the events. Does this make any sense?

26. bigmitch

bigmitch

bad weather is not the only thing to worry about on the raod,,here is some pics of my truck wreck in alabama on interstate 20 dec6,2006 i hit a cow in the middle of the night,,and broke the steering,i ended up in a riverbed up to the visor,,i had a load of mattel toys, a light load ,thank god !!![​IMG]

27. It's getting MUCH easier to move around central Oklahoma today. The Interstates, State highways, and the urban snow routes in OKC are pretty much clear and wet, with slush in spots. Side roads still suck, of course. Temps were hovering right above freezing Saturday, so much of the really crappy stuff is melting quickly...only to refreeze tonight, of course.

Still several thousand without power in southwestern OK, though...I'd much rather have power and be stuck at home than have no power AND be stuck at home.

28. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

clear in Amarillo---sun is shining--35 degrees--melting fast

29. Yep all we need to dois turn off the sun in the summer and the winter wont be so cold:rolleyes: OlDWolf

30. Looks like the lows are above that down there.