Register now to get rid of these ads!

does anybody make a quiet elec. fuel pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glendale, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I bought a Holley from Auto Zone , hooked it up and was a dud ! Took it back and they gave me another one . hooked that one up and worked fine but loud . Couldn't hear it over the exhaust unless I was at an idle . That one lasted about 2 months . Went back to a stock until I find one I can rely on .
    If there is an electric on that is reliable that is NOT in the tank let me know .

RetroJim

2. SlamIam

SlamIam

Carter P4070, quiet, reliable, no issues.

3. thanks for all the answers eveyrbody. the Carter P4070 seems to be the popular choice so i think that is what i'll go with.

4. cyclejim

cyclejim

Something to try . Put eltc pump in large plastic soda bottle and pack in some gel packs. To pick up the vibs

5. 427c.i.

427c.i.

6. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

I have a Carter 6V in my A - can't even hear it with the key on and engine off. But maybe my ears aren't what they used to be ;-)

7. My Carter rotary pump is quiet , can only hear before start up, it's mounted back at tank.

8. I had one of those Holley Blue pumps in my 74 'vette [430 HP 383] and it was really LOUD! I'm gonna go with a 4070 Carter for my dual quad pontiac in my 34 coupe.

9. Ice man

Ice man

I had a pump on my 29 Pk Up mounted on th firewall flange, used to drive me crazy. Well it finally went bad, so I got a cheepy from NAPA,(3 #) mounted it down on the frame and now I never hear it. They like to push rather then pull. Iceman

10. Dirk35

Dirk35

I too have the Holley blue........ loud as hell! Dont get it.

11. wsdad

wsdad

Short lengths of rubber hose just before and after the pump further isolate any vibrations.

Rubber pump mounts quiet them down, of course. But the sound also transmits through the solid metal gas lines to whatever they touch next. (Kind of the same principal as using a screwdriver as a "mechanic's stethascope" to listen for trouble inside an engine.)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  12. bobo

bobo
    from New Jersey

I belive the Carter 4070 electric fuel pump has 1/4 inch outlet, is that sufficient to run a 300 hp SBC or will the motor run lean at higher RPMs?
    Has anyone had problems?

13. PxTx

PxTx
    from PA

bobo, I've had some similar concerns with using this old technology. Fact is, guys were going fast with them back when, but figuring out the winning combo can be tough. Here's a tech article form 1969.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I know that Holley Blue pumps have been used on thousands of cars over the past several decades but I've always considered those noisy things as disposable. They're relatively cheap and they do get the job done. But they are a 'vane' type pump where these little black vanes slide in and out of their respective slots against the walls of the pumping chamber. These vanes can stick and even break sometimes. Holley does have a very neat style of fuel pump that they came out with several years ago. It's their HP125 and HP150 models and they actually look like an oil pump internally with their Gerotor design. Kinda pricey at $185-$215 but very nice looking (and sounding) pumps. A wee bit off topic here, but I've always been a fan of a good, high quality Mechanical pump if there's any way at all that it's an option. If it has a large 3/8-1/2 feed line, high flow filter and a good fuel tank vent, a mechanical pump is capable of supporting lots of HP and be dependable. Sorry for the stray!

15. bobo

bobo
    from New Jersey

PXTX
    Thanks for the imformative article on the electric fuel pump.

16. rainh8r

rainh8r

Wednesday I threw out the AC/Dupree pump that I couldn't get to work again and called Sac Vintage Ford to ask them about 6V pumps for my 32 BB (they listed a 6v for $45). They have quit carrying the AC/Dupree/Stewart Warner style pump and several others due to diaphram failures. They believe it's the modern fuel that is killing them, so they have gone to a new design and supplier to find something compatible with modern fuel (now $75). I ran the AC style for years, and they worked fine as long as they don't run dry. The spring on the contact base will break and the diaphram will split if it runs dry for long.

17. PxTx

PxTx
    from PA

I'm not sure the fuel is the reason they stopped carrying them. To the best of my knowledge Warbro stoped manufacturing them and they is probably why they stopped carrying them. Warbro moved the manufacturing of this product to Mexico several years ago. Now the demand for those pumps is so low, they decided to discontinue them.

I agree the alcohol in the fuel may be a little tougher on the pumps, but I'm not really sure the failure rate is as high as it can appear on these internet threads. I did speak to an an engineer who worked on these pumps for a long time. He recommended buying the service kit (which is still available) and replace the bellows as the fuel degrades it over time.

18. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Maybe the article was not completly scanned? The carter was not listed in the comparo chart.....funny how the flow chart and text has nothing but good things to say.
    Dave

19. I've run Dupree pumps back in the day, believe some were even branded Steward-Warner and possibly other makes. Are they still being made? Or are they a swapmeet find kinda item?

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I also use the Carter pump but mount it on small cotton reel rubber mounts, Never hear it :)

21. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

the edelbrock pumps are real quiet

22. PxTx

PxTx
    from PA

If you read the text under the chart, they say that the chart data was supplied by another source, but it was accurate with all of the pumps they tested.

SO yeah, some of the pumps the article tested were not done by the people who made the chart. The Duplex Motion pumps were not on the chart either. I guess incomplete articles are nothing new. I read stuff today that also have holes in it and are not very scientific. It's nice to have some useful data though.

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

on summitracing.com: Carter P4070 pump $76 & Edelbrock 1791 $155. peace and quiet not cheap

24. Alcohol in fuel destroys the diaphrams in the older pumps...and I'm not sure that it's not eating up diaphrams in the newer pumps. Diaphram pumps are inherently noisier than rotary vane types...and rotary vane type pumps will never fail due to alcohol in the fuel. For quiet and dependable, my money is on the Carter 4070 pump, with the NAPA vibration dampening rubber mounting Kit...along with short sections of inlet/outlet hose at the pump fittings. I scored 2 of them, by accident, on Craigslist $70 for both. One used, in new condition, and one brand new in the box. Both work great and are really quit. Once they're pumping fuel, they really quiet down...

25. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

If the pipes are so quiet that you can hear the fuel pump, it ain't no hot rod!

26. Lucky3

Lucky3

Any "Gear-rotor" style pumps are quiet when the engine is running and they are pumping fuel. If the engine is not running, and you don't use a bypass they will cavitate and also make noise. Still have to mount them on rubber and I use a cut out from a cheap bicycly inner tube behind the mounting flange....

All of the BS being said.........and I quote......

If you can hear the fuel pump over the pipes, the pipes ain't loud enough !!

27. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

If you are running Holley 94's, you need a regulator no matter what pump you use. They do not like pressure above 2.5 psi, the lower the better. Don't use the cheap "Spectre" round-dial type, they are junk. Use the Holley regulator made for low pressures.

28. Does anyone know the overall size of the Edelbrock 1791?

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My pump was crazy loud, so I went on a mission to quiet it down. I started by drilling the mounting plate holes out so 3/8" hose would fit in the holes. Then I used a thick rubber pad between the pump bracket and the mounting plate. I ran the 1/4" bolts through the bracket, then slipped the pads over the bolt, and through the short pieces of hose. Then put another pad on the back side, and a large fender washer with nylock nuts. After all was assembled I tightened the bolt/nuts until they were just snug.
    This method of isolation really works great, and I can only hear the pump when I first turn the key on and the engine isin't running. Once the engine fires I can't hear the pump at all.

30. Fenders

Fenders

I have a Carter P4070 and I think it's LOUD.