Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmh

jmh

Cool old dirt mod..with the dirt too!! John:D

2. veedolpaul

veedolpaul

Say hi to Don for me. I miss those Saturday nights when he would start in the back and pass everyone to win. We still rooted for Stockwell .

3. [​IMG]
    Bentley warren
    [​IMG]
    billy cane..anyone know any info about this?
    [​IMG]
    Blackie Watt, sweet ride, like the #s and scheme

4. [​IMG]
    Barefoot Bob McCreadie
    [​IMG]
    Brett Bodine
    [​IMG]
    Ben Stephens..any info on this wreck?

5. [​IMG]
    Bob Bruno leades Billy Wimble
    [​IMG]
    Bob Bruno
    [​IMG]
    Bob Karvonen

6. [​IMG]
    any info??
    [​IMG]
    Bob Bushey
    [​IMG]
    Bob Brunelle

7. Hey keep northeast modified driver Mike Ewantisko in your prayers and thoughts, he just received a kidney from his sister, both are recovering and doing good.

8. bcengines

bcengines

Maybe Joe Ruttman,I remember seeing that car at Langhorne but can't exactly remember it's driver.I do remember the sponser Dearborn Crankshaft out of Dearborne Mi.

9. bakes

bakes
    from albany NY

This is (was?) the Joe Norton owned 3X that Benny took out of the park at Trenton or Langhorne, forget which. I asked him about the wreck once and he said "once it started I just held on for dear life!" Ben's still around, still a good guy, and a couple of the Joe Norton 3Xs have been restored.

10. bakes

bakes
    from albany NY

That is Hoop Schaibel's #95, which was rolled into his garage after its last race and sat there for 30 or so years before being pulled out, still with the speedway dirt on it. There's more info on this car over at 3 Wide's Picture Vault.

11. bakes

bakes
    from albany NY

Hope everything goes well. Mike's a good guy and one hell of a driver who's had some tough breaks that ended his career way too early.

12. bakes

bakes
    from albany NY

Looks like Oswego Speedway. "Wild" Bill Cane and Maynard Troyer are friends, and it could be that Bill was driving Maynard's second car. That may be the lowest Pinto modified I've ever seen in captivity. Wonder what ever happened to that one?

Billy had a good amount of success with his own #60 Chevette bodied car in the late 1970s, running a string of top ten finishes together at Oswego's Classic Weekend Modified race.

Behind him is Tommy Druar's #37 Vega.

13. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Who were the various people who tried their hand at promoting the Westhampton 1/2 mile?

14. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I love some of these...
    thats a 55-66 chevy stepside truck bumper as a side bar!
    these were so rare and desireable 20 years ago that they started reproducing them.

15. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

QUOTE Randomrodder
    3. The photo of Charlie J and Tom Baldwin, both now deceased and two of LI's greatest Modified chauffeurs both lost their lives on the track. Charlie not that long after Richie Evans @ Martinsville and Tommy The Tiger Baldwin @ Stafford.
    There's a story that goes along with that photo that I won't go into now but, it was one of Tommy's favorite photos and he had it hanging up behind his desk.

I gave Tommy that picture. He didn't have a copy. When I did, he told me what was probably the same *story*.

I replied to him ... "In your dreams Tom. We both know your ego is too big for you to do that." .. and I then asked him "Have you kissed the Blarney Stone lately?" .. The usually very glib Mr. Baldwin had no response.

If I had a set of these handy (See Below) I would have put them on.

We went on to talk about other things.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  16. ganga

ganga

I think Tom Baldwin was killed at Thompson.

17. ARCA Guy

ARCA Guy

#1 is the legendary michigan driver Joy Fair. Photo is from 1971. Fair's car was just the late model he drove in the midwest during the season.

18. Terry1

Terry1

Yes. He hit a light pole on the backstretch side of the infield.

19. baldwin was killed at thompson, ct.

20. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Blewett bought that car, campaigned it at Wall Stadium (NJ) as the #76.

Who ran that car after that?[/QUOTE]

JAWS ![/QUOTE]
    JAWS ![/QUOTE]

Blewett bought that car, campaigned it at Wall Stadium (NJ) as the #76.

Who ran that car after that? <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I believe a guy by the name of John White may have campaigned the car after that. I believe the car was metallic blue and was numbered 27. I believe he was the son of one of Charlie's former sponsors on the back of his coupes: J J White.

Did Pete Grodski #4 ever campaign a former Jarzombek Vega or was it a clone, complete with the red bars sticking up by the front bumper.

An interesting side note for those who were there at Riverhead. If you look at the top picture of Charlie's vega you'll notice the roof is a little scratched up and dented in. That happened after he crossed the finish line and received the checkered flag at Riverhead. Just as he crossed the finished line Herbie Hulse in the #12 vega decided to pull out of the pits into Charlie's path. The Jarzombek vega wound up on Herbie Hulse's roof. The two cars were roof to roof with Jarzombek upside down on top of Hulse...for one of the wildest finishes ever.

I'm counting on the Bullfather to come up with a picture of that as well as the John White and Pete Grodski cars.

My hats off again to him for posting all the great pictures that he does.

JBull
    <!-- / sig -->

21. Mike53

Mike53

Yeah Joy Fair in the top pic,tho I saw Joe Ruttman race it at I-70 when Fair was injured.

22. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

I found a great site for Vermont and upstate NY dirt tracks,Check it out. www.catamountstadium.com lots of old pictures.

23. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I found these while up loading some of my old negatives.....

Attached Files:

24. [​IMG]
    bobby bard
    [​IMG]
    bobby hudson
    [​IMG]
    bobby sprague

25. [​IMG]
    bobby abel
    [​IMG]
    abel
    [​IMG]
    abel

26. [​IMG]
    bewerton speedway
    [​IMG]
    billy blum, check out the pipes, would be cool to see today.....rich you reading??? lol
    [​IMG]

27. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    bob krollage
    [​IMG]
    rene charland in an airplane powered car

28. more I look at this, this would make one bad A$$ hot rod today. Id leave it all, paint scheme and #s
    [​IMG]

along with the flying finn lol

29. t.pak

t.pak

does anybody remember ca. drivers,ascot etc. harold bates,bob kelly,and bob or ron evans. #57,58,and 56

30. I have no idea, I only made it out to the oval once and they didn't run the full 1/2 mile, only the 1/4 with turns 1 & 2 I believe they were, flat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.