Register now to get rid of these ads!

anybody heard of pro/stock alumin intake manifold?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31nash, Jan 25, 2010.

1. 31nash

31nash
    from newminas

hey there i just picked up an aluminum intake manifold for a smallblock chevy , ive never heard of this brand b4 , its a highrise single plane it accepts square and spread bore carbs it all it has on it for a name is pro/stock !! looks to me like its from the 70's anybody know who made these ? ill try to get a pic up for it , i googled it but found nothing ....

2. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Wow, I'd forgot all about those. Yeah late 1970's, Gratiot Auto Supply sold the stuff for awhile. Not sure who really made them, they were a "budget" line. There was a whole line of Pro/Stock speed equipment, manifolds, valve covers, etc. They also had some really nice looking mags similar to Cragar's. Not sure how well the manifolds worked but it would definitely be a conversation starter.

3. nutajunka

nutajunka

Picture is worth a thousand words, but yes alot of sheet aluminum intakes were built for pro stocks. I see by the above answer that it was a production intake instead of the one offs like I thought you were talking about.

4. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I had one for a small block Chevy years ago along with the matching valve covers. The guy that I bought the intake from said that it was purchased new in the '70's through JC Penneys. I never could get any verification of that origin. I suspect that he meant JC Whitney, but he seemed set on that story. Sold them all a few years ago during a weak moment.

5. 31nash

31nash
    from newminas

yeah ill get a pic up on here soon , a guy was telling me that it may have came on the older 70's LT1's but i dont think so , too me it looks like a early 70's aftermarket speed part , poor casting quality compared to today , but it was a deal $40.00 couldnt let it pass ....

6. Mr. Chevrolet

Mr. Chevrolet
    from Canada

I have one of these intakes on a 350 chevy out in the garage as well. I've had it for along time. It originally came off my brother's 68' Camaro. I never ran it on an engine, not sure how it would perform. Pretty cool piece though!

7. Pro/stock was a line of parts to be sold as a price line part.
    They had manifolds,headers.slicks.and a lot of smaller parts.
    All the parts were made by various mfgs.just marketed by one orginazation who didnt make anything,,,only sell.....I wont mention the mans name that headed up the prostock program....

8. RodStRace

RodStRace

Why not? PM, please...
    BTW, here's a pic of some valve covers.

Attached Files:

9. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

JC Penney sold performance parts for awhile back then so they may very well have sold Pro/Stock parts as well as JC Whitney.

'31nash', you were correct not to believe the guy about the LT-1's, Pro/Stock parts never came stock on anything.

10. pastlane

pastlane

JC Penny's used to sell the full line of Pro Stock brand merchandise as well as a a line of tools.

11. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

What are a pair of the pro/stock valve covers worth? I have a chance to buy a pair and i was just wondering what they are worth.

12. I paid 5 bucks each at two seperate times withen the last 2 years, so 10 bucks for the set. Here's a picture of the first one I bought.
    [​IMG]

13. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

I am hopefully going to pick up that pair this weekend and give them a good cleaning.

14. Thrift-King

Thrift-King

15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have a pair of Pro Stock 429 valve covers.