Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Anyone heard of a 60s Mopar All Brass 440?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LesIsMore, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Rowdy_one

Rowdy_one
    from Oh

Ive got 6 of them, in the padded shop on my arizona ocean property heehee
    Watch this guy, my guess he will lie about other things too LOL

2. 4406

from Oklahoma

Dont forget about the maxwedge hemi valiant 5 speed pistol grip dana altered wheel base sshh dont tell anyone im restoring it

3. 4406

from Oklahoma

I wonder if Dick Landy's son still has that bs hemi?

4. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

------------------------------------

You're not the only one who tried the "Canadian Pontiac" ruse! During the Trans-AM wars, circa 1968 at least one GM-backed race team running a Pontiac Firebird, installed a 302 Z/28 Chevy
    engines in their race Firebirds and tried to convince the SCCA that the care were "Canadian Firebirds" and thus legal with the 302 Chevy engine. They got away with it for a few races until someone tipped the SCCA off, that unlike the other Canadian-built Pontiacs, the Firebirds built here all used regular U.S.-spec Pontiac engines.

In the mid-'70's I did the same thing too, sort. of, on a daily driver Firebird. I bought a '67 Firebird that originally had been a base '326 2-bbl Pontiac with 2-spd automatic' car. The previous owner had found a stock 427-390hp engine from a full-size '69 Pontiac Laurentian' 2+2' (the Canadian Pontiac-bodied equivalent of an Impala SS) in a junkyard and put the engine into the Firebird, along with a 6-cylinder Chevy Powerglide. Fortunately he had kept the original air breather and chrome valve covers with the Pontiac "427-Astro-Jet" decals and and "Pontiac 427" fender emblems. The car was an absolute blast with the 390hp-427.... and the looser converter and lower first gear of the 6-cyl 'Glide didn't hurt much either! <grin> One of the best things though, was being able to BS people about the car being "just a stock Firebitd" and that it was "all factory" when someone would question me
    about the engine and I'd pop the hood to show
    off the original "427 Pontiac Astro-Jet" and "427-390 HP" air-breather and valve covers decals! :D

Mart3406
    =============================

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like the engine that my bud bought the other day. The seller claimed it was a race engine. When they opened the hood on the Suburban that it was in my bud say that Isn't a race engine. Seller says " Hey stupid, look right there" pointing to the valve covers, "it says race engine". The engine had Summit Racing valve covers.

6. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

A guy stopped in my shop the other day and told me about a big block Chevy witha GMC supercharger. And here's the best part...it was made of glass. Yeah, you could see everything inside the engine. But, you needed special glasses because the Martians coated the engine with Glopomine and we all know how that screws up your urinary tract.

7. B Blue

B Blue

Someone asked if any kind of engine has been made with brass. Brass is surprisingly good stuff, we tend to underestimate it. During the 1800's (especially the mid part) steel metallurgy was largely hit and miss, especially when cast, while brass was pretty well figured out. So a brass revolver, while weaker than a good steel one, was preferred because you knew it hold up. The steel one might, might not.

A lot of steam engines were brass as were some of the early gasoline engines. Quite possibly because the engines were not highly stressed and brass has excellent wear characteristics. Also easier to cast and machine than iron.

Bill

8. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

--------------------------------
    That story is partially true. The true part is the actual engine. That was the A278 - also known as the 'Ball Stud Hemi' It was based on a 440 block and was intended as a 'cheaper to build' and more 'emissions-friendly' "semi-hemi" replacement the 426 Hemi being proposed for the '72 model year. The BS part of the story is that some of these 'test' engines' got randomly installed in production cars and released to the public. Total BS. One or two prototype engines have survived but Chrysler only ever installed one A279 in an actual car - in an engineering test mule and that was never released to the public, either accidentally or on purpose.
    (Oh.....except for the ones with infamous brass blocks that started this whole ridiculous thread.....but *everyone knows* that the 'brass block' engines were all '427 6-pack hemis' - secretly destroked to 383s because the the brass blocks made them too powerful - and came out a bit later, in the 1973 Superbird convertibles and station wagons and in a few special '74 and '75 NASCAR Imperials!<lol>::eek: :D :D )

mart3406
    ============================
    </lol>[/QUOTE]

I knew there was some truth to the "simi-himi." I lost track during my post. I meant to add that every time I've heard the story someones brother/uncle/cousin/best friend in high school had one that made it into some 4 door sedan, station wagon, or pick up truck when it left the factory.

9. twofosho

twofosho

The example of mother Mopar releasing fuel injection prematurely and trying to get it back IS true. I think I've read all the cars were converted to carburetion.

Fact is, the hardware of the time wasn't up to the technology, and if you actually bought one of the 17 or 18 cars with one of them, unless you were one of the Bendix electronic fuel injection engineers, you probably would have insisted Chrysler take it back just to be able to go to the grocery store with some degree of certainty that you might actually get there and back home without breaking down.

10. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

To be clear...was he talking about a 440ci engine block, or a Dodge 440 car? Remember, they had a 330, a 440 and a 880 but those numbers had nothing to do with the engine size.

I still think it's a tall tale, but it would easier to believe a car body made of brass than an engine block made of brass.

11. DivingDane

DivingDane
    from Australia

Yep Chrysler 300 factory option the electronic injection was, but it was that stuffed tht owner were given the option of having it replaced with 2x4bbl i think and the way i understand everyone chose that option.

but they were ment to be in the car just turned out the system wasnt trust worthy yet.

DD

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

If you drop parts from your brass engine will a brass magnet pick them up? I think I have one around here...

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

A hemi powered golf car? Man I'd take up golf just to drive one of those! LOL!

14. Recently de-classified Area 51 documents have surfaced revealing that the Experimental Brass Engine car was apparently lost forever shortly after the owner, one Mr. W.E.Coyote (Super Genius), was seen strapping an Army Surplus JATO rocket engine to the roof of said vehicle. A large crater & the scorched remains of an ACME products catalog were later found at the scene, however the only eye witness to the tragedy reportedly only said "Meep Meep", & then departed the scene at a very high rate of speed.

15. thesupersized

thesupersized

i predict lots of stripped bolt holes on a brass block. i call bogus.

16. cinemafx

cinemafx
    from Vancouver

Rudge Ulster had a Bronze 4 valve head 1929-1939

[​IMG]

17. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------------------------
    I'm pretty sure that the only 'brass block' he
    ever, *really* had, wasn't under the hood of
    any car, Mopar or otherwise. Rather, it was
    firmly attached to the end of his neck! :D

18. BSing. Dunno why but I just remembered engine blow up competitions.

19. nofin

nofin
    from australia

Brass 440, my ass.

All other characteristics aside, brass is heavier than cast iron.

20. Snopes has nothing.

21. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i say bs but how many millions of dollars are spent on R&D projects that never get finished or just dont work.i think with so many R&D people trying to justify there jobs that they will come up with anything just to show there bosses they are doing something.

22. Top thread:D
    Here's a true one .....Back in the very early 70's Chrysler Australia was looking to shoehorn high comp 6 pack 340's into their racing Valiant Chargers to better compete with the V8 Falcons and Holdens which were just holding out the( semi hemi 265 triple webered)Valiants from an overall manufacturers season win.
    They bought 350 or so race prepped 340's from the states along with some 833 4spd gearboxes and B/W LSD diffs and had plans for an E55 Charger.
    At this time for any car from the big three to be able to race in the Aussie touring car circuit, 200 road going examples had to be built.(and sold to the public!)
    A leading motoring journo of the time wrote a scaremongering piece which headlined in the Sydney Sun Herald and read "160 MPH supercars soon: Minister horrified!"
    Of course the proverbial ... hit the fan and ultimately Chrysler Australia pulled their support from the racing programme.
    So what happened to all those hot 340's?
    They were detuned and uncermoniously put into Chargers with a 727 and 2.92 gears and sold off to the Aussie public with no fanfare, just to get rid of them.
    They will be mostly long gone to the crusher now, with most of their owners never knowing that with a little bit of tinkering they could have had the car that never was.

23. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Maybe, he meant to say, it was a "Mopar All Ass 440....".

24. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

This shit is funny. The other night I was online playing games in one of the games site that also had a chat section. Well this guy gets on and start telling this story that back in 1980 he had a 1971 Duster with a 440 sixpack and how he was outrunning the cops through about 4 states.

This one girl ask him how he had enough gas to get that far. He state that he would lose the cop just long enough to stop at a gas station to get gas and would stake off again with the cops on his tail.

So at that point I had to join in and ask if that car was from the factory. He said yes. So I said I did not know they put a big block in the duster. Here is comes In his words "It was a mistake at the factory". It went downhill from there.

Oh they never did catch him and he was doing over 200 mph on the highway.

I finish with a big B.S.

25. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

I'm properly wrong but I seem to remember clear distributer caps for the ford 289 in 64.these would go along with the clear valve covers,

26. 4406

from Oklahoma

I guess it's time to walk my 50 year old to and try to get another hemi out of his ass. this is fun how long can it go on?

27. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

So, some old geeser forgets to mention one word in his sentence and suddenly there's a big topic with 90 replies within a day already, on some hotrod-forum about this?

:rolleyes:

28. Nope never heard of one and I was there. But never the less I got a B/RB that I can paint copper for you if you like.;)

29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I still have a set of the clear VC's. I believe they were Mr. Gasket's. I'll see if I can dig em out. After I get done installing my smaller timing gear.:D

30. earlymopar

earlymopar

Ha! That's really taking the name "Golden Commando" a bit too far!

- EM