Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best Phillips Screwdriver?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OCRatz, Jan 21, 2010.

1. OCRatz

OCRatz

Not drink recipes.
    I need to upgrade my potpourri collection and would like your opinions as to the best Phillips screwdrivers and why. Thanks.

2. UA_HoBo

UA_HoBo
    from Oswego NY

3. mrsaturn

mrsaturn

How about a brand name / picture larger than a postage stamp there, hobo?

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I think I'd go with Snap-on. I found a nice one on the road one day several years ago and it has been a good and faithful unstrippable piece.

5. In Canada we have the Roberston screwdriver. It is a square hole. It was invented by a Phillips screw salesman. They never made it to the States as it was a Canadian patent that the US companies didn't want to pay for. Ford of Canada started using them in the model T's. Easy way to tell a Canadian and Us A or T apart. You had slot screws and we had Robertson. Best Phillips screwdriver to buy is any one with a hardened end. Pat.

6. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

I hate them all. Craftsman seem to last as good as most and are a lot cheaper. Still made in US I think.

7. skidsteer

skidsteer

S-K. I've had a #2, PN 82008 for at least 10 years, it's always the first one I reach for when I need a Phillips.

8. ma70tt

ma70tt

i prefer my matco screwdriver set (made by witte of germany)over my mac or even my snap on set.

9. Old61

Old61
    from PA

Find one that is faithful to you, stays at your side & doesn't wander off with the first person that touches it just right.

10. Shawn M

Shawn M

Snapon is the best I had. There is a difference between craftsman and Snapon, especially screwdrivers, Rounded off a lot fewer screw heads using those

11. old beet

old beet

One part Vodka-One part OJ-One part Milk of Magniesa

12. Weasel

Weasel

Another vote for Snap On - had mine since '76 and I still have a couple of Posi-Drive screwdrivers too. Snap On used to have triangular handles on Phillips and square on slots, so you could just feel in the dark which one you had grabbed by the shape of the handle. Posi-Drive had red square handles. The other handles were black and they have a shank so that you can drive them with an open end wrench.

13. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Am I missing something? We have those here. We call em square heads.

14. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Klein Tools. I have Craftsman, Snap On and Mac and the Klein has held up the best for me.

15. UA_HoBo

UA_HoBo
    from Oswego NY

The Best screwdriver you can buy is one that has a lifetime warrent and no questions asked return policy, With that in mind If the closest SEARS is 50 miles away and LOWES is 3 miles away I would buy the KOBALT tools from Lowes. For normal hand tools i feel that is the best way to handle the situation, I have a lot of SK tools taht the local parts store can exchange, I have craftsman that i always forget to take to sears. But For xmas i got Kobalt so that i can drvie across town and spend half as much as SK. OH the picture i posted is a kids toy.

16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yeah and they SUCK a monkey's hairy beanbag! My A roadster is a canadian one and every single one of those little bastards was stripped out by a previous owner at some point!! Took me nearly two hours just to remove the hinges!!!:mad:

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

My older snap-on ones are awesome, but then so are the newer Cornwells. A good quality one that you take care of and don't use as a chisel or pry bar will last a lifetime.

18. I only buy Snap-On tips with the serations that grip in the screw heads. They don,t push out when turning.

19. LZ

LZ

These are excellent

http://www.wihatools.com/

I also have Snap on, SK, Miller, Craftsman, OLD Stanley, Mac, many old long ago names, etc..
    I love my Snap ons but I am no longer on a route and getting them replaced is a pain. :(
    The gent above has a good recommendation about getting Craftsman or Kobalt so that you can conveniently take them back.

But when you really need to get hard on something or the Screw is rotted away, etc..You cant beat a Snap on or Wiha.....;)

But whatever brand you get. When they get worn its time to replace.

Check Garage and Estate sales when you can..

20. badnews 31

badnews 31

snap on by far with the ACR on phillips (anti cam out ribs feature) you cant beat em

21. Zerk

Zerk

The best I've got is a Mac comfort grip. It's fun to use it on screws that nobody else can turn; you seat the tip, get a good grip on the square handle, then set your jaw so that when the screw goes KRAAAACK!! and lets go your teeth don't break.

22. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

I prefer Matco screwdrivers to all others. They have an awesome grip and they rarely slip. I feel like I can get a good torque with them as well

23. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

most any brand, as long as you use valve grinding compound on the tip. gets a sure grip.

24. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Buy many different brands ,I think there is a screwdriver that is different for every application ,Screw .My 2 cents .

25. TV

TV

I have found that any of the removable magnetic tip type last four times longer than any of the others, I guessing its the hardness. --TV

26. Adam.Perrault

Adam.Perrault
    from Phoenix AZ

Nothing better than a SnapOn SSDP42 IMHO
    [​IMG]

fits my hand great and works fantastic.

27. oj

oj

I like my klien, it has held up the best. What i now do is use one of those 1/4" drivers and use a lot of new #2 phillips bits. I figure if the bit gets worn it is damaging the screw itself so i keep replacing the driver bits.

28. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Snap On with the ACR have always been the best for me.

29. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

I like the handles on my snap on but got tired of breaking them and argueing to replace them so I stopped buying that shit years ago, mostly Mac
    My cornwells have held up over 15yrs .
    Like someone else stated , if you do not have access to tool truck regulerly ( thats why we have 3 of everything ) go with something common but reliable like a crapsmen proffesional or a Stanley that you can warrenty 7 days a week

30. I gotta vote for Klien...confortable handle, good stable tips and reasonable $$$. Have some SO's, crapsmans etc, but always reach for the Klien