Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front Spring Plate Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29guy, Jan 20, 2010.

1. 29guy

29guy

I have a front spring plate question for a project car I just got. The plate has 4 holes for the 2 U-bolts and a centered one for the spring pack bolt. The spring pack hole is about 1/4" and the bolt head is too large to come up throught the hole. Now the simple thing to do is drill out the hole and call it good. But at one time this car was together with the front plate as is.

So I wonder if I should put a spring pad between the plate and the spring that is deep enough to not have the bolt head pass through the plate or is there another option?

This is for a light weight modified T.

Thanks

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Change the bolt to a socket head cap screw and it will probably drop right over it. Did this with a rear spring once.

[​IMG]

3. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Was there possibly a SPACER plate in between the lower "clamping" plate and the spring pack at one time??? The spacer plate may have been thick enough and could of also had a large enough spring pin hole in it.

4. chop32

chop32

Do you have an actual hex head bolt or a round head spring center pin? This might be the problem. The spring center pin/bolt locates the spring so I do not suggest spacing it so the head doesnt go into the plate hole. Id just drill out the hole in the plate if changing to a different style of centerbolt doesnt work.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

So what you are saying is your spring sits on top of the frame mount and the spring plate clamps on top? If that's it , no biggie, just drill out the hole to fit the bolt head.

6. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

Jim Jacobs doesn't even run one...

7. 29guy

29guy

The spring pack is under the plate with two u-bolts resting directly on the lower spring and coming up through the plate holes. The plate is welded to the round front cross member. In this position the top most spring has the centering bolt in conflict with the center hole in the plate. I tried to pass a cap bolt through the center hole but the hole is too small and still will not work.

If I was to guess, it appears as if the spring pack was compressed in place and the centering hole position was also used to clamp the springs to the plate along with the 2 u-bolts.

Looking more like I need to drill out the centering hole!

8. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Do like Scooter Mad sugguested, or just drill it out.

9. 29guy

29guy

OK drilling it is!

Thanks to all.