Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects El Portal 36 Ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Ron, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Very inspirational thread...

FWIW, around here that bare-blasted steel would stay looking that way for about 4 hours until it started to rust!!

2. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I have a great deal of respect for dudes like you...awesome work man!!

3. So with the cowl 90% done I could go back too the left door and "B" pillar. With the help of DesertDroog today we were able to get the "B" plillar in the correct position and with the door already we mounted the door and found that just a little adjustment with a torch on the hinges will all that will be needed to have doors centered and gaps all correct. Now the task begins on the building of the upper frame for the chop on the door itself. More updates coming again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. So starting with the left door I have been looking and alot of photos of the cars that I am taking styling cues from and have notice too me that the back side of the door seam too fat in the pillar area and wanted to see what it would look like thinned up a little. So staring with the curved area at the front of the door on the right side I cut the section out and then cut out the back part of the door where it was fat and down into the belt line to have a curved area to weld in the new section to cut down on heat distoration when welding in the new section. alot more trimming will be needed till its ready to weld in. Will post again once the section is weld in and will do the chop on the door at the same time. Stay tuned.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn, all that and you took time to help me with computer stuff yesterday! truly amazing man! Thanks, Chip

6. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

wow! going to follow this one...can't wait to see more...

7. I think that is a contradiction of terms of my name and helping with computer in the same sentence. Glad I could help. I know just enough to get me in real trouble then I have to call ElPalocko or DesertDroog for help then. Let me know when you are ready with those photos.

8. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

Great work on a very ambitious project!

Looking forward to more progress reports and photos.

9. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

10. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Lots of work done, lots more to go though good luck.

11. So a small update with building the top of the door with pieces from both left and right doors. After the door top is done I will be moving onto the roof for behind the door where the body line is. The door is within a 1/8 of inch with the belt line so a little more door work will need to be done but were real close. Stay tuned for another update soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. 51fleetline

51fleetline

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

This is build is the very definition of the "Three P's" (Patience, Perseverance & Profanity).
    When you finish this build and display it, I hope you have a picture on hand of the car as it was pulled out of the ravine. People need to see difference to truly appreciate all the ass busting you have done to bring this car back. You rock!

14. pics and update next page

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  15. So most of the top of the door is done. I will do final finish work once I have the roof on. I have not decided if I am going to leave the body line that normally is at that front of the door which is now on back side of the door till I get the roof on see how all the body lines come together with the roof. Here some update photos. Next is finishing the quarter panel attachment too the "B" pillar and get ready for the left side of the roof.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice work! I'll be following this build.

17. Hey Ron, If your lookin for one of your body hammers its in the left door of your 36 3 window.[​IMG]

18. Damit I have been looking for that for a week now. HAHA just kidding I had spot in the door inner skin that was broken away and since I am working by myself most of the time I had it wedged in there for putting pressure back on the piece so it could be weld back together.

19. Lookin good Ron , can't wait to see how the B pillar and quarter are going to work out. I may be doing the same as you later this year if I have enough body parts around.
    Rob

20. El Bombero

El Bombero

Looking good. Ryan wants to know when the private tour is? We will be up there for GG's this month.

Mike

21. You and Teachm are welcome anytime call me when you guys get into town and we can go out for good mexican food and Teachm can tell us all about the latest Falco concert that he has seen. It would be cool if we could all park together this time. Pops will not be making it this time around since he will be out of town.

22. I going to have extra sheet metal left over once this is all put together so let me know what you need and will go from there.

23. A small update with getting more of the roof in with the center part and going down towards the quarter panel. I have also started on the rear deck area that needs to be filled in before going onto the rear window area. I will post more when the rear deck area is welding in and the roof on the left side is welded into the rear deck area.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. tinmann

tinmann

I think you need someone breathing down your neck about some imposed deadline ( sorta like a Coddington thing) so we can get more updated pics.

Coool progress so far.

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dude! You are absolutely certifiable! Lookin' good though! Always remember- if you need a hand I'm what, two miles away? Give me a call- it'll give me a break from Judy!!!

26. Are you sure Master Judy will let you out of the house to help?

27. SO-AZ

SO-AZ
    from Tucson

Damn Ron! Long way from the Whitetail canyon days...Lookin slick bro...

28. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

pretty awesome transformation , glad for some update photos

29. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

WOW, great job!

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE CALL ME FOR HELP SOMETIME!!!! (wink,wink, nudge, nudge!!):D Oh god, there I went and did it, my first smilie!