Register now to get rid of these ads!

wilson welding 39 lincoln brakes how much .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by troylee, Dec 19, 2009.

1. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Troylee,
    I have a set of F1 brakes still installed on the spindles. PM me about them.

2. 33 coupe

33 coupe

There is no way to compare the product that Bob Wilson produces to the product that is a direct copy of Bob's product.
    Bob Wilson is on a different level both as a fabricator and a great guy. Can not say enough good things about the guy. Bob has forgotten more about hotrods and machine work than most people will ever know.

33 coupe

3. lakester47

lakester47

I am a very satisfied customer of Bob Wilson. His parts are great and he is a super guy to work with. All four corners of the Special wear his brakes.

4. One more plug for Bob. Great guy. Every true hot rodder's friend.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've got Wilsons Lincolns front and rear on both the Black deuce Highboy and the deuce rpu all with Buick drums.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  6. BCR

BCR

Another vote for Bob. I have run several sets on customers cars and am doing two more. He is one of the most helpful guys out there. Even invited me and my friends to hang out with him at Bonneville.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wilson's prices are on his order sheet. Klick on it an the pfd comes up with all the prices.

8. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

Bob is a great guy, easy to talk to, and is very helpful, give'm a call. All his prices are on his web site. Every thing I've gotten from him was top notched. The backing plates bolted right on and was ready to run, and the front hubs were a bit spendy but were very nice and worth every penny!

I'm currently ordering more items from Bob and can't wait for my FedEx package to show up at my door step!

9. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

I bought a set of Bob's finned backing plate covers many years ago and was very pleased. I'm curious though, specifically, why are the MT products inferior?

10. Eric has these back ordered...been waiting for the 39 backing plates for sometime......I ordered them from So-Cal from Jim...then Jim transferred the order to Eric..better parts and a better set-up with Eric...only issue I ordered these back in Oct...Eric promised me that they would come direct to me from the company..if interested...give him a call to check on the shipment...I'm still waiting. Eric and Jim both are great guys to deal with..it's just that these parts are hard to get..I hope these come soon...I'm getting restless in the garage..

11. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Let me get this right, you are saying MT is a better product?

:rolleyes:

12. I don't know if it's a better product..I'm still waiting for them....Anyways Jim at So-Cal where I first placed the order had issues with the 39 backing plates...so he transferred my order for the backing plates to Eric at Riley....Jim mentioned that the Wilson welding backing plates needed some modifications to fit my application...and that the ones from Riley (MT) would work perfectly...Jim did me a favor and to boot sucked up some of the extra cost for the MT backing plates...like I mentioned..I place the order early Oct..I have faith in these guys...there some of the best around.

13. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Well, I am going to stand by what I said in post #6 in this thread which was:

Well, if you want to buy cheap Chinese trailer brakes or rips offs from other peoples hard work knock yourself out.

If you want all American made with all good stuff you can get your brakes from Bob.

14. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Merc.I see you are in the same town as Mr.Wilson.
    So I'm guessing you guys are buddies.
    I consider him a friend.I also sell some of his products.

But your statement above is plain wrong.
    MT Car Products are 100% American made.
    And not a copy of his products.There is significant differences.
    (But both are based on a old design.)

15. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I do not represent Bob and I did not say what applies to who but let me put it this way...in recent years several companies like to buy somebodies stuff and then copy it. It keeps happening again and again. My intent is to point this out.

You of all people know that.

I will say I am sorry because looking back on what I wrote and where I put it it seems like I am picking on you. I apologize for that aspect, but not for my main point.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  16. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Eric, could you tell us what the significant differences are with the MT brakes? And are all the brake parts (wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware) USA made as well? Do you know where the backing plates are stamped? Where are they machined, and who does the machinework? If I had a problem with one of their brakes, would I be able to call the person who machined and assembled the brakes on their cell phone?

Both are obviously based on the '41 Lincoln Bendix-style brake, but could you also tell us who was the first to reproduce this type of brake so that hot rodders had easy access to better stopping power without going to discs?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  17. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Brian,I'll be glad to.
    I don't want this to turn into some pissing match.
    That's why I stayed off this thread.

Far as I can tell the first to reproduce the Lincoln style backing plates
    Was a place called C4 racing equipment.
    I hear the bare plates still show up at swaps in CA.
    I've refiited several sets over the last few years.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Wildfire

Wildfire

16oz man - keep the faith. When I ordered mine, I think the drums were on backorder. Took a couple of months, but they came. Eric has a great system and always knows who's supposed to get what.

Regarding Wilson, I've heard nothing but good about his products too.

I doubt anyone could go wrong either way.

19. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Far as MT goes,
    The backing plates are shaped like a shallow front backing plate.
    And the upper pivot pin is adjustable.
    Which is to say,it's in a slotted hole.
    Allowing the shoes to be exactly centered.

On the rears the e-brake cable tube is a bolt on piece.
    Just the same as oe Lincoln.It allows a standard early Ford e-brake cable end to fit.

The metal is stamped in CA.And machined in CA.
    The wheel cylinders are sourced through Wagner

And we have the made in the USA hubs and drums to complete the brakes
    I'm in charge of MT Car Products Sales.
    1-800-530-7636
    or my home # 303-287-6526
    eriC

Attached Files:

neilswheels and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I don't want to be part of a pissing match either, I just want to see some good ol' facts. I know that you're a stand-up guy, and I'd appreciate your input. Could you try to answer the rest of my questions above?

I've seen those come up for the past couple of years. That guy at the LA Roadster Show swap meet that sets up under the trees and always has quick changes and Lasalle transmission parts (Gommi maybe? Not sure of the guy's name) had some at the swap meet and on ebay. Is he the guy these are coming from?

I'm not totally sure where or what C4 racing equipment is or was, but can I order a set of these that are fully assembled? Can you get me C4 racing equipment's phone number so that I can order up a pair?

And to be fair, those are indeed a Bendix-style backing plate, but I don't see how you can call them Lincoln-style. Those don't look much like a '41 Lincoln backing plate, whereas the Wilson backing plates really only lack the extra stamped ring around the outside edge to be a ringer for a '41 Lincoln backing plate.

Thanks for posting Eric, I'm looking forward to finding out more about the MT brakes.

21. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Thanks Eric, you were posting the same time as I was. I appreciate the info.

22. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

OK, now we can do a little fact for fact comparo.

The Wilson Welding backing plates also allow you to adjust the upper pivot pin. There is no difference there that I can see.

There is a difference here. The Wilson rear backing plates have a machined and welded bung/tube for the E-brake cable.

The Wilson backing plates are stamped here in North Texas. They are machined and assembled in Flower Mound, TX by Bob Wilson....the same guy that answers the phone when you call Wilson Welding.

The wheel cylinders are also Wagner, the shoes are Bendix, the hardware is made up of Wagner, Dorman, and parts machined by Bob.

Wilson originally made his backing plates to go along with Buick drums. He has hubs that are cast in Central Texas and machined by Bob himself that are designed to work with Buick drums. His backing plates will also work with the new MT drums (which are very nice) or original Ford drums.

Bob Wilson, the guy that actually does all the work on the backing plates, is in charge of sales. His phone number again, is (214) 662-9483

I have no affiliation with Bob, other than he has gone out of his way to help me many, many times. As you can see by the things other people have posted on this thread, he goes out of his way to help lots of people. I can also say the same for Eric (vaphead)....he's gone out of his way to help me and many others as well.

See no pissing match, just facts.

If I wanted to get into a pissing match, I would said something like "Dave Wilton ripped off Bob's Wilson's hard work"...but I didn't.

-Brian Bass

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. And as for anyone that might think that disc brakes work any better than these-NOT! The feel and power of these brakes is awesome, plus they are easy to install, bleed and adjust. Nothing better, period! And ditto on the praise for Bob Wilson!

24. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I also have a set of Bob's hubs for the Buick brakes. I got them from Eric also.

25. alchemy

alchemy

Very interesting thread. Those chrome C4 backing plates are GORGEOUS!

Just some odd info I thought I could add:
    I bought a set of Wilson brakes through Riley Auto. Very good price and free shipping. Hopefully he can still do that for the guys who must have Wilson parts over MT.

I called Bob Wilson a few years ago about a different kind of brakes, and he was more than willing to lend advice just like everybody here is saying.

I did notice a while ago that MT makes the extra ring that goes around the outer edge of the backing plate, for any of you guys trying to make the new brakes look 100% Lincoln authentic. They also sold them separate, so maybe the Wilson fans could install them on their brakes too.

26. shonky

shonky
    from Norfolk UK

Do Wilson welding have a email address ?
    I am trying to get a set of his rears brakes but i'm not sure if he ships to the UK !

27. A-BOMB #1

A-BOMB #1

I've been waiting for over two months to get my brakes from Riley Automotive and all I get is the run around from Eric.I can't even get him to return my money. So much for the "alliance discount" sounds more like the alliance rip-off.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

28. Have you called him (Eric)...I've been waiting for awhile also...but I did call him..he stated that my backing plates will be shipped direct from the factory...no date was given on the phone when they would be sent....like I mentioned above I had the deal set up with Jim at So-Cal..then he transferred the order to Eric at Riley's..both guys have went out of their way to get my order complete..the only issue are the backing plates..I think the alliance will come through...keep in touch...wonder if anyone else is having the same issues..:confused::confused:

29. Wildfire

Wildfire

Guys - hang on. You're having the same issues I've had on parts too.

These are low-volume parts, the manufacturers don't always have them set up in their machines. So when they are out, it takes some time to get back around to running another batch. You should try to buy a flathead banger head right now. Can't be done and nobody is sure when the next batch is going to be run.

Eric will get you the parts as soon as they are available - I've bought lots from him and he's always been good to his word.

30. I'm cool with Eric..and I've read lots of post here on the HAMB about him..I did talk to him and he will deliver..I was trying to cool the other dude off.....