Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aftermarket front model A spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gloop, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Gloop

Gloop
    from NJ

Does anyone make an aftermarket spring without the terrible looking bumps for the sliders? I have a Posies spring on the car now, but I can't stand the look of it. I'm looking for a new front reverse eye spring that looks like an original without the sliders. I know Speedway used to have them a while back, but now it looks like they all have them now.

2. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

i dunno, i used a mono-leaf front spring. i hope it works out OK. don't have any road miles on it yet.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

check the ford part houses..
    snyders, CWMoss..etc.
    heck might even find a HAMB vendor that has em.

i know what you mean about that spring,,didnt like the looks of them either

4. daves30

daves30

I believe Chassis Enginering does.

5. tigman47

tigman47

you can have one made But get the check book out they are not cheap...If you plan on drivin it a bunch dont go mono leaf NO SAFETY factor...PM me i can help...Jeff www.swainsspring.com

6. Fenders

Fenders

X2 I got their spring for my current model A build.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Give Eaton Spring in Detroit a call. A 2-3 generation spring company that makes springs for So-Cal and others. They can make you anything you need. Like others have said, make sure your bank balance is healthy.
    I've used superslide springs on several builds and like the ride. What exactly is your complaint? If your running fenders you can't even see the spring and if your fenderless a flat black powdercoat will make the teflon button bumps almost invisible. You'd be surprised how just radiusing the ends of the leaves tends to hide them visually.

Frank

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

They do ride great... Although I have to admit I don't particularly care for the look either. I'm going to make some nice black leather covers for the one under my roadster.

9. Fogger

Fogger

Posie offers a reversed eye tapered leaf spring with hidden buttons, no bumps. Also you can get poly liner material from CW Moss, but you'll see the liner lip on the sides of the spring. I am using the new Posie spring on my '32 Roadster and the ride is great. Check their web site.

10. tigerShark

tigerShark
    from Tampa Bay

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

You can find a local place and it won't be bad. I'm going to a spring shop tomorrow to have a few custom main leafs made. I'll see what they say for price. What are you looking for as far as arch/drop?

The cost on the reversed tapered spring is pretty expensive and they're made to order (pretty much). I spoke to a guy over at posies and he said it'd be a wait for them, that was a few weeks ago.

12. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Posies does the rolled and tapered ends.
    I thought it was only $10.00 more...(I better check! )

The CE spring is a little clunky looking but no buttons.And has the liners.
    Affordable,28-34 type are $105.00

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Snyder's in New Springfield OH and Mac's in MY and all other Model A parts suppliers sell a stock 12-leaf spring for 28-31 with clipped end leaves for around a $100 or so.

14. mikew

mikew

Like others have said, check a local spring shop that works on big trucks. Take your old one in and say " I need one like this." I had them reverse the eyes as well. It's what I did and cost $20 for a new main. Only took them about 20 minutes.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I dont remember where i got mine..
    was over 2 years ago..
    it has nylon discs under each leaf end, but doesnt have the buldge the other springs have.
    still slides nice, and doesnt have that lumpy look. might be able to see it in my build pictures

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=290

16. tigerShark

tigerShark
    from Tampa Bay

17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I bought a Speedway spring before I saw that the LOWER REVERSE EYE LEAF alone is sold on EBAY for $50. You just use all your stock upper pack. I have an original set with a broken lower leaf and should have bought the lower reverse leaf instead of getting the whole pack from speedway. Just a thought if you have an original pack of springs at all.

18. There is a possible source of leaf springs in the springs that are available for trailers. I haven't checked it out, but I will sometime soon. One thing for sure is the pricing is much more competitive than that from speed equipment manufacturers or custom spring builders.

19. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

20. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

here is another approach. go to the wrecking yard and find a 1.3/4 wide spring. it doesn't matter how long it is, as long as it's 1.3/4 wide. now go to a spring maker, like a truck spring place. have them cut the thing down to where it's the right length and re-roll the eyes. minimum cost and usually you get several extra leaves to fine tune the ride. i used to do this all the time back in the day, when there were a lot of foreign cars with rear wheel drive. just a matter of note. i found this on our site here, but i don't remember who made it. great tool. re-bend your springs to reversed eye or re-arch them for free. this thing works like a dream and doesn't take much force to form either. i sold some stuff at a swap meet once and formed a model a front main leef to have a standard eye on one end and a reversed eye on the other. made people scratch there heads starring at it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]