Register now to get rid of these ads!

A tudor to pickup, does this look dumb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atotalnincompoop, Jan 13, 2010.

1. I love how one guy will show up and say it's not "traditional" and then there's 5 people who have seen the same thing built 40 years ago. Turning old cars into trucks has been done since there were old cars around to do it to. Only thing that matters is if YOU like it. This place is full of guys who think everything that's not done exactly the way they would do it is crap. The first guy to put a straight axle in a 55 Chevy was probably called a hack too.. You're not building it for them you're building it for you. Keep us posted. It looks like a cool project.

2. spooler41

spooler41

If you are very tall, you'll love the extra leg room in this conversion. I'm about 6' and find my 31 P/U to be almost to small, it's going to take some creative seat building to be comfortable in a standard Mod. A cab. Go ahead with your cab build and you/ll thank your self later.

............ Jack

3. screwball

screwball

body styles like that arnt bobbers they are high boys and have been done that way from the factory. As for the cut up sedan to truck conversation thats been done since ww 2 looks good IVE been looking for a sedan body to cut up like that for years.

4. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

...I'm doing something similar with a '30 Chrysler mordoor but I'm going to keep the quarter window and reduce it's width about 2-3". It also needs an additional 1" chop to cleanup the mess that the previous owner did when it was a mordoor......

[​IMG]

Member 'Scootermcrad' did a wonderful series of posts on this type of build along the lines of a lakester coupe rather than a pickup. He went through alot of eyeballing and study of agreeable proportions to end up with a really nice piece.....
    Good luck with it...you're on the right track....

5. It's gonna look a bit like an extended cab....
    I wouldn't knock it, It looks like it'll be cool to strech back in...

6. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

What I like best is the creativity, it's yours, follow through..
    Duane.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that an extended cab is a good idea. The factory closed-cab pickups are TINY.

8. If it were mine i would add some small windows behind the front door. idunno how it would look but what about a big wrap arround back window? and maybe chopping it a bit but have some good rake to the roof idunno.. i could think of a thousand things to do or not do to it. save all the pieces you remove, if ya dont like how it turned out weld it back in.

9. No Cents

No Cents

What he said.:D

10. that might look pretty cool!
    but what are the chances of finding one the right dimensions?:eek:

11. idunno.. i think some pickups had wrap arround back windows.. but don't quote me on that though. what about from like a van or somthing did the early econolines or sportsmans have a back window like that?

12. and i think depending on how it was done it could look hideous... i think i would sit in the garage drinking beer looking at the car for at least a week before ya did something like that..

13. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Heres one that I had.:cool: I like them. This went to a guy in Fl. I got It from a guy here on the HAMB

Attached Files:

14. I'm on it!!:D

15. looks good, i had thought about putting a really thin side window like this made out of my tudors side window, but couldn't get it to work easy enough, so i said fuck it, no side window!:D

16. It will look as good as you want it. Iam using a werecked coupe to make my truck.Its nothing to brag about .Got a diesel and my grand kids setting on the running board are having fun being part of the build.

17. billyt

billyt

A friend bought an original A that had been converted to a pickup by a couple of old mechanics probably in the 40s or 50s. I liked it. Go for it.

18. just remember you must have enough beer to be locked in the garage for a week

19. I think it's a great idea. People in the 20's & 30's musta been midgets to fit comfortably in a stock T or A pickup. The only thing I'd do is like the others said, bring the back panel of the cab straight down below the belt line. It still won't look like a factory original but it also wouldn't scream cutup tudor either. It will just look more like a truck cab should. What I think you'll end up with is a truck you can enjoy and drive a lot more as you won't feel like you're folded in half when you're sitting in it.

20. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Forgive me, I know the damage is done, but why are people still cutting up perfectly good tudors? (that's what fordors are for) I really dig 'em and sure hope this trend doesn't continue.

21. a.y1320

a.y1320

I thought about putting a bed on my sedan, nah

Attached Files:

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not my cup of tea, but it's not my car either. If you continue on I would take the advise of a few earlier posts and straighten out the lower quarters to look more truckish. If it were mine I would find the back panels from a pickup and call it a deal. Tudors and pick ups shared doors and most of the sub frame so it would look pretty accurate. Just my .02

23. ruquik

ruquik

I'll quote you on it...LOL

Chevy/GMC
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]

24. i meant a one piece wrap arround lol and looking again that econoline i put up there has a 3 piece window too der...

25. redsteely

redsteely
    from Phoenix az

I like it. Maybe a little less behind the door?

26. TSEDAN

TSEDAN
    from Fresno,Ca

I'm doing one right now, got it with 28 pick-up flat sides behind the doors and a wooden back. Took off the wood in the back an replaced it with metal with a 30 window and used a 89 Lincon Mark 7 roof. Doing it full fendered, no splash apron with 12" stepup in the rear of the frame and 8' in the front. Custom running boards. Will try to get some pics real soon.

27. nji

nji

I used to see a lot of these in abandoned mining towns. Folks would get work hauling for the mine and had to provide their own vehicle. If they already had a sedan it got cut and anything that would serve as a bed was thrown on.

A lot of people are saying to straighten then lower quarters, but maybe the look you want is one of the old workhorse sedan to truck conversions?

I wish I had pictures.

28. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

[​IMG] i like this mans style. its only steel thats what i say. thats why they make welders. so try whatever, if it sucks A$$, hit the undo button

29. Doug B

Doug B

I say do it. And do the bed like Corn Fed did. This thing looks cool!

Attached Files: