Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blueprinted 300HP Cam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by von Dyck, Jan 13, 2010.

1. von Dyck

von Dyck

I am wanting to know what Crane does to the 327-300HP cam that is different than the stock GM 300HP cam. I realise that the blueprint cam will improve performance, but will it affect highway fuel economy one way or the other? BTW, they are still listed in the Summit catalog.

2. Could it be that the GM version is a solid lifter cam and that the Crane version is hydraulic ?

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

Both are hydraulic grinds. The bluprinted cam is tweaked a bit to take advantage of what is considered stock.That cam is very mild,I believe it was also used in the 250 hp 327 .

4. Throw that POS grandma cam out and put a real performance cam in. At least the 327/350 hp if you want a blueprint style. There are even better new cam designs however than the blueprint series.

I had a 350 with one of those 327/300 hp cams in it. Would not even pull past 4500 rpms. Swapped to the 327/350 cam so I did not need new springs and the engine had better low-end and would pull to 5500. This was 25 years ago and cam science has improved drastically since.

5. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

I to used the 350hp 327 Cam in a 350 with a performer intake, headers and a Holley 750cfm vacuum secondary carb on a 73 camaro 4spd back in the day and she pulled strong up to 5500. Bottom end was good but mid range rocked.

6. mac762

mac762

The 350/327 is a lame cam too. Buy a modern performance grind. I have a small Crane that is way better than the 350/327 cam.

7. They don't do anything to it. It is built from GMs Blueprint for the cam. They are built with more modern equipment and are more consistant than the original factory cam.

Affect you fuel milage? Depends on how the rest of the engine is built. I have been running a Crane blueprint of the L-79 cam (350 horse) for several years in my old pickup. No OD and get from 20-22 so you tell me.

8. von Dyck

von Dyck

My '67 Chevrolet Chassis Shop Manual shows the same cam was run in the 283 - 195HP, the 327 - 210HP, the 275HP, the 300HP engines. I read somewhere that Crane fattened up the area "under the curve" while maintaining factory stock lift and duration. This gave the guy running such an engine in the NHRA stock classes an advantage over the guy running the stock factory grind that came with the engine or one purchased over the parts counter at a GM dealer.
    I'll rephrase the intent of the original request: have any of you had hands-on experience running a 300 horse Crane blueprinted cam and how did it compare to the factory stock cam? If you happen to know what actual changes Harvey Crane made to these cams, please let us all know.

9. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

"They don't do anything to it. It is built from GMs Blueprint for the cam. They are built with more modern equipment and are more consistant than the original factory cam."

One thing that is almost always true with after market cams is, they are ground on billets that are FAR better material than the factory cams.
    It USUALLY takes a bit longer to regrind an after market billet cam than a factory core. (same grind)