Register now to get rid of these ads!

So, what's the price of old cars like in your area lately?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Forget the big auctions that over-inflated the price in the rich and aimless world. But, your local swaps, car shows, cruise spots. Are the prices still OK? Have they dropped drastically like houses have? What's your observations? Here, in SoCal, the prices locally seem as they were before the economy went bad. They're maybe not selling, but the prices sure haven't come down much if at all.

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

I noticed at a local, 600 car, mom and pop type show last Saturday here, that there weren't that many for sale signs on cars. It seemed odd to me. There were actually fewer than normal for sale. Prices seemed realistic...not super-high, but definetly not low!
    Seems to be like the local housing market...folks are just kinda hanging-on, hoping things improve before they attempt to sell.

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

The sellers that really need to sell offer great deals. The ones who casually sell still have OK prices, at least around here. It's pretty easy to tell who's who.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think the prices are still at similar spot but the amount being sold is far fewer. No longer are the days when a loan was easy to attain as it was so now the guys that have the cars are sitting on them for longer because they know they are worth the price and are unwilling to part for less.

I have not got much action on my roadster as far as people calling to buy. I might have to sit on it a while longer before a buyer comes along which is a common theme I think.

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i see the same cars popping up on craigslist, the low priced ones and the top dollar cars. I got sick of being lowballed over the internet, just not many people buying i guess.

6. Prices fluctuate, but I would generally say they have come down. Serious sellers are more realistic, then the not-so serious, who seem to be just putting out feelers. I have noticed more "projects" available, and they seem to be priced right..just wish I had more room.

7. CruiseOrDie

CruiseOrDie
    from Cincy, OH

Shit, all I keep running into is people asking a mint for their garbage because "times are tough, we gotta get every penny we can."

horseshit type stuff.....

8. 6berry

6berry

prices here are way down from what they were not too long ago but theres still a bunch of rusted garbage for way more than it should be. i remember a few years ago, there was a 1930 or 31 ford sedan (dont remember exactly) in horrible condition inside and out but all factory for $15,000. yes fifteen thousand.

9. prices in Wisconsin have fallen off. some going for a third less then what they're worth. people think just because the economy sucks that we'll give them away.

10. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

I'm seeing a lot of "older" projects showing up on CL meaning neat stuff that someone has been sitting on for a long time and has finally decided they will not have the time or money to fix it or just need the money. Common projects do seem harder to sell right now unless you want to give them away and there seems to be a lot more people wanting to trade now then those interested in purchasing outright.

11. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

seams like advertised prices are the same maybe a little lower but people are more flexible on prices. The real drop on prices seams to be on trailers, and equipment.

12. rainh8r

rainh8r

Lots of sellers don't really have to sell, so they will sit on the car awhile and see what happens. Plus many are buried in the things so far they can't afford to sell it for what it's worth now. I see lots for sale, nothing moving unless it's a real deal or a 32 for a fair price. There are some deals out there though (a local just bought a 34 PU w/327, 4 speed, 9" rear for $5K driving), but usually they're not seen on the internet.

13. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I try not to pay more than a few hundred dollars for stuff. But it never seems to work out that way.......lol

14. What I'm seeing is a lot of cars at prices like they were before the crash, only they are just not selling.

The harder thing to find out, is what price cars are actually selling at, because asking prices are just like 'fish stories'.

Cosmo

15. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Some stuff is priced to sell, other stuff is priced to keep. Best deals are on RV's.

16. I've found some good values in my area lately.
    You sure can tell those that have to sell vs those that would like to sell.

Have to = bargain

17. 4406

from Oklahoma

They start high but if no one bites they get more reasonable. I bought my plymouth out of L.A. just got to poke around.

18. thendrix

thendrix

19. Tony

Tony

Down for the most part. A lot depends on what's being sold though it seems..
    My buddy recently sold an o/t 67 Camaro, bb-4 speed, super solid and real nice car and although he did ok, he did not get what the car would have sold for a couple years back.
    Then just bought a 65 Impala, in pieces, for pennies on the dollar when you really think about it..
    Like i said, it seem's to vary depending on what's being sold, but i'd have to say the prices are down a bit. But, you will ALWAYS still find the high priced cars being listed..not matter what the economy is doing.

Tony

20. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

prices have not really changed- but the amount of wheelin and dealin has.

And the number of cars for sale has really gone up

21. lots of projects that are for sale in the local minn car clubs new letters
    mostly guy's second unfinished cars(wifes?)or ass"t parts ... price's are all over the place but with clever hustling a car or two could be put together rather quickly and flip em.. front ends , stock drivelines , body shells ass't hoods and fenders
    i have a dozen projects now ..no room !
    like the guy in" its a wonderful life" buyin stuff up when times are bad ...
    so i get kinda itchy lookin ..hafta just say no!

22. heyba

heyba
    from so. cal

cheap cheap, found 3 model a coupes today for around a grand each... put your damn keyboards down if u want a deal..... not gona find it here....

23. Mercchev

Mercchev

Out here in the Mountains and east to the plains, cars have been coming out of the woodwork the last year...I bought and traded five or six HAMB-friendly cars this year, finally trading up to my latest O/T project...a 72 Eldorado Convertible. Total $$ out of my pocket is only about $500 after all that...Lots of running, driving 50's and early 60's cars and trucks along the front range for anywhere from $600-$6000 on CL in the last two months. You just gotta go looking and not sit at your computer in your undies all day...

24. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

Around here you can find the occasional good-deal, but you've also got a lot of people who put rediculous prices on their cars because it makes them feel better.

25. nutajunka

nutajunka

I've noticed that alot more cars are popping up for sale lately around here. Problem around here is if the weather man calls for two inches of snow than they put four inches of salt down, which of course means rust...:mad:

26. historynw

historynw

In the rust belt people think they have gold. I'm a buyer looking, but not a Barrett Jackson moron. Meanwhile I keep looking while we finally finish my Chevy.

27. lorodz

lorodz

cars in my area are over priced rust buckets ...im not scared of a little rust but jesus there really is junk out here and they want millions for them .they start high and get higher ..lol

28. hmmmmm

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Times are tough everywhere, but they're terrible here in Michigan. Lots of people out of work, and hardly a job to be found. I have to agree with many on this thread that as far as the prices are concerned, it depends...Some folks are desperate, and are selling for much lower than usual. Others who are able, are hanging tough, and haven't come down on the prices much. What has happened though, is no matter how good the deal is, there are not many who can afford to buy. The yearly swap-meet near me was a total wash-out this last summer. Nobody hardly buyin' a thing! I was surprised that I was able to sell my running but rusted '46 Ford business coupe in September of '09 for $3,000. I bought it in '07 for $5,000, and had put another $1,000 into it. A loss of $3,000.

30. Half the Turkey rod run was car corral, but they were selling. Had a friend that sold five cars.