Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have a ride that can't be bought?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Well said! Besides, it's what keeps me sane...:D

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yeah, it ain't an argument until someone pulls a toad-sticker out.

And, as to Doug's "Everything's got a price", as I've said in other threads, my price is another good day with the old man. Otherwise, Bill Gates doesn't have enough to buy my trucks.

But hey, that's just me.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

Sir Woosh said it pretty well. For me it's as much about those moments that being IN that car (or truck) bring that you can't buy that do it for me.....my avatar should read "smile machine" and that will be my ride's epitath.....not what I got for it but what it GAVE me that can't be bought !!

4. I have had my Merc since it was 1 year old the one in my avitar
    and will Never Sell it
    when I go to the Great one in the Sky
    it will go to my Son along with everything I owen!
    <p>
    just my 3.5 cents

5. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

Im broke as hell, barely getting by, im a young father and am married. but there is no way i will ever sell mine. this car means so much to me. if something ever happened to it i would be completly lost. through the good and bad times this car has always been in my life and always will be

Attached Files:

6. 1 foot in the grave

1 foot in the grave
    BANNED

i'll never sell, I've bought and sold a million other cars but this one has stuck around. I was offered 38k cash one day and said "not a chance in hell". The guy happened to be my boss, i dont work there anymore.

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

Make me an offer, and I guess we'll find out, won't we? :cool:

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Set the scene;
    There's a bowl of apples sitting on the table.
    The kid is whining to his grandpa that he is going hungry.
    He needs a loan. He needs a lot of stuff.
    He rambles on for an hour.
    There is a pause; Kid appears to be finished with his plea.
    Grandpa says; "Is that all you want"?
    The kid, in anticipation, says "Yes".
    Grandpa says;
    "Well you know I don't have a company any more, so if you need a job you are talking to the wrong person. By the way, after you get that job, on your days off I would like to spend more time with you. If you like come by and I'll take you for ride in the old Chivvy. Hungry? Have an apple".

9. shonky

shonky
    from Norfolk UK

I said i would never sell my 1960 Isetta plus 3 wheeler :eek:
    I have owned it since 1991, but now it's up for sale so i can buy a model A bodyshell :)
    This is what happens when you run out of money on a project which has been a life long dream :D

10. mj40's

mj40's

If anyone were to buy &#8220;Big Olds&#8221;, It has a major stigma attached to him. &#8220;That is Big Olds, it belongs to Denise up in Detroit&#8221;. &#8220;It must has a million miles on him&#8221;. :D

11. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 1942 45 H-D . I have had pieces of it sence 1984 . Finely got it together Nov 08. Ride ever chance i get. If things go south i would part with it to keep a roof over head. A late friend of mine told me once we are just caretakers for this stuff for alittle whille.

12. mj40's

mj40's

I have owned my 40 Coupe for 45 years now. In that period of time I have had two gentleman tell me that they were going to own it. At the time I was young and in need but turned them down because I would not put a price on it. One guy owned a Ford dealership in Nevada. Just finishing it's third rebuild and probably will go to my son someday and then to his son.

Attached Files:

13. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I'm not naive enough to think that my cars wont ever leave my hands, after all they're only cars and you just never know what may come up that might compell a sale.
    Doesn't mean I'd want to sell 'em and it sure doesn't mean I would not regret it...
    I sold my last Panhead in 1975 and still wake up nights thinking about it.
    [​IMG]
    I just try real hard to enjoy the crap out of 'em while I can.

14. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

I wouldnt sell- i HAVE been offered what I said. I could easily use the cash, being a small business with people to pay every week.

Not worth losing something I cant get back. Another 56 chevy wouldnt be the same.

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly. To not make that assumption is just nit-picking. And to say outright, "Everything has its price." is argumentative, if you're referring to someone else's car. We can speak for ourselves, not for others. If someone says that their car is not for sale, that needs to be respected and not questioned. The phrase, "Every man has his price." originally meant that all men will do anything for a high enough price. That's a cynical point of view, and Friedrich Nietzsche was mistaken.
    Saying that we are only "care-takers" is a stretch too, and miscontrues the original intent of the term. If you built and own the car, you're the builder/owner. This idea of being a care-taker was brought to light in reference to some of the famous old hot rods and customs by renowned builders that were being sold. The idea being that the cars should be kept as originally modified for the sake of posterity.

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The title of the thread is..."Anyone else have a ride that can't be bought?"...
    a watch isn't a "ride", its a watch....

17. williebill

williebill

Sold a few over the years that I wish I'd kept..Learned that lesson,so now have a couple of cars that my kids can deal with after I'm gone..
    Simple economics.
    They are worth far more to me than they'd ever be to anyone else.
    So,no,those cars can't be bought.

18. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

I get really attached to just about every car I own. I was even upset to see my 94 Accord leave.

Only 2 I have not been sad to see go were an 02 Focus and a 91 Beretta.

19. kaboom

kaboom
    from STL, Mo

Everything is for sale!

20. guy1unico

guy1unico

it's an honor when i see someone else enjoying a car my Dad and i built.

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your choice. Some others choose otherwise.

22. i have owned my 55 chevy sedan 150 for 25 yrs, my dad helped me put it together(pops is gone now) it was easier getting rid of the 1st wife than this car, its not going anywhere, i have promised my best friend's son he would get this car when i'm gone...and he will

23. My point is you question the validity of other people saying that they would never sell their car and presented a bunch of hypothetical situations to prove them wrong and then proceed to give an example of the watch, an object just like a car, that you claim you would never sell. It is a contradiction regardless of whether you can ride it or not.

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

sorry man, I was just answering the question that as it was posed. And no, I don't question anyone else's choices. If they want to keep their cars under any conditions that they and their family might be facing, then that's just fine with me.

25. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

I thought I did and then I sold it...

26. True enough. But one day, you will assume room temperature, as will we all, and you are no longer the owner. You were the owner, and the caretaker both. But, once you are dead, or otherwise get rid of that vehicle, you no longer are either. Someone else IS.

27. Dave B.

Dave B.

I'd smile real nice when I told him where to stick his money...:D

I wondered if I was the only one on here with that plan. I've promised to sell my '66 to one of my young cousins when I feel that I'm no longer able to drive it and take care of it. What he doesn't know is that the selling price will be $1.00. That's so he doesn't have to mess with probate. If I die suddenly though, it goes to him in my will and he'll just have to deal with the lawyers...:rolleyes:

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I have a car i dont want to get rid of..but i do believe everything has its price..or at least a price that will be attractive enough to change ones mind.
    I have a very nice 68 charger that doesnt need much.(tune up, battery, new tires and small misc.).never really thought about selling it..but if the right money comes along..its gone

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I must have, 'cause I've blown some people off who SAID they wanted to buy our '48 Pontiac 'vert, and our Chris Craft.

30. 454navyss

454navyss

my dad has had people come up to him at shows with stacks of cash for his 67 vette and it is still in his garage, will be until he decides to let me have it.

i would never even think of selling my impala, it is the only thing my grandpa ever gave to me. if someone offered me a bunch of money while he is still alive i would call him and ask him if he wanted me to sell it, as long as i could have/buy another car from him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.