Register now to get rid of these ads!

damaged stromberg 97's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickvalvenut, Jan 9, 2010.

1. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

this is my first run at working with these carbs. so far i only bought 3 large logo 97's.
    the person i bought them from told me that they didnt have any kind of damge at all. he had opend em up and they were good.

when i recived them and opend them up my self i found that 2 of 3 carbs were damged. the two cylinders at the bottom of the body were damged, missing chunks.both on all 2 carbs. the ones that sink inside the base. ..those!.
    will this efect the performance of my carbs?
    is there a way to repair this dasmage?

valvenut

2. HotRodJosh

HotRodJosh

How big of chunks are missing? Pics?

3. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Thats pretty common. It should not be a problem.

4. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..Just file them down to match each other. Will not affect the performance of the 97s. This use to be a racers trick to gain more air. I've seen them cut completely off..

5. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

carb # 1...
    [​IMG]
    carb # 2...
    [​IMG]

6. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

File them down to make them even..The gasket will seal it..
    Duane.

7. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

That's nice....for no damage.

8. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

he's working on getting me some good bodies...if he doesnt have any im just going to file them down. i like that speed secret tho..did they work the base at all when they did this removing deal back in the days?

9. HotRodJosh

HotRodJosh

I would just clean them up. They were most likely broke off to clear the idle mixture ports that stick out on some of the bases. I've seen it before. If you are going to throw those out, let me know! :)

10. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Are your bases "V" shaped (Bat Wing), most of them had the mixture ports. Two little brass tubes inside the base..I prefer this type of base due to the mixture ports. Most want the "D" base..Lots of the older intakes, the flange area was shaped in the "V"..
    I don't know the outcome of the ground down tubes, weather is performed better or not, it seems like it would...
    Duane..

11. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

there the "D" shaped bases. so im thinking they were damaged acidently. unclemax told me that they dont perform better with those cylinders removed. not a good idea at all.
    im going to wait for the seller to get back to me regarding better bodys. they were put there by stromberg for a reason i suposse. thanks for the input guys..i appreciate it.
    if all comes to worst im going to file the damage down and fill the gap in the base with pc of tubing to even the uneven surface inside the base.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I know they bored out 48's racing, so i'd assume they probably removed most of those when boring them, otherwise they'd be tissue paper thin, you've probably seen them in person, so you'd know better than me

13. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Buickvalvenut..I have filed down four for a gentleman to put on his 4x2 intake, he didn't want to get different ones and I agreed. His SBC Wieand 4x2 works great with the 97s..No problems..
    So it's your call..
    Duane.

14. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

the person that sold em to me will be mailing two good body's by the end of this weekend ,so no need to file them down now. ill run them stock,undamaged first then give the removed ones a try. i don,t dout what your saying stromberg97. bein'g my first build and all want to pop undamaged ones first. later on when i swap out the 3x2 for a 6x2 ill give them racing secrets a try. maybe even sooner.for now im going to run these baby's stock.

thanks for all your guy's input..ill def be keeping what you said in mind.

valvenut