Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Banjo in a 34 Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Koolrider, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Koolrider

Koolrider

OK, I hauled Two 34 Fords out of the woods in Upper Michigan.. (You can have that Junk!) I am starting to build the frame. I have a 40 rear, a 53 engine and a 39 trans.. What will it take to use this rear in the 34 frame?
    How much do I need to shorten the tube, and what is the best method? Also what rear spring do I need?
    Bill

2. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Are you running the torque tube or an open drive?

3. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

You can use model t springs and up with that rear. Once you get the rear in and the motor mounted you can take your measurements and shorten the torque tube. I would have a drive shaft shop do your drive shaft, but the torque tube is easy enough to do yourself. Find a perfectly flat level spot on your floor..I like to cut mine right at the rear weld by the mounting flange. use a torpedo level and make sure you get every angle perfectly level while your tacking it back together.

4. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

You can use model t springs and up with that rear. Once you get the rear in and the motor mounted you can take your measurements and shorten the torque tube. I would have a drive shaft shop do your drive shaft, but the torque tube is easy enough to do yourself. Find a perfectly flat level spot on your floor..I like to cut mine right at the rear weld by the mounting flange. use a torpedo level and make sure you get every angle perfectly level while your tacking it back together.

5. Koolrider

Koolrider

I have both set ups, open and closed but want to run the closed on this one. Another option I have is a Merc Overdrive, But it is a side shift. So I can use an A spring? The 40 Rear has a spring.. Seems like it woiuld be more stout.. I have not measured the cross member or the spring..

Thanks for the input!
    Bill

6. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

Need more details..Are you keeping frame stock or switching rear crossmember? Within those years theres a ton of possible options. for instance, im building a 27 roadster on duece rails..It has a model a rear X, 40 rear, shortened t tube, and a model t spring

7. Koolrider

Koolrider

Stock 34 rear x member.. I do have a 40 X member and a 47 Linclon x Member

8. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Post some pic's of your Finds, sounds like you have some great plans.

9. Koolrider

Koolrider

10. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

I have a similar plan for my 33, and according to the expert ive spoken to, its like this.

The 37 axle is the best since its not so wide as the 42-48 ones.

And he recommends a Monoleaf spring, the original 32-34 spring is U shaped and a straight spring will move the axle back around one inch. And this is good since the rear wheels is mounted a bit forward in the wheelwell.

If you use the 40 spring you may have to grind of couple of places so it fits in the original crossmember.