Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally got me a more door longroof!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket Sled, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Rocket Sled

Rocket Sled
    from Hanover PA

I haven't been posting on here much lately, been tied up with other projects, but some of you might remember my 61 Falcon 4 door that i acquired some years ago.

[​IMG]

well it slowly got to be to much of a project for my budget and time to allow so thanks to the HAMB i started looking for another path.

Seeing pics of falcon wagons here really made me fall in love with them so over the past year i have been off and on looking for the right car. I needed one that was as cheap as possible but fairly complete and i found exactly that when i saw one pop up on craigslist. It was a 61 base model 4 door with no motor or trans but otherwise complete which was perfect since the running gear on mine was in excellent condition. And the best part, the car was only an hour away.

the guy shot me some pics and decided to roll the dice, loaded up the truck and trailer and headed out.

Here is what she looked like when i got there

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I looked over her real good and amazingly enough the only really bad rust was in the rear 1/4s

so after haggling a bit on the price i handed over 500 beans, got the title notarized, loaded her up and headed home

once home i got a real good look at her

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

other than the 1/4 the worst bit of rust I found was the drivers floor

[​IMG]

a far cry from my other car that has no floors at all

this thing has a shit ton of undercoating on it! some places are over an inch thick!!

[​IMG]

other good things are the hood and engine compartment are almost rust free

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the bad, both quarters are toast and the pass side was already hacked off including the wheel house:mad:

[​IMG]

and the interior is pretty trashed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but the cargo area looks solid

[​IMG]

and one last thing of interest

[​IMG]

I know what you are thinking, what the hell is on the gauge cluster? well you know every car has a history, apparently the car was purchased new in Delaware, in 88 it was re-titled in PA, sometime between 91 and 92 it was in a flood completely over the roof:eek: what you see is the watermarks left by the receding water. it seems after the flood the engine, trans and gas tank were pulled with the notion of fixing it but it was pushed in a barn and left there until the gut i bought it from pulled it out about a year ago. I believe that's why it's in as good of shape as it is.

right now the plan is to swap all the good stuff from my car into this and get it running. then do the body work, maybe shave the handles, and get it tagged and inspected so i can drive it. I'll also be asking for pics of the missing spare tire well so i can try to recreate it.

My wife thinks I'm nuts but i extremely happy:D

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

that looks like more of a project then the other, but congrats on owning a longroof. I have a 62 falcon wagon..

3. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

why?
    but i´m from sweden.
    you guys must have a lot´s to choucing from,why a falcon?

4. Rocket Sled

Rocket Sled
    from Hanover PA

it might from the outside but believe me it's way more solid that my other one

I just like the body style and they are good on gas as it will be my daily driver.

5. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

have a 52 pick up for daily no gas attal(haha) 383 big hp.but fun all the time.
    i just don´t understand why u guys like falcons?
    have a 66 nova my self and i hate it cus it is so ugly,but a great race car.

6. Monster Rat

Monster Rat
    from Casper WY

Good for you, for wanting to save the old bird. I had a 61 2dr which I spent 4yrs on getting it road worthy. Plated and insured it, drove it for about 2 weeks and got hit head on at a stop light. Bummed out, I lost interest and sold it. About 3mo ago I went to a local, small junk yard and found like 3 wagons! All of them very straight and rust free. Damn!! I coulda fixed mine!

Good luck with the build.

7. i had a 63 ranchero that was in a flood, draind 5 gal of water out of the motor, then the oil came out. it also had water in the cyl. i got it running and driveing, it would burrn 4 qts of oil in about 60 miles :D:rolleyes:of hard driving. like allways i fixed what was messed up and put in a nother motor and sold it

8. 64wagonist

64wagonist

Looks like more work than mine:eek: Seems to be a lot of patch panels around but not any of the ones you tend to need:confused: Good luck I will be checking the progress!!

9. Rocket Sled

Rocket Sled
    from Hanover PA

Thanks guys. I'm gearing up to start working on it this weekend. first thing is to get the drive train out of the other car, clean it up, paint it, paint the engine bay, swap over to manual tranny parts and drop the motor and tranny in. hopefully if all goes well i'll have the motor in and running by the end of the weekend.

10. 29 rattrap

29 rattrap
    from New York

a lot of work ahead of you

11. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

because we can like them...no one should have to justify why they like anything to anyone.

12. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

congrats man i love them falcon wagons

13. Rocket Sled

Rocket Sled
    from Hanover PA

well i got some progress on the project

First step was to pull everything i might need off the donor car.

Here is the poor thing as it sat for the last couple years after i tore it apart and never finished it.

[​IMG]

And for those that thought it was a solid looking car...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yah, it was pretty bad.

but the drive train was pretty good so out it came

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then i gutted it of every possible item that i might need including the wiring harness, dash components, column, petal assenbly, driver side rear door, door glass, stainless trim, axles and suspension and even the rear 1/4's, drivers side rear wheel tub and pass side door skin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was sad to see her go after having it for so long but it will be for the better once i get the wagon on the road.

So far i have the engine power washed off and torn down so i can reseal it and replace wear items like the oil pump, timing chain and clutch.

I got a long way to go but at least i have a start.

14. You parted that out down to the last piece of rust, that's for sure!

Best of luck on the wagon!

15. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I think Falcon wagons are great cars. Good luck on the build. Gary

16. Big Tony

Big Tony

Congrats and good luck man

17. Ingo#147

Ingo#147
    from Germany

Hi from Germany. I have this one found in Germany. Stored the last 30 Years behind a Barn in Belgium. Note this Car was Build in Belgium By Ford Europa. First and One Owner, Original 56000km. 170Cui.
    [​IMG]
    I will Restore it in this Year. Drop Spindel and 5Lug Disc Brake. New Glas and Tank.
    302/C4 from a Mustang and 14" Stheeles. Thats All.

#Ingo

18. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

nice recycling job! i think you made a much better choice going w/ the wagon

19. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Whaaaaat? And we can't find Squires that good here! :)
    Wow - super rare find over there, especially have FUN!

Interesting "upgrade"...the 1980s car bumper they put on it!