Register now to get rid of these ads!

Working on my '62 Falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StevieJo, Jan 1, 2010.

1. duste01

duste01

Well, wifey's Christmas shutdown is over so she's getting ready for bed. (night shift!)

Boy, that sounds familiar.......

2. duste01

duste01

Nice floor tech. sorry I had to peek.

3. El Coral

El Coral
    from Argentina

excellent restoration

greetings From argentina

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

you too lazy to haul the mittler out?

nice work, now wheres the tech?

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Sorry we missed an update yestidee, was a long day and was to pooped to post when I got home.

New master showed up so I put her to work!

[​IMG]

Out with the old,

[​IMG]

In with the new, got the lines re-routed too. Front brakes are rebuilt and the rears get it tomorrow!

[​IMG]

Floors are done and welded in. The tunnel is done too, I made it removable so it will be easier to get the 5 speed in and modify floor brace.

[​IMG]

The tunnel will get welded in after the trans swap.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah I made nifty bracket and added a throttle return spring. The old one was part spring, part coat hanger and was hooked to the radiator tank.

Many other little things have been done too, wires tied up, cables freed, correct fuel pump fittings, 14,000 trips to auto parts place, etc.

New front shocks showed up, wrong ones! Sent them back,, new ones were dropped off at wrong store. Hope to have them tomorrow so I can finish front suspension.

Its getting close to being roadworthy!

6. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Cool little car me and my son are building 62 coon its painted and waiting to be trimed out the car is in my gallery .The fun we have had is priceless cool car and good gas mileage !! keep up the good work.

7. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

Geez ,,I need to get out to the shop and check up,,,,she is gonna be on the road before me

8. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

after a day of fighting my daily all morning and some of the afternoon I got the new shocks picked up, shortened and installed,

[​IMG]

I also cut and welded the upper control arm to correct the balljoint angle.

[​IMG]

These were taken with the front end hanging on the shocks, it sits a couple inches lower.

Note the ball joint angle, when the suspension is sitting on the snubber the joint is real close to binding. Since we are gonna move the snubber up a couple inches I figured I'd go ahead and fix it.
    [​IMG]

9. StevieJo

StevieJo

It's looking great, Honey!!! I should be able to come to the shop on Monday, after Alex's Ortho. appointment. I'm looking forward to seeing you and the car!!!

10. duste01

duste01

I thought dohickeys went on the neck.....

Pass me some headlight fluid.

11. JAWS

JAWS

You are having to much fun....
    There's nothing fun about building a car.

Stop tarnishing the angry, rebellious, stuck up nature of this wonderful hobby with all your happy happy joy joy crap.

12. StevieJo

StevieJo

Now, Jaws, that's is soooo angery sounding. What's wrong with a little Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy crap? :p I happen to like it.

13. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

I like the progress,, wish it was warmer here for me to continue mine... good job guys

14. Deadbird

Deadbird

It's cold here too. Jay must be keepin' his shop a lot warmer than mine. Hard for this old guy to do much more than hibernate these days. Good thing the paint shop's in the basement. :rolleyes:

Nice progress on the Falcon!

15. StevieJo

StevieJo

As long as the heater is running it stays pretty warm. But as soon as the heater kicks off it starts getting cool. Then again, I'm pretty cold natured.
    ;)

16. StevieJo

StevieJo

Thanks a bunch!!! I'm actually off tomorrow so I'll be able to get back in the shop for a few hours at least. Jay did text me and say that my breaks are working now!! Woot, Woot!!! :D

17. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Not much in the way of pics again,, but, brakes are bled and adjusted, all the lights work, heater motor blows, rear suspension is finished, fuel system is cleaned, appointment for the exhaust is made!

Did I mention the horns work???

I've had these Klaxons for a while and they were missing the back covers and looked pretty crappy, made a quickie mount and threw some black on em and hooked them up. Yes they are LOUD. Makes me giggle when I hit the button!

1 more good day and get the exhaust done its roadworthy!

[​IMG]

18. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Final update for a bit,,,

The last couple days have been pretty hectic but its been worth it!

Motor is reassembled and has no leaks! Float was bit high and the idle screw was WAY off, but it purrs like a kitten now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steph put the entire interior back mostly by herself even,, carpets seats belts sill plates cleaning as she went!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She also put the front sheetmetal back on with a little assistance.

[​IMG]

Floors got some paint and undercoating while the exhaust was being made.

Anyway,, heres the good pics!! Finally got her outside to get some Stanbak on it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And heres how it sounds!!

Now for the bad news,, starter needs an overhaul (no biggie), the radiator has a hole in it (dammit), both driver side springs have little fight left (oh well, we tried), and the rear end is making death groans (thats fuckin great!)

Other than that its a nice little car, brakes are ok, starts runs and drives nice, but its still needing things.

We'll hit it again in a month or so and see how far we get!

19. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

looks great,, little things keep it from being mobile but there not major which is great news.. great job guys..

20. Zeke

Zeke

Cool Jaybird

21. JAWS

JAWS

You should do a 2 door conversion on it and post a how to....

22. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

uh no, 2 doors are for people with no friends! lol

23. JAWS

JAWS

Hmmmm.....touche

24. JAWS

JAWS

Ok then, just like OJ you coulda hadda v8

25. duste01

duste01

26. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

nothing to speak of, got is all road ready and drove it around the block with exhaust on it,, and the rear end is toast.

I have a ranger rear that we are going to put in it, in fact we got a whole ranger thats gonna donate many of its parts to the falcon.

I get caught back up at the shop, we'll hit it again.

27. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

shit, or git off the pot dude!

:p

28. sdbcivic

sdbcivic
    from West Ga.

post lots of pics! i have a wagon and could use all the help i can get!

BTW...its awsome that you guys are working on it together!

29. JAWS

JAWS

First its a falcon, then you are mixing it with a ranger..............I guess that is uh.........I don't know what that is..

Keep up the good work?

Like Traves said, "shit or get off the pot".......I say, that or at least a courtesy flush.

30. FrankBoss

FrankBoss

Love it...I been through all that with my 60 2 door wagon...I love driving the car and those inline sixes are good work horses. A little more compression and a little cam you will still get good service and gas milage. I put 500 miles a week on mine for 9 years.
    the little three speed was going south and I couldn't get parts, So I did a 8 inch rear and 5 speed swap. changed the car totally on the highway.

Best of luck
    Frank

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010