Register now to get rid of these ads!

trucks in SF Bay area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stude_trucks, Jan 1, 2010.

1. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Who's got some old trucks in the SF Bay Area? Want to get together sometime for a shoot the shit, burgers or a drive? If interested, chime in, post a pic of what you got if you can and let's get something going. Any kind of truck is cool; stock, hot rod, kustom.

Here's what I got running for now, mild hop up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry car guys. Don't take any offense, nothing against them, wish I had one.

2. hear is mine , it is very tired, but still on the road and we still do some work but not much[​IMG]

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have a half ton '52 Stude. Keep saying it's going to be a Bonneville Mod Pickup some day. Been saying that for years. Hope it's true.

4. billygoat67

billygoat67

hey stude trucks, is that a lp gas setup on your truck?

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Hey brendog, that's a sweet looking truck. Would love to check it out sometime. Maybe if we can get enough interest and organize something we can meet up sometime.

Rich, classic project, hope you get to it soon. I know how it is, time flies. If you need any Stude help, let me know. Be glad to share/help with things.

Billygoat, yes, I have it converted over to run on propane. I have posted it before on some propane/lpg threads. Maybe just do a search and you can probably find it in a couple of places. If yo have any specific questions, let me know. Would be glad to explain more if interested.

edit: here is one for easy ref.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290927&highlight=propane+stude&page=2

Anybody else in the bay area want to jump in with some trucks? maybe we can organize a get together some time.

6. billygoat67

billygoat67

hey stude_trucks i worked for a company here in IA we did lp conversions. only problem we have is the cold, we had to start them on gas then switch to lp [dual fuel].
    we ran our company trucks on lp, worked great.
    even did conversions on airport equip, and tractors.what ever had a motor.
    even did schwans icecream trucks.
    lp took a hike in price here so it's not as cheap to run.
    looks like a nice clean install, good job.

now were burning alot of natural gas in iowa to make alky, would have made more sence to just burn the nat gas in cars.

7. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

Here is my buddies F-100 we found it on Craigs list in S.F, Husband passed away, 36 thou original miles. It's amazing how fresh and complete all the rubber is. She told us stories, like when the fog came in and it was drizzling, where ever they were, her and her husband would rush home pull the truck in and wipe it down. He really had a love for the cars.

Right before we purchased the truck she sold his 52 Mercury vert, he bought it brand new, a week later he was rear ended so he had 49 caddy lights put in in the rear, scooped the sides scooped the hood, installed every piece of speed equipment you could think of. Someone in the bay area bought it a week before.

My buddy just installed the tires, and speed equipment. Merc lights were already on the rear, Everything else you see is the way it was. I wish I had a close up of the inside of the bed, the wood and sides are perfect.

Then heres a peak of the 36 build I have been doing for NoName Live 105.3

Attached Files:

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

billygoat, sounds like you know a hell of a lot more about it than me. As you know, it isn't that hard or tricky to do. But, learning how to do it without many resources or people willing to help was a real pain in the ass. It took a lot of phone calls and internet research to figure it out and in the end, it was actually pretty simple. The road taxed propane is higher than gas here too now and I think the companies make sure it stays that way. The main supplier near me is a Chevron outlet and I get the feeling they don't make much effort to try to keep the price down.

Steve, damn, those are some nice looking trucks too, really sweet. Now I really need to get down there soon to get that stuff to you and check those out. Thanks for the peek on the '36. I definitely want to see more of that. Never knew NoName had such good taste. Got to give him some props for sure for hooking up with you on that. Looks like it is going to be a heel of a nice ride.

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You will be happy to know that I got fired up and went out in the back yard today and cut out the wooden mockup of the motor mounts for my R2. And cut metal for the real things. Maybe if this keeps up I'll do some welding Sunday. The Truck is to be Packard Powered. Here is the motor in it's tempoary (3 years and counting) home

Attached Files:

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Rich, good work, glad to hear it helped with some motivation, if only just a little bit. I think I have caught a glimpse of that on here before somewhere, but would like to know more. R2? So, are you saying you are going with an R2 for the truck or dropping in that crazy Packard? An injected Packard in a Stude pickup would be blazing a whole different kind of trail for sure. Either way, that is a commendable project. Would love to be out there when you get it running. Keep us posted on the progress. I for one would like to keep up with it. I think that Packard would be much happier sitting in the Stude.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The Packard is going in the Stude. It was not happy sitting in the shop and the vega was there, so it happened. Progress has been so slow that keeping people posted would require biannual updates. I do have a Mustang 2 front end in it and a nine inch. Most of a set back firewall. But I spend most of my time and money on the '26 Dodge banger with a Morton & Brett OHV conversion head I am buliding for the little blue car on the left. Sold the old motor.

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

one btt. any more interest? maybe we should just start a club and see who want to join up.

13. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I am interested for sure!Planning may be difficult for me but I would try and make it!On a saturday maybe?

14. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Sounds good. Yeah, I am thinking just a totally casual Saturday thing. Maybe start with meeting somewhere for burgers or something. Then we can plan bigger better things like drives, etc. Helping each other out with truck projects too along the way here and there.

Let me put a bit more thought into it, but thinking we can make a first event in the next couple of weeks. Let's see who we can drum up, where they are and who can make it and we can zero in on a spot. Maybe rotate it around the bay to mix it up for people.

15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I daily drive my turd, so you're likely to see me randomly around the California Bay Area. If you see me, don't fling poo!! ;)

[​IMG]

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

el scotto, looks cool to me. No worries from me. People who live in glass houses don't throw poo - or something like that.

17. billygoat67

billygoat67

hey el scotto, best looking turd i've seen . body looks real solid and the year is right, not to mention it's a chevy.
    although i am a chevy guy, but do like old studes to.
    wished i lived in your erea freezing our asses of on this end.

18. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

That sounds like a great idea im in here is my 52 coe "pickles"
    That is an awesome Stude you have there.

Maybe we could resurect this club from the ashes of the 50's

Attached Files:

19. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Pickles is awesome!

I did go ahead and create a social group so we can try to keep up with things. Feel free to join up guys:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=441

I threw out an idea for an on going casual get together. Not sure if we have enough interest for the moment to get something going, but I am up for it if others might be. Feel free to offer up other suggestions if you have any. Maybe could even be a rotating thing among a couple of places.

20. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

backyardbeliever, damn, that jacket is cool! I am definitely all for doing that. Do you know any history on it? That graphic is killer. Maybe we need that for the group logo.

21. I live in El Sobrante and just started posting with the truck that I recently purchased.

Looking forward to meeting some of the Hamb membership.

[​IMG]

22. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

I took That pic at the CNTA reunion last lear at the richmond rod n gun club. CNTA is Cal-Neva Timing Assn. which was a Nor-Cal version of SCTA
    many a Bay Area rodders were a part of it. Anyhow I dont know anything about it otheer than it was being displayed with a bunch of other jackets. since yer in Berkeley here is another one for you. Oh and how about Aquatic park Boat Drags ! Anyhow lll get back to trucks now. i know a couple of other guys that would be into this idea too

Attached Files:

23. Il Bravo

Il Bravo

I just picked up this truck from a HAMBer. I'm over in San Francisco. I'd be up for meeting up.

[​IMG]

24. Did you chop the top yourself?:D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  25. Nope.
    That was a little know option back in '59 - The offset cab top.;)

26. ritchj

ritchj

My current truck doesn't really qualify (or run for about another 30 days) but I'm up for meeting some area Hambers.....

If it helps I did pretty much give this truck away a year ago

[​IMG]

27. Patrick46

Patrick46

Hey all you SF truck cats...just in case you didn't know, the American Truck Historical Society will be holding it's national convention in Pleasanton this coming spring...and alot of pick-ups do show up at our conventions...even though it's slightly geared more for big trucks...we love 'em all! There will be ALOT of old iron out there!!! Lotsa big fun!
    If yous guys do form a club, maybe you could caravan out there together.

here's a link to the details... http://aths.org/section.cfm?sectionid=15

see ya there!

28. Maybe post a separate thread for the ATHS convention so it'll get more action? I'd like to check it out, and maybe I'll have my Ranchero going by then.

29. I'm in the process of building a 34 Ford pickup, I'd be up for a meet up, I'm in Menlo Park

30. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

What do you mean? Sure looks like a truck to me. You're in!

Wow, didn't know that. Will definitely be going to it. Thanks for the heads up. I think that would be great to put on the calendar for a meet up.

enough said, you're in too. :)

sounds great, look forward to it.

Check and keep an eye on the social group and I will try to stay on top of it and get something organized before long. Weekdays at Jimmie Beans isn't too bad, but weekends can be a little much and hard to find enough seats for more than 3-4 people at once. There is a cool place over in Richmond "downtown" I went to a long time ago. I wonder if it is still there. I can't remember the name. Maybe a Sat. or Sun. morning spot. I seem to recall plenty of parking.