Register now to get rid of these ads!

have you ever not sold a car to someone because of what they were gonna do to it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rhd, Jan 4, 2010.

1. russnunn

russnunn
    from Florida

Once, I a early 70's camaro with a 400sbc in it and a young kid wanted to buy it. I knew the kid from seeing him around town. He was a vehicular menace and was dangerous behind the wheel. No fear, no common sense and no regard for others on the road. He screamed into my yard sideways in his daddys truck and then wanted to beat the car on a test drive. Needless to say he never got out of the truck. He bought a 73 nova my uncle built instead and three weeks later put himself through the windshield after hitting a telephone pole at 130 in a 45.

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

hotrodders vs .Antiquers the continuing saga .I dont care what you do with it as long as I get my asking price.......

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've read all the posts and I still can't get over the people who care what the NEW owner is going to do to it.:confused: What if he lies. Strips it down and uses it for target practice? What are you going to do, beat him up?

You got your cash. Done deal. Let it go.

4. I had a guy come and look at my 56 T-Bird. It had a fresh, never fired 312 with it. Was a buckskin tan 312 car with some good options. Guy just wanted the body so he could put it on a tube frame with a 4.6L OHC motor and toss the interior for some recaro seats. I told him to get bent.

He also told me he had a 392 hemi for sale..I wanted it so I followed up with him. Told him to drop it off at the machine shop to get checked out and I would buy it for whatever he wanted. It was stuck so he torched the rod caps off, threw them all away. Then stripped down the heads and tossed ALL the hardware in the scrap pile...I mean head bolts, rocker shafts, valves, everything. The crank got messed up when he torched the caps. And the block needed one sleeve. I passed on the deal...it ended up being a 354 as well. What a moron.

5. heavytlc

heavytlc

7 years ago I sold my race truck for 10k less because The big$$$ buyer was a jackass. I was already 100k down from where I started, I figured at the time another 10K would not hurt. I once had morals, I am more of a whore now, but I still have my limits, and I would still never sell that wanabe piece of shit one of my cars.

6. I get attached to some, and sell the ones that don't "have" what it takes for a long time relationship;). It's a never ending quest for me to find the "ones" that "do it" for me. So far it's my 38 Chevy (2 yrs), 64 Vette (7 yrs), and, believe it or not, I'm really having a ball with my 72 V-8 Vega (8 mos.)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  7. yikes

8. EagleFreek

EagleFreek
    from Not Here

I owned an O/T 84 Mustang SVO for 22 years. It got to the point where it needed more work than I could afford to get it in the condition I would have liked it to be. I struck a trade deal for another car and labor with a guy who owned another SVO and thought it was in good hands. He threw a larger turbo on it and a couple months later put a rod through the block and parted out the car. On top of that I got shafted on the labor he was supposed to do. Some cars I own, I could care less what happens to them. Others I form an attachment.

9. Had a guy once interested in my '40 Roadmaster coupe to use as a donor to make a Caddy 4-door into a coupe. I told him to fuck off in a more polite way. More often I get the guys who tell me my car is too shitty to restore/rod/whatever, then they want to buy parts from it. Those guys I tell to fuck off in no uncertain terms. I had one whine about a car on eBay for three years(!) off and on - and to top off his bullshit, he finally makes me an offer for one part that I'd just seen sell for five times what he offered. I sold it to a guy who wanted it to restore and made a tidy profit, though.

10. SANTO_DIABLO

SANTO_DIABLO

i had a clean 52 ford once that i wish i didn't sell. the guy i sold it to stripped all the paint off and layed down some scallops with salt water! now its all rusted to shit. i should have never sold it!

11. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Send him my way, Ive got practically the same car for sale in the classifieds cheap and I live in Dallas too. I dont give a damn what he does with it as long as he pays me !!! :D

12. sonim38

sonim38

i just sold a 56 mercury to a guy who parts cars.

13. burnout2614

burnout2614

many of my past sells have been destroyed soon after I sold them, making for good stories. I always tell myself to keep the car if I'm worried what the new owner is gonna do to it.

14. 57FORDF100

57FORDF100
    from bell

I use o have a 65 ford custom 500 was my first real classic slammed it all around white walls the works i put it for sale outside my wifes job this guy came in and wanted to hear it run n check i out when i asked what was his plans for it he said he was gunna throw on 22 inch chorme rims lift it put in a 350 tint the windows, i laughed and said ok walked back inside my wifes job n he went back into his 2008 mustang on 20 inch rims and drove away

15. 36rustrod

36rustrod

I had a 53 olds more door that i cut the top off, chopped the windshield 5 inches, extended the front doors, shortened the rears and welded em up. most fab was done, just needed a lil body work to finish her up and fell on hard times. sold it to a kid down the street from me and he welded the front doors shut cus he wanted to jump into it. wouldn't have cared but have to see it everyday!!

16. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Thats a cool life for a 50's plymouth. Sell it to him.

17. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

Haha, yup-learned that lesson. I leave the hot rod apparel at home, put on the work boots, put my hat on straight, and never mention anything about a sawzall and a welder lol

18. heavytlc

heavytlc

I guess I could add that I have steel pins in my left wrist, from my last wreck in the race truck. The grill of the truck is tattooed across my back. That was the only thing I have ever sold that was not about the money. I have seen the truck change hands many times, and it is all good.

19. I've had my hesitations... but I guess for the most part I don't mind. If I cared about the car enough, I wouldn't have sold it!

20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

...and you think he ruined it? :confused:

21. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

My '32 to a restorer. Went to Bill Ewing instead.

Attached Files:

22. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

If they said they didn't mind the rust&didnot want to buy the fenders i just let the dogs loose to chase them out of the yard............

23. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

How often do you think a buyer is going care what you do with the money? Maybe some hope you don't just go blow their hard earned cash on booze and floozies.

24. This question should of been asked by the guy who owned the ol Chrisman coupe before he sold it to George Barris. With all do respect to the Barris name and what they have done BUT....... what George did to that coupe was a serious sin and a total disaster.

25. +1

:eek:

26. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

The posts here really shock me. I mean I look on here and I see a rusted out cowl found in the woods or a quarter off a 32 and everyone saying "Save it , what shame to see it rot" Or a yard getting ready to be crushed and everyone cussing about it.
    I mean am i only one who really cares about my cars and want someone to care as much as I do. It saddens me to see everyone only cares about dollar signs and not the cars. Anyone turning that car into a dirt tracker does not desrve it in my oppinion. Just thought more of the people on here felt different about the cars :(

27. Nomad

Nomad
    from Gretna, NE

I can see it both ways. Yes, when you sell something, the new owner has any right to do whatever he wants with it. But with a lot of our old cars (to which many of us become somewhat attached), it's nice to sell them to owners who will be good caretakers.

I'm looking to sell my half-finished '51 Plymouth wagon to help fund another project. I have some cool ideas for the wagon - and even a Photoshop rendering of how I envision it finished. Even if I don't end up completing it myself, it would be great to find a buyer who's interested in seeing that vision through to completion. Yeah, it may be an idealist pipe dream, but we all want the best for our old cars, right?

If I do end up selling the car to someone with a completely different vision, I hope they're far away so I don't have to see it all the time!

28. eddieb

eddieb
    from Sharon SC

The attitude of some here is "my way" and "traditional only" unless they can make a buck or another project of the day comes along. The dedication to a particular car only goes as far as the next project or the next bank deposit. Truth is alot of the dedication and love BS is just people wanting to "fit in", be part of the gang, to be "cool"...or so it seems.
    Also, some people have issues with ownership and control. Even to the point of wanting to control a car after they sell it or screening potential buyers. Many are narrow minded as to what a car deserves, what is cool, what is traditional, etc.. They also apparently are selling the car just "because".....if you need the money bad enough, you don't give a shit what happens to the car....I've been there. Hand me the cash and take it to the crusher.....I don't care. I understand that mentality because it is survival.
    It's the two faced aspect I don't get. Don't tell me you are a "custodian" of this fine automobile, a keeper of the flame and then turn around and sell it to the highest bidder without regard to the future of the car. I guess either mentality is fine....Just pick ONE.

29. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

People can do what they want, but I get attached.
    That's the hopeless romantic in me.

30. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

If I could imagine me being so pompous to lay any requirements on a potential buyer of anything I have to sell, ............ well, what was the question? The premise escaped my line of logical thinking................I think....................