Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. copley62

copley62

2. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Copley. That's a good one from the Fairgrounds. And in the background that's either A. Arnold or Bobby Watson in Arnold's Camaro. From what I can see, it looks like a single-digit number, which would make it Watson with a '8' on the car.

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

And, speaking of Bobby Watson, here's one that appeared as a "mystery" photo on the daytonspeedwaylives.com website. I was able to identify it. One, it just looks like Bobby sitting in the car. Two, the number 8. Three, it's a Ford, which Bobby stuck by steadfastly until he got the H.P. Ranier Dodge ride in ARCA, and four, the Redd's Auto Parts sponsorship. Redd Slung (sp?) whose business was located Shelby & Broadway in Louisville, was a long-time supporter of Bobby.

And if you like photos of stock cars and any other race cars back in the day, I heartily recommend that site.

[​IMG]

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Here's another one that popped up on that site. Earl Baltes had leased the Dayton Speedway in the mid 60s and asked me to come over and flag a race or two for him. The car in the photo was owned by Mickey Thompson of Dayton, who runs the site. The driver had very nearly run over Earl on a practice run, as I recall, and I think yours truly was checking under the rear to see if part of Baltes was still stuck there.

[​IMG]

5. copley62

copley62

I have that photo on a 8 by 10 and it is number 7 A. Arnold. When did he pass away last Feb. Also go to that sight you told me about and check out stats for arca I put some on there that I had. Let me know what you think. Thanks Indybigjohn

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Saw those posts. Good job.

You're right, A. Arnold had the '7' on his cars. For some reason I was thinking of his pal, Al Straub, and the '74.' Thanks.

7. allstarracing

allstarracing

When I enlarged the photo it looked like a #7 on the Camaro which would make it "Long John" Arnold. Watson was #8 and Kulmer was #2. Allstarracing

8. allstarracing

allstarracing

#74 was Al Straub who was partners with Dale Baum at S&S Racing at the time but they always ran fords of their own as far as I can remember. He may have driven for "Long John" in the blue and white Camaro once or twice but I don't have any pictures. I will ride by S&S Recycling and see if I can find out. Al's wife Juanita drove my Ventura twice at Charlestown and she could haul in down in there. She was fast enough to run in the top five in the street stock feature. She won both Powder Puff races by a large margin. Allstarracing

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Al and Anita, Dale Baum, and Long John were all friends of mine. I'm aware of the history. I just got screwed up in my thinking.

I remember one Sunday night they were having a Powder Puff at Whitesville. Anita was there with Al and Roberta Swope was there with George. They could both haul the mail.

While I was busy finding them rides, my brother came up and said, "You're not gonna turn Anita and Roberta loose on these people are you?"

10. 6746sewman

6746sewman
    from INDIANA

what about tommy spaugh? Who bought a camaro from Roy Wathen. his car was #1 also blue with white top

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Right about Tommy Spaugh. I recall him buying the Newman/Wathen car. Not sure if it had a white top when Wathen drove it. That team always liked the blue with white stripes scheme, which I think was V.V. Cooke Jr.'s idea.

12. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

This was posted way back when on this thread, but here it is again. The last of the Newman/Wathen V.V. Cooke No. 1 cars...

[​IMG]

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Could possibly be, but I think Copley62 said his copy is an 8x10, and it looks like a 7, which makes it Long John's car.

BTW, your buddy Spaugh was one tough driver and one tough customer. NOBODY wanted to mess with him. Personally, I liked him and I don't think we ever had a cross word between us. Another thing about him was that he was one of very few drivers who actually studied the rule book. When you discussed rules with him, you had better have your rules right, because you knew he was going to.

I was proud to call him a friend. I understand he's still with us and I'd love to see him again.

14. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

Al Straub 1971

15. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

16. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

Bill Kimmil 1970

17. txtom

txtom

These results are from the 1987 World Crown 300 at Jefferson.
    I was at that race held on a Sunday Afternoon. I had been crewing a couple Texas racers at a Pensacola/Mobile All-Pro doubleheader on Friday and Saturday, and drove all night to Jefferson from Mobile.
    I remember Waltrip won it going into three on the last lap over Mader. Waltrip kept looking low, and Mader kept cutting him off. Waltrip feinted low go into three, and when Mader dived down, Waltrip went around the top, and pinched him down off coming off four to the checkers.
    This was a great race, as well as the Busch race that Pearson won. Made the long run from Mobile worth it, but it was some kind of tough driving back home. (Ft Worth, Texas at that time.)

18. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

19. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Congratulations to Chuck Barnes for winning that Polar Bear 150 for the second straight year. Top five was all Kentucky and Indiana drivers. Hope Frank doesn't catch too much flak from his nephew running third and his son fourth. Knowing Frank and Bill Jr., I'm sure those two cars were legal down to the last bolt, and their inspections probably took longer than most.

20. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

Inspection was real quick for the car I was crewing with. Safety check while we were in line, body and motor tech checklist once inside the garage and then on to the scales. Took just a few minutes of our time.

21. strawberry

strawberry

man this car looks so familiar to me, I knew a guy in s.fl. that had a car just like that, my memory ..he had about 6 kids.

22. butch27

butch27

I know Joy Fair didn't have 6 kids but he may have sold the car to someone who did.

23. copley62

copley62

Hey bnorton734 were did you get those pictures? Do you have any in color. Thanks for posting them.

24. twistedmetalvideo

twistedmetalvideo
    from Indiana

Tommy still attends the races most Saturday nights at the Sportsdrome.

25. Our57

Our57

indybigjohn, did you ever spend any time at the dirt track in Somerset (not the one that is in Burnside now, but the old one that was north of town on 27). My grandparents lived on old rt 80 just dow the road from the Yanders family. Danny always had dirt track cars. They were maroon with a white top & he had #96.
    I have been trying to find some photos from there for a long time. I'd love to see some photos or hear anyones stories from Somerset.

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Don't have any photos, and although I can't remember the track specifically, I think I flagged or visited at just about every track in southeastern Kentucky at one time or another back in the 60s.

27. copley62

copley62

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  28. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

These came from an old neg sheet I have.

29. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Copley, that's Wendell, isn't it?

30. Our57

Our57

I took these shots at a gas station on route 80 west of Somerset Ky in the mid '70s when my family was returning from a vacation in Nashville. I have a couple more but i cant find them.