Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects anyone mess with boats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stu, Dec 29, 2009.

1. flyin-t

flyin-t

gasser55,

looks great.

Clean looking set up.

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

flyin-t, wish you were my neighbor! I also have a rare Ken Baker '70? Super Sidewinder that used to rip around Lk. Havasu, Mercruiser SBC, I/O. Have everything but needs everything!

3. flyin-t

flyin-t

You know Ken Baker was Dick Schuster's brother in law. Schuster started Tahiti in '64. Baker worked at Glastron and left to out on his own with the new wrap around windshield deck in his brain. Schuster gave him a Tahiti bottom, which was a cut down Glastron Aqua lift bottom (with the little target added to the sides by my old neighbor and boss, Gil Gaska, Schusters first employee) and he started Sidewinder from there. Baker ended up suing everyone that splashed his deck including Schuster but the lawsuit was listed against Bob Brown of Cheetah boats if I remember right. I think the lawsuit could not be held up because the wrap around windshield was not an original idea, it had been used in cars before. Anyway, Baker sold Sidewinder and started Panther pumps. Don't know what ever happened to him.

I have an old '68 Tahiti I/O in my driveway.

4. flyin-t

flyin-t

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

flyin-t, I am looking for a Stevens or Hondo or the like. Something like this Stevens that Leadsled owned and sold......

Attached Files:

7. flyin-t

flyin-t

I've talked to the guy that has that Sidewinder site and posted a little info on there too. I thought it was pretty cool that someone came across the some of the old molds from the back East plant and are building parts out of them. I hope they sell some.

8. flyin-t

flyin-t

Join the club.

9. disorderlysaint

disorderlysaint

Mine. Looking for an inboard fiberglass oldie but this does just fine for right now. 1960 Orlando Clipper Aluminum runabout with a 57 Johnson Big Twin.
    [​IMG]

10. narducci

narducci

Do you remember Horizon boats in Costa Mesa. It was a very small operation and they did not last into the 80's . Our shop backed up to theirs when I was with Coastal. They made a very swoopy looking ski boat, I always like the lines, they had a reject hull mounted on the roof.

11. flyin-t

flyin-t

Sure I remember them. The had a very unusual bottom on their boats. It had big dropped chines on it, very stable hull.

My favorite ad from the old Tahiti days. We had just splashed the Spectra 20. Their ad featured playboy bunnies. Schuster showed his warped sense of humor with a counter ad.

12. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

63 17' stevens sk, ive had for a few years, In the middle of restoration now,

Attached Files:

13. flyin-t

flyin-t

gear jammer,

NICE Stevens!

Is that your Triumph Herald in the background too?

14. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

squigy, If we have to explain...you wouldn't understand!!:D

:( ...I will have another flatbottom someday...soon!

Those pics are 2 years old...you must have some update pics by now???:D
    Hows the project coming?

15. Weren't some of those old boats flathead powered?

16. rdtreur

rdtreur

My Amsterdam canal boat had a flathead, not a V8 but 4cil. Albin, build somewhere in the 50's in Sweden. Only 20 hp but that's oke for the canals. You don't need to go 60 mph here:cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. bigmitch

bigmitch

BOAT,,,,,,,,,B low,,,,,,,,O ff,,,,,,,,,A nother,,,,,,,,T housand hope that gives you an idea of what you are getting yourself into !!! hahaha

18. My bro's old hydro; restored by him several years ago. A national champ in
    its class back in '72, piloted by Chip Hanauer, who later went on to drive in
    the Unlimited class...

Attached Files:

19. flyin-t

flyin-t

36 rokit,

Is that a falcon 6 in that hydro?

Nice boat.

20. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i need to hurry up and find something so i can turn my attention back to cars

Attached Files:

21. gary9202

gary9202

22. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

[ Those pics are 2 years old...you must have some update pics by now???:D
    Hows the project coming?[/QUOTE]

Hi keith, Are you kidding, Im always buried in other stuff to get to it, Its apart, the floor needs to be reglassed, painted and assembled, maybe it would look better in your garage, It's got a nailhead, I think I know somebody that likes those,

23. Yes it is, and built to the hilt; a real blast to drive.....

24. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

It would look a lot better in my garage...when can you drop it off??:D

25. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

Hmmm, I have to come out there to pick up my chevy, probably in spring...its in my moms garage in springfield.

26. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

Here's the engine from my 53 CC

Attached Files:

27. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I love those old mahogany C.C. boats. Saw a bunch of cool restored ones with rumbling V8 motors up in the Adirondacks. Meanwhile this is all I can afford. :(

Attached Files:

28. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Hmmm...you know I don't live far from Springfield, Steve! ;)

29. mr crocket

mr crocket

There is nothing like profiling your woody on a Sunday afternoon.Im working on 50 Shepherd now. Anybody have any marine hemi stuff they have no use for? Will also consider others,nailhead or caddy marine. Going to be ready to power it in the spring I hope Borrowed pic for inspiration.

Attached Files:

30. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

beautiful boat, I had a 18" shepherd, hemi powered I sold to a guy in ct, when i lived in mass, how long have you had that boat, those are not to common in that neck of the woods, It may be the same boat, I have some pictures somewhere, I bought it in canada, I believe it was a 1957 or 1958, nice to see it great boat