Register now to get rid of these ads!

More mechanical injection questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deucegasser, Jan 1, 2010.

1. deucegasser

deucegasser

Okay,I got my new,ribbed,cast aluminum,go fast timing chain cover from moon. The one that takes the pump. Its going ona 354 hemi. Do I need to drill the timing gear for the spud(if I can find one) or does the cam or both? Also does the stock crank seal get eliminated when I use the proper damper,also eliminating the stock hub(blower motor)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

I'm not sure what you mean by spud, Our Flat Ford motor had a hex head cap screw that went in the cam and the hex shaft of the pump just sliped into the cap screw.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  3. deucegasser

deucegasser

Well hell Kris, that would work. I've seen on e-bay a part called a drive spud. Looks like a small,round plate that has three holes in it,coming out of the center is what looks like a very short piece of allen wrench. I always see em for small/big block chevys. One more thing learned on the hamb,duh. Thanks Kris

4. JAWS

JAWS

To the best of my knowledge the crank hub should be machined to work with the stock front seal. At least on the last blown sbc that we used a hub with which was 5-6 years ago, it was but, heck I don't remember.

You're probably better off not listening to me...

5. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

make sure you get the right threads for which ever way your cam spins (holding the bolt while spinning the motor should thread the bolt in) I know ford flatheads are backwards compared to sbc but i can't remeber if it was right or left hand threads.

6. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

I just searched "drive spud" on ebay $30-50, and then I went to Hot Heads Research and looked at the one for your motor $115. YIKES... I didn't even know there was such a thing I just thought every one used allen head cap screws. I'd definitely go the $4-5 route for the grade 8 allen. Is there a center hole on the cam that you could tap?

7. deucegasser

deucegasser

Kris, the cam gear bolt is there. Damn,so we're back to square one? Thanks.

8. JAWS

JAWS

You couldn't modify the bolt?

9. deucegasser

deucegasser

Might be able to get a friend to machine a new bolt with the hex dive on the head. ?

10. JAWS

JAWS

I was thinking something like that, yeah..

Something like a head bolt with a stud shaped like a hex or what ever you need for your pump drive. Remember the gasket thickness and allow enough for the cam to walk some and with a little engine-you-ity, should work out fine. All the came bolt needs to do is hole the cam sprocket and drive the shaft of the pump. Hardend also, I would think.

11. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Back to square one? Hell thats even better, just get a allen head bolt that has the same threads as the cam gear bolt. and btw we used a grade 8 allen on ours.

12. JAWS

JAWS

Perfect as long as it is long enough and also you could use a jam nut as the original head of the cam bolt would have been.

13. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

now that sounds like a helluva idea. you could just keep shortening the allen head bolt until you have clearance for cam walk & pump shaft length.

14. deucegasser

deucegasser

Geniuses, fuckin geniuses.Thanks guys.

15. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

happy to help, pm me if you need any more help I love mechanical injection.

16. von Dyck

von Dyck

BTW, cam rotation is same as crank if chain drive (CW looking at the front of the engine), opposite rotation if gear-on-gear (CCW). Therefore the CCW cam would loosen a RH threaded Allen screw when rotating a fuel pump.

17. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Actually you've got that backwards if the cam rotation is CCW then it would tighten a right hand thread.

18. von Dyck

von Dyck

Thanks Kris, what was I thinkin'?

19. Unless you've got some goofy reverse rotation cam and 2 gear cam drive to match, the cam rotation will loosen the bolt with RH threads. Its just the way the hemi crank and cam spin.

20. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I know of some who drill and retap the cam bolt to left hand thread for this very reason. Use an allen head cap screw and a piece of hex stock for the drive. Or you can just buy the correct spud. :D

21. JAWS

JAWS

I'm glad you guys chimed in...

See I told you, you were better off not listening to me...I do that, I miss little things like rotation and loosening bolts because of it..with my hair brained ideas..