Register now to get rid of these ads!

New shop calendars. I need your input!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topcat662, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Special Ed

Special Ed

Not too many ladies sporting body ink, back in the day...except in the circus.

2. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

Number 4 looks good to me too

3. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Nice idea, but the layout of the calendar doesn't really do it for me.

Here are some things I would change;
    - Change the font of the text below the date-block. It's butt-ugly and almost unreadable. Make it a serif like Garamond or even a sans-serif font. Same for the creditline on the side.
    - For a more vintage look I would put some 70% sepia into the pics. Perhaps even rework the pics with some nice photoshop filters.
    - The blue frame makes it 'chilly'. I would make it either a warm gray, beige, a textured background, or loose it all together. Make the photos fullpage and put all the text into the photo.

4. Quisera mas Latinas.

Nothing against the white chicks, I married a few, but Latinas, ohhh boy :D

So lets get with some color!!

Cosmo

P.S. I think it's the fonts that are saying 'not 40's' to me. Esp. the Eddie,s, which you probably can't change.

5. carnuts

carnuts

Since you're asking for suggestions I think the pictures would stand out more if you darked the background and lighten the foreground. This would also help to high light the ladies "features"! Plus, the more nostalgic you make the background look the older the picture looks. The darker background would also bring some contrast between the picture and the light blue border. As for the ladies-- there all fine!:D Here's a few shots I like.

Attached Files:

6. chevyshack

chevyshack

Im not liking the brite blue border. Id darken it or change the color to black or brown. Maybe do a flame border. As for the girls, I like the middle one best. I like girls looking natural. I dont like a bunch of tattoos or fake boobs. (Not that we could see them behind the metal) Id use girl next door types. I also think you need to change the background. Maybe use a couple diffent buddies garages for some diffent shots. Or find an old gas station and park a sled infront with a girl holding a tire with some grease on her hands. Just an idea.

7. chevyshack

chevyshack

See! Carnuts got it. With the first 2 girls anyway. No visible tattoos.

8. Merkonic

Merkonic

I liked no.4 Julia2 so much I just ordered one.....

9. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

Thanks again for criticism, advice and compliments all very much appreciated! I will make some changes and offer several different options as well as the ones available now. We will be doing another shoot this week and will try some of the ideas posted too. There will be a bunch of calenders to choose from either way. This is why I turn to you guys when working on a new project whether it's a car or something else.

Many thanks to you guys who ordered some already! They will go out in the mail tomorrow!
    Thanks again,
    Eddie

10. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey money is tight, you can't knock the man for trying to stay within a budget by having all the gals wear the same outf

I'll agree that it/they has/have way too much "Old Skool" influence and not nearly enough "old time pinup" influence. If the 40's theme is what you are actually looking for.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  12. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

Hopefully tomorrow night we'll shoot the new pictures with better poses! Thanks for all the input! These calendars will still be available as will the new ones on my website so they'll be something for everyone! I'll do a sticky auction with the first finished ones proceeds to go to the hamb.
    Thanks again,
    Eddie

13. willymakeit

willymakeit

When will they be ready to buy ? Obv. I like them.

14. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

They're on my website already! You can buy them there.
    Thanks,
    Eddie

15. Django

Django
    from Chicago

When you reshoot, you need better lighting. Look at the lighting in Viva Van Story's photos that were posted. Your lighting if flat, no contrast, dull color. And the girls all in the same pose is boring. What incentive to I have to "collect them all" if they are all the same pose, but a different girl?

I agree, that while the overall idea is '40s, that is where it stops creatively.

Hope that helps some. I tried not to put on my asshole art director hat. :D

16. Boozer

Boozer

Lots of criticism, not many compliments.... I think they look great, not many people are cool enough to put out a calender like this, no matter how good it is. Good Stuff

17. Django

Django
    from Chicago

He asked for input.

Don't forget, this type of calendar also survived into the 50s, which is where I think this one is leaning visually, particularly with the logo.

And I think I know a thing or two about calendars. ;) :D

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Pics look good...but would be really cool in B&W.....

19. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I have to agree with Mr Django's analysis. The calenders leave me cold. Blue border, grey photos with no emphasis on girls or product very two dimensional. A warmer toned calendar perhaps on wood, with the photo either glued to the wood or even printed on it. the tear off months would look great in an unfinished brown paper like a grocery bag type paper.

21. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Here's a quick idea of what I had in mind...

[​IMG]

22. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Other than the pretty pictures, isn't the point of a calendar that you can write stuff in the daily boxes as a reminder?

23. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Don't only women do those sort of things? ;)

Real men just forget the unimportant shit like birthdays and anniversaries and such, and read on the internet when the dates are of the cool important car meetings... :D

24. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Not 50-60 years ago.

25. 4ever18

4ever18

Since you're re-shooting photos, why not ask the ladies to smile? Just a suggestion.

26. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

I have to say VERY nice but not quite what we're lookin for.
    Thanks,
    Eddie

27. 440shawn

440shawn

Hey Eddie, I think the calender will look good.

28. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

Thanks Shawn,
    Here's one from last nights shoot.
    What do you think?
    Eddie

Attached Files:

29. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Still not enough candlepower at your shoot, IMO. So your photographer is going to have to spend some time in Photoshop. I did this quickly for you.

Attached Files:

30. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

Nice! I'm doing the photoshop so Do i just lighten the whole thing? Thanks for you're help man! I REALLY appreciate it!
    Eddie