Register now to get rid of these ads!

salvage yard in Iowa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andy Voytko, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Andy Voytko

Andy Voytko
    from Dunlap IL

Anyone have any information on a yard in Iowa that has a bunch of old cars. I've got a 36 Pontiac coupe and need the grill on the top of the hood. I've heard through the grapevine of this place, but no one can tell me where it's at. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Displayman

Displayman

Check out Craiglist.com Iowa, Desmoines or Quad city,
    I believe I came across a big junkyard in Iowa.
    Good Luck,
    Bob-Hamshire, Ill.

3. maple guy

maple guy
    from wisconsin

Cars and Parts magazine runs a series on Junkyards, you might contact them for information.

4. I know this is a little further from you, give Larry a call at L & L Classics, he has around 13,000 cars in his yard from the 20's-present. His yard was started in the 1920's. I bought parts from him before, he has nice stuff!

L & L Classic Auto
    Wendell, ID 83355
    208-536-6607 Larry

5. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

There is on just east of Pella IA.

Have only drove by, it has "good stuff" pulled up front.

David

Edit- also one in Quincy Ill. that runs ads in local trader type papers, maybe ran some here too.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  6. A few years ago I was in Greene, Iowa and saw a place called Austin Cars...I think the owner is a guy named Jim Austin. At the time there was a couple of acres of pre-1960 cars...worth a shot.

7. Master of None

Master of None

There is one in Fort Dodge Iowa called Netlands. Not sure if it will have what your looking for but I do know that there are a tone of old "good" stuff in there. Problem is hes kinda moody so going in with a I'm gonna steal this part form this guy isn't going to happen. i do know there are several complete 30's eras fords gm and some Mopar and muscle cars. Its right off of highway 7.

8. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I believe you are talking about Dougs 4-Wheelers. Has some neat old cars but I am unsure if he sells parts.

9. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Some neat cars, but from the cars I've seen up close I would say that he thinks they are in better condition than they really are. Nevertheless, I have seen some occasional deals there.

10. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Isn't "Doug's" West of Pella on Hwy 63?

11. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I've been in here several times and driven by the "old yard" about a million times. You probably aren't going to steal anything, but if you catch him on the right day you can definately get a fair deal. Its a shame alot of the really old stuff has been left near the river and hasn't held up well due to yearly flooding. A lot of the muscle era cars were crushed when iron was high because the guy was tired of cheapskates wanting something for nothing.

12. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I can never seem to remember which side of Pella it's on. I believe it is on 63 though.

13. Check out Owens salvage,,Wellington,Texas
    Bob is a member here on the HAMB

14. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Iowa is a pretty big state with a lot of junkyards... That's like finding a needle in a haystack.

16. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

Lotta good tin all over Ia. In nebraska there was a huge junkyard north of linoln Ne around branhed oaks that went way back.
    There is a guy who lists on craigslist and ebay I have talked to in the past who has a yard full of old stuff in great bend KS. I don't know where it is but anyone who lists out of great bend does.

17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Both "lotta" and "good" are realitive. I personally don't think there's either here in IA. Certainly not if you're talking about junkyards with pre '64 cars. Anything that is sitting outside for very long is not going to be much more than a parts car, and a rusty one at that. I do know of a few private collections that have some once nice early stuff that sits outside, but time has not been kind to them and they are not for sale.

18. I guess it's all relative to your point of view; Iowa stuff can't be any worse than here and I've found plenty of people who've managed to fix up cars that have sat outside for 40 or 50 years.

19. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I would not waste your time at Doug's unless you want a 1976 chevy truck steering column for $250

20. bugz

bugz

there is a junkyard called Rons in Allison, IA that is in NE IA. I have gotten parts from him and from what I hear he has a lot of cars. WTR

21. Berry's near Spencer. Iowa

22. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

there's one near the town of Remsen-was there 2-3 yrs ago.some nice stuff + a couple of coes.

23. Hal_396

Hal_396

Berry's Salvage yard
    13038 10th St.
    Stanely, IA. 50671
    319-634-3714

I posted a bunch of pic's in another post a month or so ago.

24. redoilman

redoilman
    from iowa

I was just in Rons in Allison not too long ago, don't recall seeing anything of 1930s vintage. Although he does have some stuff that you don't usually come across. He might be worth a call though as he does know where old tin can be found. Might have to wait till spring as I know he goes to Florida in the winter.

25. redoilman

redoilman
    from iowa

I should have added this to my last post, wasn't thinking fast enough! There is a fairly large salvage yard just across the border into Minnesota near Gordonsville on highway 65 north.Sits in an old rock quarry. I know that there is stuff from the 30s in there. I think it goes under the name Gordonsville Auto salvage.

26. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I was thinking the same thing. However, there is still decent stuff in the state if you look hard enough and wait long enough. I recently got a rust free fender for my '56 Chevy from a car that had been in a grove since '68. This gives me hope.

27. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Some of the cars have been sitting there for many years and show it, but there is still alot of cool stuff to see. One of the coolest IMO is an old White? truck.

28. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

This used to be a great yard when the old man still ran the place. It used to be Bridley's, but may have changed owners in the last few years. Like so many of these old yards, it just isn't as cool now that the old man is gone. The deals aren't near as good either. Nevertheless, there is alot of very cool inventory.

29. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I'm not talking good cars with no holes but I aint talking pensnsylvania-newhampshire swiss cheeze either.
    I see what guys are building on the hamb and cant believe what i've thrown away or passed by for lack of knowing it wasn't that bad. It aint to hard to find an old car in the midwest needs alot of work but is there and buildable. especially if it's going to get hopped into pieces anyway. You gotta get out of the cities where it aint so picked over. You might not be able to find what your looking for but you'll find something.

30. I was up there just before Thanksgiving. It's still called Bridley's and the old man is still around, although he was just hanging out near the coal-stove and I dealt with Duane. They seem to be decent folks. Everything is for sale and the prices aren't bad, at least the stuff I was looking for.
    There is a lot of decent iron there, still.