Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Caddo Mills

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Beep is a guy,,,me in fact. I drove the GizzleHopper back in the early 60's. Gretchen, my daughter drives the GizzleHopper now. I'm too damn old and scared of it,,,LOL. We raced at Caddo Mills a few times during the late 50's and early 60's.

2. Take a look at the the entry put here by latemodel34. Look at the picture in the upper right corner. It is a Blown Lincoln gas dragster owne by the Wilson Brothers of OK City. Way cool.

3. There is an annual reunion of all old Caddo Mills racers in December every year,held in Sache,Texas on Hwy 78..Most of the ones still alive are there.Includung Wayne Calvert,Olin Davis.Bobby Langley with the scorpion 1 redo..aand Scorpion 5 .Vance Hunt and Ed Mabry.and many whos who of Texas Drag racing during the 50-60-70s Don Ross is current organizer...dwrfab here on the HAMB.

4. Elrusto

Elrusto

Doc, I can't believe Ron hasn't chimed in on this one.

5. apound

apound

I spent yesterday at my mother in laws place that is less than a mile from the Caddo Mills airport. I got to thinking about the old days of the place and searched this morning and found this thread. I have a poster from 61/62 from a Caddo race. I'll post it soon.

6. This years reunion at the Ranch House Rest on Hwy 78 Sacshe,
    Texas was the largest yet,despite the overcast weather..Steve Gibbs (NHRA cacklefest organiser for CHHR and Bowling Green)was in attendence.All of us OLD Caddo Mills guys really enjoy this
    reunion every year...Attendees are like whos who of Texas drag racing .Even attracted Jim McElreath (Indy 500 driver) of days past.

7. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

From HRM, 1961:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Last photo above.....Wittle White Wabbit..(FIAT).and Buddy Anderson
    also in attendence at the reunion in all its 50's splendor..
    Buddy also cackled the car for us all in attendence...This car is totally unrestored....

9. Have you looked at soup up magazine. He did a good article on Caddo Mils.

10. chicken coupe cook

chicken coupe cook

11. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

My Deuce roadster was built by Jiggs Trowell from Trowell and Turner Automotive in Texas around '53. It was raced at Caddo Mills by Mr Trowell around 1955. In the early 60's the car was owned by the H.A.M.B's own "Wbrw32". Bobby has a picture of the car at the strip from 1958. If anyone has more pictures of the car at Caddo Mills I'd love to see them ! Jim

Attached Files:

12. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

Dang missed it. When was the reunion ??

13. It was Dec 12th.........Next one is next Dec.....watch here for date or contact dwrfab here on the HAMB next Dec.

14. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

RYAN...thank's for the good work! and i thaught the oldest was in calafornia, who knew? just 1 more thing too be PROUD of texas forYEEHAAA!...POP.

15. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

What is his name?

I can verify it pretty easily.

Wonder if he is one of the "lost members."

16. apound

apound

Here are the posters I have from Caddo Mills. I think they are from 1961/1962

Attached Files:

17. Race Artist

Race Artist

Attached Files:

18. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

That was all of the Caddo Mills pics that Dad has.

19. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great pictures of Altereds ... any more?

20. We used to go to Caddo Mills and Green Valley drag strip in the 50's and early 60's ,saw a lot of famous cars and drivers,,,,Sam

21. wiseman45

wiseman45
    from terrell,tx

I go out there every once and a while and look at the track and remember the good old days. Jack Weisenburg

22. We have lost a few of the "old"Caddo Mills racers in the last few weeks...Bobby Langley,,Olin Davis,,Ed Mabry and Buddy Anderson..They will be missed...

23. GregMac

GregMac
    from Atlanta

Being from caddo mills, this is really great to see. Lots of history

24. Jackie! Is that you!?! Bryan Adams class of 65!?! Howyoudoin?

25. Speed Syndicate

Speed Syndicate
    from Houston

Thank you for the history provided in this thread. It is bizarre how the past can repeat itself. Caddo is the oldest drag strip in the world and it is the genesis of a new wave of airfield racing sweeping the country once again.

This is how its being done today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkTehUixiQo

26. Elrusto

Elrusto

27. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Anyone remember a 64 Plymouth called Aggravation?