Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radio's In a Traditional Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345 DeSoto, Dec 22, 2009.

1. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i bought me one of them new fangled cd disc thingy's, put it in the player,turned it on in the hotrod, and that needle tore the crap out of it!!!

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Regarding the 4 and 8-track tapes...Yeah, it seems like just yesterday that the roads of America were littered with 4 and 8-track tapes....at least once a week the tape deck would "eat" a tape, the window would go down, and that tape was airborne!!!:mad::mad::mad:

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

My brother and I put a Motorola out of a '36 in the Model A. The one with the controls on a little round dial unit with two knobs. On the '36 it fit in a hole in the dash, we hung it on the choke-rod with hay-wire. It had flex-cables going down to the radio mounted on the firewall, speaker was there in the same case.

Couldn't hear it when the motor was running, even at idle. Couldn't run the radio very long with the motor off or it ran the battery down and we had to push it off to get it started.

Of course it wasn't a hot rod in any sense of the term. 1950.

Attached Files:

4. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Pig Pen this is the Rubber Duck.. I'm about to put the hammer down.

5. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

May I settle this discussion with some proof? I am very friendly with an old dry lakes racer and he gave me these pics of one of his Deuce Roadsters.......the pic was taken in the '40's........if you look below the dash on the left side you will see an early accessory radio.........so they did, indeed have radios in their very traditional old roadsters.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CB

6. 296ardun

296ardun

You're right, look at some of the pictures in Don Montgomery's books...a number of early hot rods had radio aerials...sometimes actually hooked to a radio, sometimes not...if the girls thought you had a radio they were more likely to ride with you, or at least until they realized that they could not hear it because of the engine noise.

7. fjordrIver

fjordrIver
    from California

I don´t like criti-sizing another one´s ride - since they probably think my ride should have this or shouldn´t have tat... I´ve had numerous FM converters in my AM only cars but right now my car has radio delete and that engine can be the sweetest music.

8. historynw

historynw

Sheesh, next thing you know automobile victorlas and record players will be all the rage. Everyone will want a hi-way hi-fi.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  9. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Lame. Just build it how you want it. All those other narrow-minded fools can drive around uncomfortable and freezing with nothing to listen to

10. silversink

silversink

I got one in my KB1;)

11. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Hot Rods can have radios but they have to be 6 volt. Man, I would give $10 for my old $5 NOS '49 Chevy radio

12. I agree my pops rides always had tunes.I remember I still hear the orlons
    coming from the two speaker 62 starfire radio. oh ya and our 29 ford truck was under the dash.

13. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

just picked up one of those Motorola units for my model a.

[​IMG]

14. I don't have a radio in my but I do have a four channel amp with an ipod cable RCA input to it. Totally hidden. You would never know I had a system in the car. Anyone who drives there hot rod any distance without Rockabilly playing way too loud is just plane crazy.

Ken The Coug likes this.
  15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have tunes in all my rides.

16. vwdave30

vwdave30

i got a cool old underdash 8 track player am fm radio that im gonna put in my model A mostly because it was in every old hot rod my brother had when i was a kid. use to have to put a book of matches under the tape to keep the tape from draggin. probably will look out of place in there but its neat and i like it. my brother was gonna throw it away when he was cleaning out his garage so i grabbed it up

17. vwdave30

vwdave30

[​IMG] heres a pic of the 8 track if ive done this right

18. H.R.charlie

H.R.charlie

There are few companies that can take an old radio and put new "guts"in them.They can be set up with am-fm.mp3 and satellite radio.I have one in my car and it works great.You can use any type of old car radio.It cost me about $375.00.really cuts down on the extra wiring for a cd player because youend up using your mp3 most of the time.

19. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Hot Rods and Rock & Roll have grown around each other you need tunes in your car.

20. Franklyn

Franklyn

The Original AM radio in my 49 works great.
    That being said, I'm in the process off making a small pocket sized AM transmitter to plug an Ipod into. This would enable me to play my modern music through the old AM radio. Can run it with a 9v battery, and as long as it's within a few feet of the radio, it should probably work fine.

21. sololobo

sololobo

I am going the i-pod route. Never have liked antennas, and the i-pod is so cean. The best part of i-pod to me is not hauling around a ton of cd's etc. Just my 2 cents.~sololobo~

22. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Do you remember the converters that turned your am into a fm? How about reverbs?

23. NuzzyFipples

NuzzyFipples

I know Danchuck had a radio or two you get that was the authentic look for a '55 - '57 Chevy but operated like a new system (ipod plug, etc.) even had one that the face plate moved down to reveal a slot for a cd. You never knew it wasn't the real thing.

Don't know if there are other models/years out there. I say go with the radio. Nothing like cruisin with some classic rock.

24. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

I've got one rod I couldn't hear a radio in, but i've got a radio sitting on the shelf just waiting to be hidden in my current build!

25. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

I've got a '52 F1 and would love to have one of those factory-looking upgrade jobs. Nice power, i've heard. $500 is just a little steep when I can hide a Pioneer in the glove box. Poor boy got poor ways I reckon.

26. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

You would have a radio in a 1940's, 50's, or 60's car, but in modified teens to early 30's cars most radios did not fit well and did not have the output to hear them over all the noise.

27. 52pig

52pig

I can't even hear the passenger in my cars let alone a radio, but if I could it would definitely have to be one of those special am radios that picks up lost air wave from the 50's, then...

28. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Never heard that one before .
    We did have a great sounding AM radio to listen to while cruising with our friends or necking with our girlfriend !
    Anything else is not traditional ! That is why they make " Hidden " radios or the ones that have the inside of your original radio redone with a modern AM/FM inside .

RetroJim

29. mj40's

mj40's

If they are built right with loud pipes you really can't here the radio. Ask me how I know. I hid my antenna under one of the running boards.