Register now to get rid of these ads!

The late Gram Parsons must have been a HAMBer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phartman, May 20, 2009.

1. Check out this video on the great Gram Parsons' song, "Wheels." And take a look at his Caddy at 1:39. Somewhere up in the heavenly beyond, Gram has GOT to be looking down at all us HAMBers and smiling. He must have been one of us....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWnQPrrWpk

We've all got wheels to take ourselves away
    We've got telephones to say what we can't say
    We've all got higher and higher every day
    Come on, wheels, take this boy away

We're not afraid to ride
    We're not afraid to die
    So come on, wheels, take me home today

Now when I feel that my time is almost up
    And destiny is in my right hand
    I'll turn to him who made my fate so strong
    Come on, wheels, make this boy a man

We're not afraid to ride
    We're not afraid to die
    Come on, wheels, take me home today
    We've all got wheels to take ourselves away
    We've got telephones to say what we can't say
    We've all got higher and higher every day

We're not afraid to ride
    We're not afraid to die
    So come on, wheels, take me home today

Now when I feel that my time is almost up
    And destiny is in my right hand
    I'll turn to him who made my fate so strong
    Come on, wheels, make this boy a man

We're not afraid to ride
    We're not afraid to die
    Come on, wheels, take me home today

Pete
    Richmond, VA

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Looks like a pretty clean '58.

3. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I like the way he alienated most country music fans by being too rock and was hated by most rockers for sounding too country.

4. I swear, he was the real deal. His music sounds as good today as it did back then. Burrito Bros. released Sweethearts of the Rodeo in 1968. Talk about enduring.

5. Been a G.P. fan for many years.Best album I have is him and Emmylou Harris doing,"Hickory Wind" on Return of the Greivous Angel.

6. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Uh,

The Byrds released Sweethearts (not the Burritos), the first Burrito's record was Guilded Palace of Sin.

But yes, enduring.

As a side, a HUGE contribution to Gram's solo career was the guitar work of James Burton, who has appeared @ the Roundup for the last two years.

Dve

7. Glad to see there's a few more Grampires on here.

That '58 Caddy was actually a limo. It was used on the Sleepless Nights album cover. My best friend had one just like it. He would let me borrow it when I had a date. Had the old 8 track rigged up in the back seat area....Good times.

I think Ol' GP was a Sportster fan too.
    [​IMG]

8. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Truth is, Gram hated to fly, unless it was on the ground!! Great to know Hambers know the man! The Burrito's version of "Wild Horses" beats the Stones by a longshot!

9. You are absolutely right, it was the Byrds. Dumb mistake on my part. I had been listening to Burritos earlier and got carried away.

I had no idea that James Burton was a kindred spirit. If you check out YouTube, there are quite a few videos of his "Chicken Scratch" style of playing (and some controversy about whether he was the innovator there or Elvis' other guitar player, Scotty Moore). James doesn't need to make apologies to anybody for his playing, though. Fine, fine work by that man.

Pete
    Richmond, VA

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  10. It was the first recorded version,too. Supposedly written by Jagger/ Richard with Gram and Co. in mind.

Question: What was the first group /first song played at the Stone's 1969 Altamont festival?

11. Burritos were there, but I don't think they opened. Much has been written about the Richards/Parsons/Stones relationship, but why am I a skeptic? Always seemed a little overreaching going on there, but what do I know? Struck me as a couple of guys with too much time/money/talent/boredom/drugs on hand. A lethal combination. So what was the song? Inquiring minds want to know!!!???

12. Not really sure about the first act, but the movie opened with the FBB's
    singing "Six Days on The Road"

13. skidsteer

skidsteer

Saw teh movie 'Grand Theft Parsons' on IFC satellite channel the other nite, definitely nutty, and a hoot.

14. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

I’ve enjoyed Gram’s music for years but to me his greatest accomplishment was turning Emmylou on to the Louvin Brothers!

15. It doesn't get any better than what Charlie and Ira put out on record. The country stuff and the gospel stuff, it's all good. I'm with you on that. Emmylou has truly been the "keeper of the flame." You can go back and listen to her on Elite Hotel, for instance, and it is just as good today as it was in the '70s when it first came out.

Here she is singing with The Whites doing Satan's Jeweled Crown,a great old Louvin favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePtYXkRbwr0

Pete
    Richmond, VA

16. off-beat

off-beat

International Submarine Band is where it's at.

17. The Submarine Band...now that's going waaaaaaaaay to the back of the Gram Parsons rack. I think he was just goofing around with that effort, then discovered he really liked the country stuff, along with the limos and cars and motorcycles and Nudie suits. Thanks for the reminder. If we had judged him on those early efforts, he would have been dismissed. Glad he stuck with it.

Pete
    Richmond, VA

18. Check out this Gram cover of an old Hank Williams tune on YouTube, full of old car pics and roadhouses....Check the Fireball Roberts pic at 2:47. And is that Daytona at 2:17? How about the red Chevy that follows? Who is that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJcsy3_oxnw

Pete
    Richmond, VA

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  19. Yeah, that's pretty neat. Parsons was great.

About 50 miles from where I live is the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. It has an entire room dedicated to GP. Among the many items on display are a couple of the "Nudie" suits he wore ... even the one with the sequined Marijuana leaves.

In case any of you fans haven't seen any of the GP videos on You Tube, check out "Sin City" and "She's a Devil in Disguise" ... Yes Sir, almost as good as Hot Rods! :)

20. Yup, I'm a big GP fan too. His duets with Emmylou were sublime (mind you, anyone's duets with Emmylou are sublime!:D)

21. Georgia Music Hall of Fame is terrific. James Burton was mentioned earlier in this thread. The GMHOF has his powder-blue jumpsuit from his days playing in Elvis' backup band. Now that's cool (especially when combined with white loafers and a '58 Caddy...that's what I'm talking about).

Pete
    Richmond, VA

22. Count me as a HUGE GP fan.

23. Verne

Verne
    from Burbank

Ditto!

24. For more American Roots Music, I'll direct you off the Message Board to the Hail, Hail Rock & Roll Social Group and check out the HiWay 61 Garage...24 hr. service.

Pete
    Richmond, VA

25. strawberry

strawberry

ain't no such thing as was , ...?? dna

26. strawberry

strawberry

where in the whole wide world did you come up with that?? :D all I ask was ..where is the caddy or the stude..its a personal thing and I would love to have the studebaker back..sorry been boozing tonight but if you find the stude let me know...last time I saw it was in baton rouge la. 1966

27. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

did he not invent the tele b bender and I,m not sure but him and Marty Stewert were buds I think Marty has his tele not sure about this cause his death was at the time so unimportant to most people not in the know......

28. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

In the late '90s I was doing a little freelance writing work for a music and lifestyle magazine called "Elixer". I mostly wrote reviews of of, well, frankly, white people music. Most of the other guys were really into hip-hop so I got the country, ska, rawk, etc.
    About once per week the UPS man would bring a box or two of cds from the record labels, and one time the box contained "Return of the Grievous Angel", a GP tribute album. I had vaguely heard of Mr. Parsons, but had no idea really. I stuck the disc in and was really moved by what I had heard, so I started doing a little research (on Napster!). What I found really blew my mind and sent me on a journey to find out as much as I could and collect everything I could get my hands on.

Thanks for making this post, I hope it spurs a few to "lite up a j" and investigate Gram's music.

29. For the definitive biography on Gram, sink your teeth into this one.

[​IMG]