Register now to get rid of these ads!

ceramic coating question??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brawley, Dec 20, 2009.

1. brawley

brawley

I bought a pair of ceramic coated headers, I didn't think ceramic was suposed to rust, but there are some spots starting to show. My question is if I can paint on top of ceramic coatings??? thanks

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

surface rust or rust through?? pic please.
    you can scuff it and paint it..or you can color sand it and buff the surface imperfections off.

3. brawley

brawley

just surface rust, im not sure if it will continue to get worse,so I thought about painting them but was not sure if paint will stick to ceramic coating?

4. coletrickle

coletrickle

I do ceramic coating every day,sounds like they didn't blast the peice properly.But i paint over ceramic all the time,what you need to do is if its a polished finish wash it in thinners and blow it off don't let it air dry you need to get the polishing reside off then a real good pressure clean and blow dry again.A light sandblast and then paint i normally use a por 15 product its a heat paint you need to bake it,it comes in raw cast iron or raw aluminum.If you dont have access to a sandblaster you could use a coarse scoure pad and abraide the surface that way but make sure its a clean surface first,the ceramic coating tends to be real good at retaining the residue from the polishing so make sure its really clean it can fry up like a bitch

5. Get purple stuff from speedway motors. Yes, its called "purple stuff" and my ceramic coater told me about it. Polishes up ceramic header coating beautifully and doesnt remove coating. I love it for all my aluminum wheels and aluminum parts to polish up like new. There isnt much stuff that comes in a bottle that I really like but this stuff is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!