Register now to get rid of these ads!

'59/'60 GM 4-dr hardtops ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JamesMcD, Oct 11, 2009.

1. JamesMcD

JamesMcD

I've always been partial to the unique roof line GM used on many late 50s 4-dr hardtops such as the Buick below. I think it's a really cool look and I like the fact that it's sort of an oddball style you don't see very often. (As far as I know GM was the only company to use this sort of roof line, let me know if you know otherwise . . .) I think all the GM divisions had their version of this roof style in 1959.

Can someone tell me if GM had a specific name for this type of roof, and also, does anyone have pictures of customs based on these cars?

thanks,
    James

Attached Files:

2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I don't know what they cal it but here is my 1960 Olds 88... P.S. ask Gene winfield, he used this rof on his 61 cad. Also they used the rof til 61 on biscaynes with a post.

Attached Files:

3. they were called "the vista roof " which probably was in reference to being a "hdt". for a 4dr. model they were one of the best looking i think.

4. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Thats why I love you man

5. Yes, GM called them 'Vistas' but, I known many people over the years who refer to them as 'flat tops'.

Steve

Hosting-
    Pontiac/Buick/Olds FALL FEST Sat Nov 28, 2009 Phoenix
    www.pbofallfest.org
    8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! April 11, 2010 Phoenix
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

6. That '60 88 is awesome.

7. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I installed a "flat top" 4drhdtp roof on my 60 elco:

Attached Files:

8. JamesMcD

JamesMcD

THE_DUDE, I love your Oldsmobile. I found this picture before I started this thread and it made me go :eek:. What an awesome looking car!

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

Attached Files:

9. R Pope

R Pope

We called them "aircraft carriers", as well as flat tops. I had pix of a guy in a Piper Cub landing on one at an air show!

10. GM used "vista" in reference to the "panaramic view" you were allowed by the "pillarless design" AKA: "the hardtop!" lets see some more views of that 60' elco.

11. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

59/60 Gm flattops...BEST LOOKING FOOR DOORS EVER!...IMHO

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I have a 59 Oldsmobile dynamic 88 "flat top". Everyone that sees it says that is very unique. I think it looks quite different, that is what sold me on the car. Now if it only had good floor pans. I am working on it, otherwise is in solid shape, good paint, runs great, took it to the Ottawa, Ks. car show recently. Couple of people had questions about it. Fun car, hauls ass.

13. JamesMcD

JamesMcD

I agree with this for sure.

14. flat top austin

flat top austin

I have a 60 impala flattop my dad has a 59 chevy impala flattop an my mom has a 59 pontiac flattop!

15. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

i like them flattops, always thought it would be cool to convert one into a 2 door

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Every time I see one of these I think about the book on bodywork that I once had. Several chapter showed how the restored the roof of a 60 Olds 4drht after it had rolled and crushed all 4 pillars. They cut it loose straightened all the glass channels etc. I suppose that they did it just to show off their talents. It was impressive but dumb.:DIMHO

We called them aircraft carriers too. I thought that they were ugly when they came out but their uniqueness has grown on me over the years.

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Is this close enough?

18. cr55

cr55
    from del

I love the Elky, Always had a soft spot for 59 and 60 El Caminos...Great looking car you have:D......CR

19. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

almost if it was a hardtop it would be better and a 59-60 buick

20. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

would love to see a better pic of it. it looks pretty cool from what i see

21. pontiacfarmer

pontiacfarmer
    from sweden

here is my flattop as we call them in sweden....just out of the container this cold morning
    regards stig

Attached Files:

22. dotcentral

dotcentral

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yep, the 60 Corvair and Chevy pickup featured the little rear awning overhang.

24. Abner

Abner

my 60 buick has a flat top. some old guy told me they were called pancake tops but thats the only time i have heard that.... i will post a pick of it later.

25. way cool, any progress?