Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drove the Metro from CO to TN.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EagleFreek, Dec 15, 2009.

1. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Some of those transmissions have no front seal (just a slinger), and overfilling them can cause trans fluid to work its way out the input shaft.
    Might be what caused your slipping?
    Just a swag...

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Your adventure brought back memories of a few I had years ago. Glad you made it safely. Now a new adventure starts, making the van what you invision.

Frank

3. 067chevy

067chevy

Great story man. What an adventure. I miss cool trip like that. They just ain't the same in a new reliable car. Ha Ha

4. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

5. 117harv

117harv

I just picked up a 49 ford bread van and have big plans for it, may post pics as i chop it.

Thanks for the great read, i have been on several road trips like yours with o/t cars, and when i'd hear a strange noise, i'd just turn up the radio...problem solved.

6. You are a brave man but that's what great stories and memories are made of - what a trip, good pics, great story.

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Well documented story and you've got bigger balls than I to take on a trip like that in an untested truck...but...as I always say: "IF you can't fix it on the side of the road, you'd better stay home." You'll remember that trip for a long time. Glad you made it without anything major...

R-

8. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Nice story and welcome to TN!

9. NoSurf

NoSurf

Good for you!

10. EagleFreek

EagleFreek
    from Not Here

Thanks everyone. It was a white knuckle ride. I had a death grip on the wheel waiting for a death wobble with only one shock and a beam axle up front. But luckily it never happened.

12 was probably the norm. At night only going 55-60 because I'm deathly afraid of hitting a deer I got 17.

Thanks, that was a screw up. it should say the half way point is Kansas City, MO.

Can't wait to see yours when it's done.

11. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

You knew the old girl wouldn't leave you stranded! Good to hear she's in good hands for her retirement years!

12. JokerJ

JokerJ
    from Hobergs

Here's mine! I'd be afraid to drive it to another county as it sits (scarry steering, minimal brakes, etc) BUT it is going to get a major transplant (full chassis) this winter/spring. I bought a 1 ton Dodge Dually w/ Cummins power for it. Same wheelbase, track width, frame width, + disk brakes, real steering etc . I'll post pictures one I start tearing into it...

Attached Files:

13. racer756

racer756

You're a BADDDD Man!! Congrats on your score. great story.

14. EagleFreek

EagleFreek
    from Not Here

Definitely want to see that project.

15. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Gee, most folks turn back when they get 2 blocks from home and realize they forgot their cell phone. Good for you, reminds me of jumping in my pickup with a gas card, a small tool box, and never looking back.

16. Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup and Ozelle the '55 Ford were both impressed when I told them about your trip. They both send congratulatory horn honks. They both want to know when I'm going to take them on a road trip. They both promise to be good and not burn their clutches up.

17. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Just shows how a rodder can make due with what he has. Welcome to Tennessee...

18. When I was a little boy my Grandman and Grandpa drove their Bugeye Sprite across country to pick up a Metro Van in Indiana and then my Dad and Grandpa made a crude ramp out of 2 x 4's and pushed the barely able to fit through the rear doors Sprite into the cargo area...that is one of my earliest memories of my Grandpa and his love of cars...usually Sprites, Sunbeam Tigers and Anglias...glad ya made it there in one piece

19. djlifter

djlifter
    from oklahoma

Wow...what a great trip and a great experience. My hats off to ya... !!!

20. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

WOW ... ballsy trip ...... great story.

Paco

21. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

A riveting story!
    And how cool to hear an Austin Healy Sprite will fit in a Metro!
    (thanks to "odrodgarage" post).
    Congrat's on your adventure.
    You are a man who is LIVING a life.

22. stude53

stude53

Someone said "Neccesity is the best motivator".

Speaking as a broke CASO (Cheap A$$ Studebaker Owner), I congratulate you on completing your Mission Impossible trip. That Metro deserves some special treatment as you can afford it, for not letting you down.

Great Story!

23. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Almost every route driver from years past is laughing right now...
    They drove these things like that every day!:eek:
    And they liked it......(Said in my best Dana Carvey voice;))
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1_NhnXMCKw

24. phat rat

phat rat

Good read. When did you do this? Maybe we were on the road at the same time. I just flew to Phoenix last Tues to pick up an 85 GMC crew cab dually w/454/Gear Vendor OD that I bought on Craigslist. Left Phoenix at 3 p.m. Wed and drove to Odessa Tx that night/next morning, from there to Little Rock on Thurs, arrived home at 11 p.m. Fri. No tools not even a lug wrench, things went great.

25. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

nothing like a road trip.
    hah, glad you made it.

26. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

"The little Metro that could" Haha

Cool road trip man!

27. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

The last sentence says it all. That is a great story. We all have one. I left Jacksonville with a 61 vwbug that I got for $50. By the time I got to Albuquerque it was a 300 dollar bug and I sold it for a thousand and bought a 63 biscayne wagon.

28. paintcan54

paintcan54

Thanks for the ride along, and the pics. Glad you and the Metro made it safe and in good shape, take good care of her I think you got a good friend there.

29. WELCOME TO 10-UH-C!:D You will love it.

Great story, cool truck. It made it just far enough.

30. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

fayettville tn,wow used to spend my summers up there. great little town.great poolhall/beerjoint/cheesbuger place right on the south side of the square. hope to see you at some tn/north al. shows. welcome to the neighborhood(well,sorta).oh yeah got a show coming up just up the road (frankin)from you in jan. frostywheels,put on by a hamber.let me know if you need any info.again welcome,ROAD WARRIOR.:D