Register now to get rid of these ads!

Protecting refurbished small parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Schickling, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Bill Schickling

Bill Schickling

I tried using the search function, but I must suck at searching.

I want to reuse some of the original bolts and fastners that attach the sheet metal on my project.

I know a bunch of ways to clean them, but what are people using to keep them from rusting again?

If there are threads about this, just point the way.

Thanks,

2. striper

striper

Get them cadmium plated. It's cheap.

3. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

I have not tried it but Eastwood sells a Cad plating kit....Do it at home...

4. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

Cad plating is probably better,but I just shoot them with some rattle can clear. Seems to work pretty good to me.

5. If you don't want to re-plate them, it helps keep the threads from rusting and getting stuck again if you slather the threads with anti-seize paste before screwing the bolts back into something. But you should probably use some kind of lock-washers (new ones) to make sure they don't work loose.

I think Locktite does a decent job of keeping the threads from rusting too, if you want to use that instead of lockwashers. Locktite Blue I think is what you would use for trim stuff.

6. 61bone

61bone

Eastwood has a kit to redo the black phosphate coating that most oem bolts have. Not expensive, quick and easy an they look really nice.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Take better care of the car than when it was parked outside for the past 60 years, they'll probably do ok.

8. Bill Schickling

Bill Schickling

Thanks. You guys are great.

This thread reminds me of the advice I would get from my dad. Two or three really good suggestions and then a whack on the back of my head to set me off in the right direction.

9. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

just go buy some new bolts i mean seriously how much pocket change is it really going to save you?

10. squirrel

squirrel

They don't make bolts like they used to.